    noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback transformer. Where is that,
    in the computer or the monitor or is there one in both?.
    josey.

    josey, Jan 4, 2009

  2. josey

    Wog George Guest

    "josey" <> wrote in message
    news:xoW7l.7381$...
    > Hi'
    > My computer has shut down and won't re boot, the tower makes a whistling
    > noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback transformer. Where is
    > that, in the computer or the monitor or is there one in both?.
    > josey.

    A Google search would have been quicker than asking the question.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 96,000 for "flyback transformer". (0.16 seconds)

    The top match was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_transformer, and it
    appears pretty good.

    --
    George
    "From what I've been presented and the evidence put forth, the court has no

    Wog George, Jan 4, 2009

  3. josey

    Guest

    "josey" <> wrote:

    >Hi'
    >My computer has shut down and won't re boot, the tower makes a whistling
    >noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback transformer. Where is that,
    >in the computer or the monitor or is there one in both?.
    >josey.

    It's at the other end of the wire that clamps on to the CRT monitor
    inside the case - very dangerous.

    Might not kill you but will sure throw you against a wall.

    Don't go there.

    --

    Blue Ball Machine (Classic GIF Returned)
    http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/

    , Jan 4, 2009
  4. josey

    josey Guest

    Thank you for responding, I did Google search but it only showed Monitors.
    There was some doubt in my mind about the actual computer, that's why I
    asked as I wasn't sure. Thank you for the link, I had read that but as I
    said someone thought it may have also been in the computer as well, when in
    doubt ask!.

    Thank to Blue Ball Machine for your input.
    Josey.

    josey, Jan 4, 2009
  5. josey

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 00:00:51 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >That transformer is the big electrical copper wiring on the end of the
    >CRT.

    WTF?

    >DO NOT TOUCH!

    Good advice.

    >If you must touch it, unplug the monitor and leave it alone for a
    >week. Seriously.

    Wow... WTF dude.. Only a week eh? Wow..

    Evan Platt, Jan 4, 2009
  6. josey

    Wog George Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 03:53:01 GMT, "josey" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi'
    >>My computer has shut down and won't re boot, the tower makes a whistling
    >>noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback transformer. Where is
    >>that,
    >>in the computer or the monitor or is there one in both?.
    >>josey.
    >>

    > That transformer is the big electrical copper wiring on the end of the
    > CRT.
    >
    > DO NOT TOUCH!
    >
    > If you must touch it, unplug the monitor and leave it alone for a
    > week. Seriously.
    >
    > Then, make damn sure you have somebody else around with a long dry
    > towel. If you get zapped, they will use the towel to wrap around your
    > waist and yank you away from it. Even then, this could be a dangerous
    > maneuver.

    For greater safety, hold the towel yourself and let the other guy work on
    the monitor.

    --
    George
    "In the outside world I am a simple geologist, but in here I am Falcor,

    Wog George, Jan 4, 2009
  7. josey

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 05:21:51 GMT, "Wog George"
    <> wrote:

    >For greater safety, hold the towel yourself and let the other guy work on
    >the monitor.

    I say let RtS work on the monitor. While it's plugged in.

    Take him out of the gene pool.

    While they're at it, maybe get some help from chucktard and WeIrDo
    Scotty.

    Evan Platt, Jan 4, 2009
  8. josey

    josey Guest

    Thanks everyone, I won't touch anything. I've unplugged the computer and
    monitor from the main power now. Hmm!. must look up inductor.
    Thanks again.
    Josey.

    josey, Jan 4, 2009
  9. josey

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 00:26:51 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Well when you see a guy discharge an unplugged tv set, you'll
    >understand.

    Uhhh re-read my message. I completely understand.

    >Specially when he's doing it with his bare hand on that coil.
    >It takes no less than 3 full days for the capacitors to fully
    >discharge. I've been kicked by that coil so I know what it feels like.
    >Think of how it must feel like to get tasered and you get the idea.

    Try it again. Apparently it didn't work the first time.

    Evan Platt, Jan 4, 2009
  10. josey

    Peeassha Guest

    "josey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi'
    > My computer has shut down and won't re boot, the tower makes a whistling
    > noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback transformer. Where is
    > that, in the computer or the monitor or is there one in both?.
    > josey.

    Just reseat the suction cup with petroleum jelly.

    Peeassha, Jan 4, 2009
  11. josey

    PeeCee Guest

    "josey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi'
    > My computer has shut down and won't re boot, the tower makes a whistling
    > noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback transformer. Where is
    > that, in the computer or the monitor or is there one in both?.
    > josey.

    Joesy

    It amazes me how these threads can go of at such a tangent.
    A little bit of knowledge, throw in a few geeky terms and hey presto,
    instant confusion.

