    betas to take it to conclusion is just a thought. Thanks I am running
    vista ultimate 64/ on a Tyan 2885 board High point 1820 raid card with
    raid 5

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 22, 2008

  2. Do take note of the fact that the Vista score is not a Benchmark, the score
    keeps changing as better hardware comes to market and your Opteron score
    will keep on falling as time goes on. A benchmark score doesn't ever change
    and remember that your CPU will keep on doing it's work independent of what
    else is on the market.

    The score is an utterly useless measure for how well your Vista machine will
    perform - it was introduced as an assesment to how well your hardware would
    survive making the change going to Vista, nothing more.

    A well maintained system scores far higher than most Vista score-points that
    I can think of.

    Tony. . .

    "Matt Schneyer" <> wrote in message
    > With the new video card at 5.9 memory is at 5.5 disks or at 5.9

    low
    > is dual single core 244 opteron processors. at 4.6 Where would I except

    > find a return on changing processors or is my system maxed out. Really it

    is

    Tony Sperling, Aug 22, 2008

  3. point taken, The transition from all the dual and tri boots and finally
    sticking to one operating system on a pretty stable computer is probably
    where I need to be. The video card was worth doing but from there I see no
    real need to do anything. It is a clean install all drives but my photos
    where formatted when I reinstalled. I think I am at the point of holding
    and making the thing work. Vista Ultimate 64 on the desk top and vista
    premium on a tablet 32 bit will take some getting used to but so did xp
    and 2000 and 98. Time to settle in and learn and stop playing with the
    parts. Thanks

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 22, 2008
  4. Actually from what I have read the vista scores are a fixed benchmark and
    will not fall as time goes on, instead new levels (6 and higher) are due to
    be released as new hardware requires it.
    http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/w...indows-experience-index-an-in-depth-look.aspx

    Quote:
    "Over time, as systems become more advanced, we expect to introduce higher
    levels of 6 and beyond. This will be done approximately every 12-18 months,
    as new innovations in hardware become available. When new base scores are
    introduced, existing scores will not change (i.e. a PC with a base scored of
    2.2 today will score a 2.2 in the new updated index, unless its components
    are upgraded)."

    HTH
    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Aug 22, 2008
  5. You are absolutely right. You have to find the spot at which to make a stop.
    I do not have personal experience from Opterons, but I remember the
    technology leap they represented when they came and there is no doubt in my
    mind that they can easily run circles around much of the more modern
    equipment, even today.

    I think you've made some well tempered decisions for a very healthy system -
    change it now and you risk breaking the original concept.

    "The buck you save or spend, will be measured against the lenght of time you
    will have to live with your investment" - is a good thought, that I try to
    live by - you have got to trust your own instinct as to when you hit the
    'Happiness Factor'. If you run a Benchmark, there is a huge chance that
    you'll find some odd thing or other that you think you may want to change.

    Tony Sperling, Aug 22, 2008
  6. This, apparently, is still in the future and it will never be a benchmark as
    it is based on assesment of technologies. SATA ll is twice as fast as SATA l
    and will have a score point as follows, but that is not a benchmark of how
    the equipment performs in YOUR machine, except that you can expect SATA ll
    equipment to be faster than if you had chosen SATA l equipment instead.

    Interesting - that Microsoft is about to change this, but I don't think it
    changes the level of trust the consumer should put to the score as being any
    kind of a benchmark.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 22, 2008
  7. So far as I know, they were never intended to change. The scores are
    "fixed". But it is absolutely true that they are essentially meaningless in
    day to day work. What matters is not what the benchmark is for any one
    score, but what the actual bottleneck is on any system. So, for example, if
    you have a system where you're doing a lot of memory intensive operations,
    but ones that don't stress the CPU, then it is your memory scores that
    matter, not your CPU score.

    In Matt's case, his video card change made a very noticeable change in his
    day to day operations. I'm not surprised, there are a lot of things where
    the video is the bottleneck in Vista, and getting better video may not
    change the final result of how long a particular operation takes, but it
    does change how fast it appears to happen. Getting up to a better video card
    improves the "snappiness" of Vista significantly.

    Changing processors? I really doubt it will make any perceptable difference
    at all.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 22, 2008
  8. Matt Schneyer

    Carlos Guest

    I agree.
    Sometimes moving from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of RAM makes your Vista snappier than
    upping the uP.
    My kid made that move and now when he plays the Crysis game it looks as if
    he had the fastest processor in the market, but it is only more RAM and his
    "lowly" AMD dual-core 4800+
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 22, 2008
  9. Hi,
    you can use the performance protocol feature.
    mmc->peformance->
    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Aug 22, 2008
  10. First thanks to all who have responded. My goal in all this was to get what
    I paid for whether I need it or not. I started this computer before vista
    was out, really before xp 64 was out. I picked a board the tyan 2885 by the
    reviews I choose the highpoint raid card because it used a part of the
    board so not to create a bottleneck, pci x card runs fast raptor drives I
    made a mistake with the ram not all of it needed to be registered and ecc
    but I errored in a good way the memory is fast and stable. From there I
    proceeded on. I figured out how to dress drivers through this group and xp
    64 betas I dual booted with xp 32 because my scanners would not work with
    xp64. I worked through the vista betas and on and on. I delayed installing
    Vista because it meant flashing bios and a reinstall of the operating
    system. I did try but reflashed them when I could not see what was on raid
    card. This install vista ultimate was because I was ready for a fresh
    install. I dropped the dual and triple boot. I went to raid 5, I had all
    those extra drives. I married 2 case together because all drives were to
    much for one power supply.

    In summary I changed a video card twice. a borrowed ATI card because I could
    not get Nvidia card to work. then fast 3850 agp card
    I moved scanners to a networked computer, it is connected thru a KVM switch
    and shares monitors so it really did not move them far.
    I updated a capture card wintv 1600. Plextor usb does not work with 64 bit,
    really my only loss.

    I have taken this computer as far as I can, it is time to use it, Thanks
    to the group and thanks for the help.

    Matt Schneyer, Aug 22, 2008
  11. Yup. RAM is much more likely to be the bottleneck these days.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 22, 2008
  12. I am back I know it made no sense but I did upgrade processors from the
    single core 244 to the dual core 275 system is maxed at 5.8 there was a
    significant improvement 1.1 points. will keep group posted

    Matt Schneyer, Sep 24, 2008