    Thanks in advance for any help.

    This is a very informative newsgroup.

    John H
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBI?=, Apr 17, 2007

  2. HyperTerminal in XP x64 is here:
    C:\Program Files\Windows NT\hypertrm.exe

    Could not find it in Vista.

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 17, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBI?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    HyperTerminal is not present in Vista. Check here:
    http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/index.html

    I don't know if it runs at all in Vista. If you decide to try it, do let
    us know.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Tom Ferguson, Apr 18, 2007
  4. Copied Hyprtrm.exe and htrn_jis.dll from Program Files\Windows NT to the same
    folder on Vista x64
    Copied hypertrm.dll con Program Files\Windows NT on Vista x64.
    Application started with no errors.
    Did not test it fully.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 18, 2007
  5. Ok. I will write my post again because it has typing errors.
    I copied files from an Windows XP x64 installation to an Windows Vista x64
    installation.
    Files copied from XP x64 were
    Hyprtrm.exe and htrn_jis.dll from Program Files\Windows NT
    and
    hypertrm.dll from Windows\system32
    All three files were copied to Program Files\Windows NT in Vista

    Executed Hyprtrm.exe and the Hyperterminal initial setup screen showed up.
    I did not test it further.

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 18, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBI?=

    None Guest

    > "John H" <John > wrote in message
    >I've looked for HyperTerminal in Accessories | Communications but was not
    >able to find it. I tried installing it from my XP Pro 64 disk but that
    > option was not available.
    >
    > Is HyperTerminal no longer a part of the OS?

    Not that it's any of my business, mind you, but I'm curious. Just what
    is it you/re needing to do with a program like HyperTerminal these days?

    I haven't used a terminal program in so long, I'm not sure I even
    remember how.
    None, Apr 18, 2007
  7. I often use hyperterminal for testing the links to RS-232 controlled digital
    cameras, motion controllers and x-ray controllers.

    Andrew Jarvis, Apr 19, 2007
  8. In the past I've used HyperTerminal to telnet into routers and troubleshoot
    serial connections to various devices.

    Most recently I wanted to see if any of my old internal modems would respond
    in an XP 64 box and that's when I discovered that HyperTerminal was missing.
    I also found that it was not included in Server 2003 which lead me to ask
    this group about the missing application.

    I took Tom Ferguson's suggestion and downloaded the personal edition of
    HyperTerminal from Hilgraeve's site. The installation went fine except that
    it stalled on the last screen at 100% and did not automaticaly exit. I
    clicked out of it and tested the app and it appears to perform as expected.

    By the way I never was able to get one of my old modems to work so I
    purchased a US Robotics 5670 internal. The drivers installed OK but the
    bundled fax software did not, which will lead me to my next post.

    Thanks to everybody for their helpful replies.
    --
    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=, Apr 19, 2007
  9. Search for and download PuttyTel. It's much better and just a small
    executable.

    - R

    Rafael R. [Live Butterfly], Apr 19, 2007