    Now if I read your post correctly:
    A it's your "Tower" that is not starting.
    B your "Tower" is emitting a whistling noise.
    C 'someone' thinks it's a failed flyback transformer.

    Lets deal with C first.
    Flyback transformers are a part of CRT monitors and yes when they fail they
    'can' emit a whistling noise.
    Your 'Tower' does 'not' contain a flyback transformer so the whistling noise
    must be coming from something else.
    Also you quite clearly identified the "Tower" as the source of the whistling
    sound, not the monitor.

    A & B
    A 'Tower' usually contains two potential sources of the 'whistling' sound
    (though not exclusively so)
    1 Motherboard inductors
    2 Power supply inductors.

    These inductors (round Torroid rings of ferrite with wire wound over them on
    the motherboard, similar torroids and transformers in the power supply) are
    usually part of a 'Switch mode' power supply that opperates out of normal
    human hearing.
    When a fault develops in the switch mode circuitry the operating frequency
    of these switch mode supplies can drop down into the human hearing range.
    Therefore the most sensible (and quickest) diagnosis is to open the case and
    precisely locate the source, motherboard or power supply.

    Motherboard inductors don't usually fail but may emit a whistle if their
    windings are loose.
    This can easily be tested by proding them with an 'insulated' plastic stick,
    gently pressing against the windings.
    However the one's I've seen the PC worked as normal, just made this
    whistling noise.
    Cured by hot gluing the torroid windings.

    My pick however would be the power supply.
    Usually if the supply is overloaded it will just shut down.
    But if a component or two has drifted out of spec...
    Dangerous voltages inside, best tested by substituting another power supply.
    If it fires up ok then it's the power supply, if it doesn't then it's
    probably a high current short somewhere.
    Check for loose screws, blown caps, etc.

    Best luck and let us know what the fault was.
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 4, 2009
  12. josey wrote:

    > Thanks everyone, I won't touch anything. I've unplugged the computer and
    > monitor from the main power now. Hmm!. must look up inductor.
    > Thanks again.

    If it's the _computer_, you will have to exchange the powersupply. It is the
    rectangular box usually held by 4 screws on the backside, with the mains
    socket. No danger at all, unless you open that rectangular box itself.
    Of course, unplug the mains before you begin the work.
    If it is a "whitebox" computer, a standard PSU will fit, but make sure it
    has connectors for your harddrive (sata and ide are different) and at least
    the same wattage as your old one.
    Still there is no guarantee the fault isn't on your mainboard ...

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 4, 2009
  13. josey

    chuckcar Guest

    "josey" <> wrote in

    > Hi'
    > My computer has shut down and won't re boot, the tower makes a whistling
    > noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback transformer. Where is
    > that, in the computer or the monitor or is there one in both?.
    > josey.

    The computer doesn't turn on at *all* or it doesn't boot? It sounds like
    you might be talking about the fan on the power supply. Does the power
    light on the monitor change from amber to green? The power supply for your
    monitor has *nothing* to do with your computer BTW. If you know that
    little, taking it in for service would be the best thing.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 4, 2009
  14. josey

    Buffalo Guest

    josey wrote:
    > Hi'
    > My computer has shut down and won't re boot, the tower makes a
    > whistling noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback
    > transformer. Where is that, in the computer or the monitor or is
    > there one in both?.
    > josey.

    Have you tried shutting it off and unplugging it for several minutes?
    Try it. Also, if anyone has been fooling around at the back of the tower,
    its possible that the voltage selector switch on the back (Powere Supply
    Unit) got moved from its proper position (115v-230v).
    When you try to boot it, does it give any beeps, etc.

    Buffalo, Jan 4, 2009
  15. josey

    Buffalo Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 21:09:51 -0800, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 00:00:51 -0500, richard <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> That transformer is the big electrical copper wiring on the end of
    >>> the CRT.

    >> WTF?
    >>
    >>> DO NOT TOUCH!

    >> Good advice.
    >>
    >>> If you must touch it, unplug the monitor and leave it alone for a
    >>> week. Seriously.

    >> Wow... WTF dude.. Only a week eh? Wow..

    Actually, you can discharge it rather quickly by just peeing on it while
    your well grounded. :)

    NO, I AM ONLY JOKING.

    Buffalo, Jan 4, 2009
  16. josey

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 22:24:15 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >BTW. If you know that little

    Lol.. words of wisdom from the expert.

    Evan Platt, Jan 4, 2009
  17. josey

    Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >>Wow... WTF dude.. Only a week eh? Wow..

    >Well when you see a guy discharge an unplugged tv set, you'll
    >understand.
    >Specially when he's doing it with his bare hand on that coil.
    >It takes no less than 3 full days for the capacitors to fully
    >discharge. I've been kicked by that coil so I know what it feels like.
    >Think of how it must feel like to get tasered and you get the idea.

