    The modem is an ESS ES2838S.
    In device driver the only ports found are LPT and COM1

    How do I find COM3 ?

    TPG NEWS, Oct 11, 2004

  2. TPG NEWS

    TPG NEWS Guest

    "TPG NEWS" <> wrote in message
    news:4169efe7$...
    >I have reformatted my P3 using XP Pro.
    > Everything is working well (sound, graphics, programs, office, printer and
    > so on.)
    > Everything except the PCI modem. Each time I try to install it, the PCI
    > modem is not found and the only available port is com1 and I need to call
    > it com3 (Thats what it was before the reformat.)
    > I have downloaded new drivers, all do not help find the PCI modem.
    > The modem is an ESS ES2838S.
    > In device driver the only ports found are LPT and COM1

    I seem to have now solved my problem. I removed the internal modem,
    completely deleted all setup for it, switched off and then back on. Checked
    to see that all drivers were removed, then switched off, put the PCI modem
    back in, re-booted and now XP Pro found the device and installed it
    correctly.

    TPG NEWS, Oct 11, 2004

  3. TPG NEWS

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "TPG NEWS" <> wrote in news:4169efe7$:

    > How do I find COM3 ?

    You don't need to find COM3 to install the modem. Should you correctly
    install the modem, both physically and software wise, the appropriate COM
    port should appear automatically.

    Jim Berwick, Oct 11, 2004