Where is KiwiWebHosting?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    The people that run Kiwi Web Hosting e-mailed a while back saying that
    they were switching their servers in the US, and that this would be done
    between 0500 and 100 Saturday.

    It's now 1530 on Saturday, and there's still no sign of their website at
    www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz, nor, and for me more important, my mail server
    that is hosted on one of the blastula.net machines.

    Anyone here able to see:
    crookes.org
    www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz
    ?

    Should I suppose this is just promulgation delays, or does anyone know
    better?

    The duty guy at Kiwi Web Hosting was surprised that I was having this
    problem & said they had finished the migration at 1000 today.

    Philip

    Philip, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 1, 2006

  3. On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:34:16 +1200, someone purporting to be Philip didst
    scrawl:

    > The people that run Kiwi Web Hosting e-mailed a while back saying that
    > they were switching their servers in the US, and that this would be done
    > between 0500 and 100 Saturday.
    >
    > It's now 1530 on Saturday, and there's still no sign of their website at
    > www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz, nor, and for me more important, my mail server
    > that is hosted on one of the blastula.net machines.
    >
    > Anyone here able to see:
    > crookes.org

    Yes
    > www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz
    > ?

    Also yes.

    > Should I suppose this is just promulgation delays, or does anyone know
    > better?

    Probably cached DNS. Try doing an "ipconfig /flushdns" (I think) in a cmd
    window. The sites are there, and your MX record is pointing at the new IP
    address allocated to the server. Looks like they shifted blastula to a new
    hosting provider, or at least into a new IP range.

    > The duty guy at Kiwi Web Hosting was surprised that I was having this
    > problem & said they had finished the migration at 1000 today.

    Yeah, sounds about right. DNS is a bitch, and Windows makes it much
    bitchier through its fucking terrible implementation of DNS caching.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Philip

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:34:16 +1200, Philip <>
    exclaimed:

    >The people that run Kiwi Web Hosting e-mailed a while back saying that
    >they were switching their servers in the US, and that this would be done
    >between 0500 and 100 Saturday.
    >
    >It's now 1530 on Saturday, and there's still no sign of their website at
    > www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz, nor, and for me more important, my mail server
    >that is hosted on one of the blastula.net machines.
    >
    >Anyone here able to see:
    >crookes.org
    >www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz
    >?
    >
    >Should I suppose this is just promulgation delays, or does anyone know
    >better?
    >
    >The duty guy at Kiwi Web Hosting was surprised that I was having this
    >problem & said they had finished the migration at 1000 today.

    It appears that their DNS is still propagating.

    Xtra's DNS servers give 64.92.214.147, but Orcon's and Ihug's time
    out.

    They're pretty crappy anyway, aren't they?

    Fred Dagg, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Philip wrote:
    > The people that run Kiwi Web Hosting e-mailed a while back saying that
    > they were switching their servers in the US, and that this would be done
    > between 0500 and 100 Saturday.
    >
    > It's now 1530 on Saturday, and there's still no sign of their website at
    > www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz, nor, and for me more important, my mail server
    > that is hosted on one of the blastula.net machines.
    >
    > Anyone here able to see:
    > crookes.org
    > www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz
    > ?
    >
    > Should I suppose this is just promulgation delays, or does anyone know
    > better?
    >
    > The duty guy at Kiwi Web Hosting was surprised that I was having this
    > problem & said they had finished the migration at 1000 today.

    The dns servers listed on their whois are dead as here through paradise.

    Mark Robinson, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Philip

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:34:16 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > The people that run Kiwi Web Hosting e-mailed a while back saying that
    > they were switching their servers in the US, and that this would be done
    > between 0500 and 100 Saturday.
    >
    > It's now 1530 on Saturday, and there's still no sign of their website at
    > www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz, nor, and for me more important, my mail server
    > that is hosted on one of the blastula.net machines.
    >
    > Anyone here able to see:
    > crookes.org
    > www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz
    > ?
    >
    > Should I suppose this is just promulgation delays, or does anyone know
    > better?
    >
    > The duty guy at Kiwi Web Hosting was surprised that I was having this
    > problem & said they had finished the migration at 1000 today.
    >
    > Philip

    I host one of mine through them, and it's fine. However, I received no
    message, and it may well be that it doesn't affect me... afaik I'm hosted
    in the BoP.

