Where have you been going on the internet?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve B, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    Incidentally, speaking (under the "Don't let our Fuhrer" thread in
    nz.general and previously) about checks on web access, does your ISP
    keep a detailed log of your accesses?

    Paradise.net does and mine makes fascinating reading this morning. I
    have unkown to myself been to google.com (216.239.53.89) a number of
    times (which leads me to wonder exactly how much of the internet
    Google runs - I think these were newsgroup accesses).

    I have also allegedly accessed:
    tierra.net (209.240.133.249 whatever, wherever that is),
    upatras.gr (150.140.191.102)
    and Tridel Technologies in the Philippines (203.167.25.137).

    I disclaim all knowledge of these sites and whatever might be stored
    at them. But they're on my record.

    Anyone else care to check?

    Steve B.
    Steve B, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:00:33 +1300, Steve B
    <> wrote:
    >I have unkown to myself been to google.com (216.239.53.89) a number of
    >times (which leads me to wonder exactly how much of the internet
    >Google runs - I think these were newsgroup accesses).

    By which I mean regular accesses through Agent using (as far as I was
    aware) Paradise's own news server. They were not groups.google.com
    acceses.

    Steve B
    Steve B, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Steve B

    shannon Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > Incidentally, speaking (under the "Don't let our Fuhrer" thread in
    > nz.general and previously) about checks on web access, does your ISP
    > keep a detailed log of your accesses?
    >
    > Paradise.net does and mine makes fascinating reading this morning. I
    > have unkown to myself been to google.com (216.239.53.89) a number of
    > times (which leads me to wonder exactly how much of the internet
    > Google runs - I think these were newsgroup accesses).
    >
    > I have also allegedly accessed:
    > tierra.net (209.240.133.249 whatever, wherever that is),
    > upatras.gr (150.140.191.102)
    > and Tridel Technologies in the Philippines (203.167.25.137).
    >
    > I disclaim all knowledge of these sites and whatever might be stored
    > at them. But they're on my record.
    >
    > Anyone else care to check?
    >
    > Steve B.

    Its more likely that those were ads on pages you visited, with google ads.

    Install adblock and have a look at all the URL elements that make up a
    typical commercial page.
    shannon, Feb 18, 2006
  4. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:00:33 +1300, Steve B wrote:

    > I disclaim all knowledge of these sites and whatever might be stored at
    > them. But they're on my record.

    Looks like Paradise is recording the real name of the hosting machine, and
    not the name of the hosted website.

    You should know that a website can be hosted anywhere in the world.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Steve B

    Enkidu Guest

    Steve B wrote:

    > Incidentally, speaking (under the "Don't let our Fuhrer" thread in
    > nz.general and previously) about checks on web access, does your ISP
    > keep a detailed log of your accesses?
    >
    > Paradise.net does and mine makes fascinating reading this morning. I
    > have unkown to myself been to google.com (216.239.53.89) a number of
    > times (which leads me to wonder exactly how much of the internet
    > Google runs - I think these were newsgroup accesses).
    >
    > I have also allegedly accessed:
    > tierra.net (209.240.133.249 whatever, wherever that is),
    > upatras.gr (150.140.191.102)
    > and Tridel Technologies in the Philippines (203.167.25.137).
    >
    > I disclaim all knowledge of these sites and whatever might be stored
    > at them. But they're on my record.

    Many popular sites use services to 'proxy' their pages. You might
    request a page from, say, Microsoft's site or CCN or IMDB and by DNS
    trickery you are directed to a reasonably local server. and your page is
    served from there, if it is on that server. As I recall Microsoft's
    stuff is in this part of the world supplied from Xtra. It means if you
    are lucky, you don't have to pull data from across the world.

    If it is not at your local server, it does a heuristic search and grabs
    it from the next nearest and so on. Mybe the Philippines.....

    As other have said, it may also be adds in pages for other sites.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 19, 2006
  6. Steve B

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve B <> wrote:

    >I disclaim all knowledge of these sites and whatever might be stored
    >at them. But they're on my record.
    >
    >Anyone else care to check?

    Sure. What's your Paradise userid and password so I can check?

    .... well, you did offer. <grin>

    Don Hills, Feb 19, 2006
  7. Steve B

    s.t.e.v.e. Guest

    Steve B wrote:

    > I have also allegedly accessed:
    > tierra.net (209.240.133.249 whatever, wherever that is),
    > upatras.gr (150.140.191.102)
    > and Tridel Technologies in the Philippines (203.167.25.137).
    >
    > I disclaim all knowledge of these sites and whatever might be stored
    > at them. But they're on my record.
    >
    > Anyone else care to check?
    >
    > Steve B.

    Probably some ad graphic jpeg/GIF loaded from a site you flicked past
    briefly.
    s.t.e.v.e., Feb 24, 2006