    Jesus, you just take a pair of insulated of pliers and pull the plug
    from the monitor and touch it to the TV chasie - Done - it's
    discharged itself, just be sure to unplug the T.V before working on
    it.

    I do let it sit an hour or two just incase :) and make it a habit to
    avoid touching the CRT Tube.

    I've worked on a T.V. or two in my time, mostly the old tube type (non
    transistor). and yes I've been tossed against a wall or two in my
    time.

    --

    Subtle Ad (Hint: Lubricant)
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/19/113272962_1a8e1d6a0e.jpg?v=0

    , Jan 5, 2009
  18. josey

    josey Guest

    Hi' Again,
    Just thought I would come back and let you all know what the problem was. I
    was surprised to see some more people had added some advice to my thread,
    thank you for that I feel I've learned something more. Yes, I did turn
    everything off before I started posting and took the power cord out and
    back in, also I did know that the light on the monitor changes from amber to
    green, I do know that much. I am not very big or strong girl and I cannot
    lift my computer tower or the monitor and for a couple of weeks I am alone
    so there was no one to lift it for me. I resorted to ringing a technician
    who comes to the house, I could not believe what he found and I hope he is
    correct. He took the RAM stick out blew on it and reseated it, heck I could
    have done that myself as I do know how to put RAM sticks in and or clean
    them. Everything worked after that, I couldn't believe my eyes. I could have
    at least pulled the tower out of it's little spot and taken the side off to
    do what the tech guy did. Anyway, he only charged me $30 and it's all
    working now.
    Many thanks to everyone for your advice.
    Josey.

    josey, Jan 5, 2009
  19. josey

    PeeCee Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >>But if a component or two has drifted out of spec...
    >>Dangerous voltages inside, best tested by substituting another power
    >>supply.
    >>If it fires up ok then it's the power supply, if it doesn't then it's
    >>probably a high current short somewhere.
    >>Check for loose screws, blown caps, etc.
    >>
    >>Best luck and let us know what the fault was.
    >>Paul.

    > About what my conclusion was. I just didn't know how to explain it all
    > correctly as you did.
    > I never have understood what the purpose of a torroid is and what
    > exactly it does. But a little research now makes that history.
    >
    > From what you're saying then is, at some point in time when the coils
    > loosen, this causes the resonating frequency to drop and thus audible.
    > I can buy that. Personally, I'd rather replace the damn thing than try

    Almost right.
    Loosening doesn't usually cause the frequency to drop, but if the frequency
    is in the audible range the coils are now free to imart the sound to the air
    > your ears.

    Inductors on motherboards are usually quite robustly built, however other
    inductors made with finer wire and subject to higher voltages can develop
    shorts between the turns.
    This then alters the resonant frequency and is one of the reasons flyback
    transformers so often exhibit the 'whistling' failure symptom.

    It's interesting to note the cause of the OP's problems turned out to be
    nothing to do with inductors in the end (loose RAM stick)
    Which just goes to show just how 'hands on' troubleshooting so often needs
    to be.

    P.

    PeeCee, Jan 5, 2009
  20. josey

    PeeCee Guest

    "josey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi' Again,
    > Just thought I would come back and let you all know what the problem was.
    > I was surprised to see some more people had added some advice to my
    > thread, thank you for that I feel I've learned something more. Yes, I did
    > turn everything off before I started posting and took the power cord out
    > and back in, also I did know that the light on the monitor changes from
    > amber to green, I do know that much. I am not very big or strong girl and
    > I cannot lift my computer tower or the monitor and for a couple of weeks I
    > am alone so there was no one to lift it for me. I resorted to ringing a
    > technician who comes to the house, I could not believe what he found and I
    > hope he is correct. He took the RAM stick out blew on it and reseated it,
    > heck I could have done that myself as I do know how to put RAM sticks in
    > and or clean them. Everything worked after that, I couldn't believe my
    > eyes. I could have at least pulled the tower out of it's little spot and
    > taken the side off to do what the tech guy did. Anyway, he only charged me
    > $30 and it's all working now.
    > Many thanks to everyone for your advice.
    > Josey.
    >
    > "Buffalo" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> josey wrote:
    >>> Hi'
    >>> My computer has shut down and won't re boot, the tower makes a
    >>> whistling noise, it's thought that it is a failed flyback
    >>> transformer. Where is that, in the computer or the monitor or is
    >>> there one in both?.
    >>> josey.

    >> Have you tried shutting it off and unplugging it for several minutes?
    >> Try it. Also, if anyone has been fooling around at the back of the tower,
    >> its possible that the voltage selector switch on the back (Powere Supply
    >> Unit) got moved from its proper position (115v-230v).
    >> When you try to boot it, does it give any beeps, etc.

    Hi Josey

    Thanks for posting the result.
    As I said to someone else it just shows how 'hands on' effective
    troubleshooting is.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 5, 2009