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Philip

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:43:09 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > Yeah, sounds about right. DNS is a bitch, and Windows makes it much
    > bitchier through its fucking terrible implementation of DNS caching.

    DNS is a simple, elegant solution to an immense problem. It's M$ that
    screws it up, big time.

    Steve, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Philip

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:37:15 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Philip wrote:
    >> Anyone here able to see:
    >> crookes.org
    >> www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz

    > No go on Ihug broadband for both domains.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Fine through my ihug bb. However, see previous posts - the only windws
    here are X.

    Steve, Apr 1, 2006
  9. Philip

    Mercury Guest

    > Anyone here able to see:
    > www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz

    Yes. It took a few seconds doing a FIND (Internet Explorer status display),
    came back with an IP and loaded a page, so I would say the DNS is updated
    now (iHug).

    Mercury, Apr 1, 2006
  10. Philip

    MarkH Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > They're pretty crappy anyway, aren't they?

    I have no problems with them; my site has been hosted with them for the
    last year and a half.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 1, 2006
  11. Philip

    Enkidu Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > The people that run Kiwi Web Hosting e-mailed a while back saying
    > that they were switching their servers in the US, and that this would
    > be done between 0500 and 100 Saturday.
    >
    > It's now 1530 on Saturday, and there's still no sign of their website
    > at www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz, nor, and for me more important, my mail
    > server that is hosted on one of the blastula.net machines.
    >
    > Anyone here able to see: crookes.org www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz ?

    You have a map of Michigan?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 1, 2006
  12. On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:18:34 +1200, someone purporting to be Steve didst
    scrawl:

    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:43:09 +1200, Matthew Poole wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, sounds about right. DNS is a bitch, and Windows makes it much
    >> bitchier through its fucking terrible implementation of DNS caching.

    > DNS is a simple, elegant solution to an immense problem. It's M$ that
    > screws it up, big time.

    It's great when it works properly. However, things like non-authoritative
    name servers that think they are, or misconfigured records, can lead to
    all sorts of headaches. BTDTGTT-S (and I actually do :p )
    You're right, though, a huge number of the problems that end-users have
    that are DNS-related are due to the really, really crappy implementation
    that's been foisted upon Windows. I am quite often glad of the FreeBSD box
    in my wardrobe, when trying to work out where problems lie, because I know
    that its DNS works perfectly.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 1, 2006
  13. On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:16:39 +1200, someone purporting to be Steve didst
    scrawl:

    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:34:16 +1200, Philip wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > I host one of mine through them, and it's fine. However, I received no
    > message, and it may well be that it doesn't affect me... afaik I'm hosted
    > in the BoP.

    That would probably be Lower Hutt, which is where iSERVE/KiwiWebHost are
    based and where nearly all the KWH servers are hosted.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 1, 2006
  14. Philip

    Vista Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:16:39 +1200, someone purporting to be Steve didst
    > scrawl:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:34:16 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >> I host one of mine through them, and it's fine. However, I received no
    >> message, and it may well be that it doesn't affect me... afaik I'm hosted
    >> in the BoP.
    >>

    > That would probably be Lower Hutt, which is where iSERVE/KiwiWebHost are
    > based and where nearly all the KWH servers are hosted.
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Poole
    > "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Don't you work for them?

    Vista, Apr 4, 2006
  15. Philip

    Shane Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:16:39 +1200, someone purporting to be Steve didst
    >> scrawl:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:34:16 +1200, Philip wrote:

    >> *SNIP*
    >>> I host one of mine through them, and it's fine. However, I received no
    >>> message, and it may well be that it doesn't affect me... afaik I'm
    >>> hosted in the BoP.
    >>>

    >> That would probably be Lower Hutt, which is where iSERVE/KiwiWebHost are
    >> based and where nearly all the KWH servers are hosted.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Matthew Poole
    >> "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    >>

    > Don't you work for them?

