    edition of windows xp professional x64, I hope that one expert can give me a
    good link for direct downloading.

    Thank you in advance.

    jakein2008, May 26, 2008

  2. jakein2008

    Jane C Guest

    "jakein2008" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want to try windows xp professional x64, but where can I find the trial
    > edition of windows xp professional x64, I hope that one expert can give me
    > good link for direct downloading.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    Hi jake,

    There used to be a link for the trial available from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

    It appears that the trial is no longer available though.
    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, May 26, 2008

  3. jakein2008

    Carlos Guest

    Jane,
    Seems like the only available option now is from bit torrents.
    That would be a last resource and a "use at your own risk" option.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 26, 2008
  4. I wouldn't suggest it. Who knows what you'd get with it.

    OTOH, you can always use Vista 64 in trial mode initially. And it's still
    possible to buy XP x64. If you do your research on drivers, you'll have a
    pretty good idea of what will and won't work. Also, anyone who has access to
    MSDN or TechNet images can test XP x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2008
  5. jakein2008

    Carlos Guest

    Yeah, those torrents are kinda risky and - like it or not - Vista is the way
    to go.
    XP x64 is a darned fast OS but driver availability for future hardware is
    going to be an issue.
    :)

    Carlos, May 26, 2008
  6. yes, it will. I miss XP x64 - I was a very early adopter, after all. <G>
    But I've moved to Vista, kicking and screaming. And hoping they change some
    behaviours for the better in the next version.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2008
  7. Not to object with this particular issue, but do not forget to remember that
    'Torrents' are probably the best Idea ever implemented in software. In terms
    of cost-effective distribution, there can be nothing to measure up, and much
    honest and decent work is to be had only via Torrents. When you subscribe to
    an Internet account, it should come with the immortal words of Dante - "All
    who enter here, release all hope!" and the same goes for the 'first timer'
    that subscribes to this here group!!!

    You just never can tell until the time when you can!

    The fact that torrents are so valuable also makes it the ideal distribution
    channel for suspicious stuff, but this is nothing extra-ordinary. This is
    just mirroring how Interent is set up to work!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 27, 2008
  8. jakein2008

    Carlos Guest

    There are both "good" and "bad" bit-torrents.
    I wonder which of these are "legal" xp x64's
    http://torrent-finder.com/
    search for "Windows XP x64 Pro"
    Wasn't MSFT distributing (or going to) distribute software via Torrents?
    Is the red wine Malbec taking a toll on my memory?
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 27, 2008
  9. The link 'links' to at least 30 distributions - a lot of those I would
    regard as 'suspicious'. You have to try them out to really form a good idea.
    I don't know, it just seem that MS has a way of automatically putting
    'Torrents' on the blacklist. That's allright too, but that means everything
    is going to be on that list, as I see it.

    There is one OEM edition that could turn out to be O.K. - I wouldn't
    hesitate to try it if I didn't have one installed as it is.

    That MS would put any edition on the Torrents, I would regard as unlikely.
    But you may be right - I just haven't heard that. I will certainly keep my
    eyes open now!

    And - thanks, for that link! Most any link is allways welcome!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 27, 2008
  10. I don't disagree, but am reminded of the adage - caveat emptor.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2008
  11. jakein2008

    Dominick Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > yes, it will. I miss XP x64 - I was a very early adopter, after all. <G>
    > But I've moved to Vista, kicking and screaming. And hoping they change
    > some behaviours for the better in the next version.

    I too was a very early XP x64, but I bought a new Vista x64 system,
    reinstalled Windows Server 2008 on it and re-configured it as a
    workstation, and I have never looked back. It is awesome and IMHO so
    much better/faster/more reliable than XP x64 or Vista!

    Dominick, May 27, 2008