!Where is...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    The best place in Wellington to buy a couple or three SDRAM DDR memory
    modules.....

    Looking for either 256Mb or 512Mb SDRAM DDR PC2100's 266Mhz

    Have checked PriceSpy, and various retailers/suppliers for
    availability/price, etc....

    Any I should avoid, or better yet any recommendations....

    PS. I prefer *not* to deal with 'suppliers' who can only help you once you
    have fronted up with the money, just so they can order it in the next 3 to 5
    to 10 to 20 days to sometime when they get around to it....

    I've got the money, and the means to pickup at any time; Where/who are the
    suppliers that *HAVE* the items I want to buy in stock, and available?

    PPS. While on the subject of goodies to buy, does anyone have any
    recommendations for an external hard drive for backup purposes?

    I thinking about getting a 120 -160Gb drive, USB2; Should I go for a fully
    made up unit, or buy an external drive case/psu and buy the hard drive
    separately?

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Max Burke

    colinco Guest

    In article <tBVuc.115$>,
    says...
    > PS. I prefer *not* to deal with 'suppliers' who can only help you once you
    > have fronted up with the money, just so they can order it in the next 3 to 5
    > to 10 to 20 days to sometime when they get around to it....
    >
    > I've got the money, and the means to pickup at any time; Where/who are the
    > suppliers that *HAVE* the items I want to buy in stock, and available?

    If you are in Wellington and haven't worked out who orders quickly
    already why not just go to DSE? Ram, USB 2 drive cases but only WD
    drives.
    colinco, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Max Burke

    Daver Guest

    Could try www.pp.co.nz
    Seem to ok via mail so should be better direct.

    Daver, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Max Burke

    colinco Guest

    In article <c9hde7$dtn$>, says...
    > Could try www.pp.co.nz
    > Seem to ok via mail so should be better direct.

    Why? They have to order in so may as well be delivered.
    colinco, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Max Burke

    Kerry Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:44:29 +1200, "Max Burke" <>
    wrote:

    >The best place in Wellington to buy a couple or three SDRAM DDR memory
    >modules.....
    >
    >Looking for either 256Mb or 512Mb SDRAM DDR PC2100's 266Mhz
    >
    >Have checked PriceSpy, and various retailers/suppliers for
    >availability/price, etc....

    I like Ascent and Paradigm Computers

    >Any I should avoid, or better yet any recommendations....
    >
    >PS. I prefer *not* to deal with 'suppliers' who can only help you once you
    >have fronted up with the money, just so they can order it in the next 3 to 5
    >to 10 to 20 days to sometime when they get around to it....
    >
    >I've got the money, and the means to pickup at any time; Where/who are the
    >suppliers that *HAVE* the items I want to buy in stock, and available?
    >
    >PPS. While on the subject of goodies to buy, does anyone have any
    >recommendations for an external hard drive for backup purposes?
    >
    >I thinking about getting a 120 -160Gb drive, USB2; Should I go for a fully
    >made up unit, or buy an external drive case/psu and buy the hard drive
    >separately?
    >

    >--
    >
    >Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    >Found Images
    >http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
    Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

    Kerry, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Max Burke

    samg Guest

    conz (Kerry) wrote in

    > I like Ascent and Paradigm Computers

    yep both are excellent companies but as mentioned above if you need them in
    a hurry just walk into dick smiths.
    samg, Jun 1, 2004
  7. Max Burke

    Kerry Guest

    On 1 Jun 2004 23:50:09 +1200, samg <> wrote:

    > (Kerry) wrote in
    >

    >> I like Ascent and Paradigm Computers
    >>

    >yep both are excellent companies but as mentioned above if you need them in
    >a hurry just walk into dick smiths.

    Where you can buy something of lesser quality for much more!

    Kerry, Jun 1, 2004
  8. Kerry wrote:
    >>yep both are excellent companies but as mentioned above if you need them in
    >>a hurry just walk into dick smiths.

    > Where you can buy something of lesser quality for much more!

    lesser quality?
    whats the difference between a WD HDD from DSE or anywhere else?
    DSE catalog number X7083 for instance.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004
  9. Kerry wrote:

    > Samg wrote:

    > >yep both are excellent companies but as mentioned above if you need them in
    > >a hurry just walk into dick smiths.

    > Where you can buy something of lesser quality for much more!

    They are so expensive I try to avoid them. But I have to go there from
    time to time to get a new earplug set for the radio I take on my
    morning runs. I am talking about a simple thing with two tiny
    earpieces and a thin cord that plugs into the radio. They are
    something like $9.99 at bloody Dick Smiths (the only place I have
    found them either here in Welly or in Auckland) -- and the radio
    didn't cost much more than that.

    The things should cost no more than about $1. Does anyone know of
    anyone else who sells them?

    david the bargain hunter (whose $3 watch from the $2 shop has kept
    perfect time for three months now, far better than the old $200 watch
    that needed $100 in repairs every year for the previous four years).
    David McLoughlin, Jun 1, 2004
  10. Max Burke

    brundlefly Guest

    "samg" <> wrote in message
    > conz (Kerry) wrote in
    >

    > > I like Ascent and Paradigm Computers
    > >

    > yep both are excellent companies but as mentioned above if you need them

    in
    > a hurry just walk into dick smiths.