    Sept 27
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.general/msg/bdb5f319025e380c?hl=en&
    March 17 (this year)
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.general/msg/6447795b88140613?hl=en&
    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.

    Shane, Apr 4, 2006
  16. Philip

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:34:16 +1200, Philip <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> The people that run Kiwi Web Hosting e-mailed a while back saying
    >> that they were switching their servers in the US, and that this
    >> would be done between 0500 and 100 Saturday.
    >>
    >> It's now 1530 on Saturday, and there's still no sign of their
    >> website at www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz, nor, and for me more important,
    >> my mail server that is hosted on one of the blastula.net machines.
    >>
    >> Anyone here able to see:
    >> crookes.org
    >> www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz
    >> ?
    >>
    >> Should I suppose this is just promulgation delays, or does anyone
    >> know better?
    >>
    >> The duty guy at Kiwi Web Hosting was surprised that I was having this
    >> problem & said they had finished the migration at 1000 today.

    > It appears that their DNS is still propagating.
    >
    > Xtra's DNS servers give 64.92.214.147, but Orcon's and Ihug's time
    > out.
    >
    > They're pretty crappy anyway, aren't they?

    They're actually pretty good now that they're owned by iServe

    Nik Coughlin, Apr 4, 2006
  17. Philip

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:52:50 +1200, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    exclaimed:

    >> They're pretty crappy anyway, aren't they?

    >They're actually pretty good now that they're owned by iServe

    Interesting.

    I had previously only heard bad things about them (although probably
    from before iServe took em over), but here's 2 positive comments.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 4, 2006
  18. On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:51:45 +1200, someone purporting to be Fred Dagg
    didst scrawl:

    > On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:52:50 +1200, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>> They're pretty crappy anyway, aren't they?

    >>They're actually pretty good now that they're owned by iServe

    > Interesting.
    >
    > I had previously only heard bad things about them (although probably
    > from before iServe took em over), but here's 2 positive comments.

    iServe bought KWH in mid-'04. There were some fairly rough patches, but
    things had mostly settled down by the end of last year. They receive a lot
    of positive comments from customers, but there's the old story of people
    who've had a bad experience telling many more people than those who've had
    a good experience.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 4, 2006
  19. On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:10:01 +1200, someone purporting to be Vista didst
    scrawl:

    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    >> That would probably be Lower Hutt, which is where iSERVE/KiwiWebHost are
    >> based and where nearly all the KWH servers are hosted.
    >>

    > Don't you work for them?

    Did. Left just before Christmas. See Shane's post.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 4, 2006
  20. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:52:50 +1200, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>> They're pretty crappy anyway, aren't they?

    >> They're actually pretty good now that they're owned by iServe

    > Interesting.
    >
    > I had previously only heard bad things about them (although probably
    > from before iServe took em over), but here's 2 positive comments.

    I don't think they are particularly good, earlier this month I got an
    email saying that they were going to be moving accounts across to
    another server, missing out the most important information (IMO) - they
    didn't say *when* they were planning to do this. Useful information if
    you need to attribute any problems to the change (and I'd been having
    email issues earlier last month anyway, and that is a whole other and
    unresolved story, too).

    Last week I got an urgent email from them advising that the dns details
    for my domain would be updated, and if I hadn't initiated the change to
    contact them immediately. Turns out they'd initiated the change (related
    to moving to new servers and hosting, I think) so why don't they just
    think and make things easier for their customers?

    And one year, despite considerable correspondence and promises that the
    problem would be fixed, they let my domain lapse for a couple of weeks,
    all entirely their mistake (failure to update credit card details,
    failure to fix the problem manually).

    I'm not actually asking them do do very much - just look after one
    domain, email and 10MB of webhosting - and there have been far more
    problems than I would have thought acceptable since they've been doing that.

    The problems aren't huge, but they still end up being an unnecessary
    hassle to me as a customer.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 4, 2006