    Or Atech opposite the Chaffers New World
    http://atech.co.nz/
    They usually have stock where Paradigm, Ascent etc don't.
    That said, Paradigm and Ascent always have this stuff overnight.
    brundlefly, Jun 2, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 2, 2004
  12. Max Burke

    steve Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > The best place in Wellington to buy a couple or three SDRAM DDR memory
    > modules.....
    >
    > Looking for either 256Mb or 512Mb SDRAM DDR PC2100's 266Mhz
    >
    > Have checked PriceSpy, and various retailers/suppliers for
    > availability/price, etc....
    >
    > Any I should avoid, or better yet any recommendations....
    >
    > PS. I prefer *not* to deal with 'suppliers' who can only help you once you
    > have fronted up with the money, just so they can order it in the next 3 to 5
    > to 10 to 20 days to sometime when they get around to it....
    >
    > I've got the money, and the means to pickup at any time; Where/who are the
    > suppliers that *HAVE* the items I want to buy in stock, and available?

    Suppliers who hold stock will have higher overheads...and you'll pay a
    small premium for the convenience.

    I do...and don't mind at all.
    steve, Jun 2, 2004
  13. Max Burke

    C Guest

    On 1 Jun 2004 15:56:41 -0700, (David
    McLoughlin) wrote:

    >Kerry wrote:
    >
    >> Samg wrote:

    >> >yep both are excellent companies but as mentioned above if you need them in
    >> >a hurry just walk into dick smiths.

    >> Where you can buy something of lesser quality for much more!

    >They are so expensive I try to avoid them. But I have to go there from
    >time to time to get a new earplug set for the radio I take on my
    >morning runs. I am talking about a simple thing with two tiny
    >earpieces and a thin cord that plugs into the radio. They are
    >something like $9.99 at bloody Dick Smiths (the only place I have
    >found them either here in Welly or in Auckland) -- and the radio
    >didn't cost much more than that.
    >
    >The things should cost no more than about $1. Does anyone know of
    >anyone else who sells them?
    >
    >david the bargain hunter (whose $3 watch from the $2 shop has kept
    >perfect time for three months now, far better than the old $200 watch
    >that needed $100 in repairs every year for the previous four years).

    Well there is your answer - The $2 shop. Got a thingie like that for
    my son. A bit too uncomfortable for my ears. But if you want cheap.
    C, Jun 2, 2004
  14. Max Burke

    Daver Guest

    If he was asking for something unusual you may have a point but he was
    asking for a bog standard bit of memory and I be very surprised if they had
    to order that in.

    Daver, Jun 2, 2004
  15. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > brundlefly scribbled:

    >> "samg" <> wrote in message

    >>> conz (Kerry) wrote in
    >>> I like Ascent and Paradigm Computers

    >> yep both are excellent companies but as mentioned above if you need
    >> them in a hurry just walk into dick smiths.

    > Or Atech opposite the Chaffers New World
    > http://atech.co.nz/
    > They usually have stock where Paradigm, Ascent etc don't.
    > That said, Paradigm and Ascent always have this stuff overnight.

    Atech looks like it'll get my money as they do have stock on hand, have the
    best prices, and closest to me.....

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jun 2, 2004
  16. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > Daver scribbled:
    > If he was asking for something unusual you may have a point but he was
    > asking for a bog standard bit of memory and I be very surprised if
    > they had to order that in.

    Yeah, and they often ask for 75%+ of the cost up front, but refuse to give a
    delivery date.
    Just try getting your 'deposit' back if you find another supplier how can
    provide the goods, while waiting for the first supplier to deliver...

    I dont take that sort of 'service' from any business that wants my money...

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jun 2, 2004
  17. Max Burke

    Daver Guest

    We have phones up here in Auckland which allow you to ring round first to
    see if a particular company has say 256meg DDR ram is in stock. Seems to
    work quite well:)

    Daver, Jun 3, 2004
  18. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > Daver scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote...

    > If he was asking for something unusual you may have a point but he
    > was asking for a bog standard bit of memory and I be very surprised
    > if they had to order that in.

    >> Yeah, and they often ask for 75%+ of the cost up front, but refuse
    >> to give a delivery date.
    >> Just try getting your 'deposit' back if you find another supplier
    >> how can provide the goods, while waiting for the first supplier to
    >> deliver...
    >> I dont take that sort of 'service' from any business that wants my
    >> money...

    > We have phones up here in Auckland which allow you to ring round
    > first to see if a particular company has say 256meg DDR ram is in
    > stock. Seems to work quite well:)

    One day you might have something like the WWW where suppliers put their
    whole catalog online so you can see what they have or *haven't* got in
    stock....
    ;-)

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jun 3, 2004
  19. Max Burke

    colinco Guest

    In article <3wCvc.661$>,
    says...
    > One day you might have something like the WWW where suppliers put their
    > whole catalog online so you can see what they have or *haven't* got in
    > stock....

    The trouble is that in NZ the numerous online retailers are usually just
    mirroring the same low levels of stock held by the Importers. Some are
    capable of arranging genuine overnight delivery IF the item is still
    available.
    colinco, Jun 3, 2004
  20. Max Burke

    Daver Guest

    Unfortunately that doesn't work anymore as many of these places are just
    listing the likes of the Tech Pacific catalog with the prices modified with
    the appropiate markup.

    Daver, Jun 4, 2004