    President
    Association de généalogie des Familles Gauthier

    www.Association-Gauthier.org

    Jean-Pierre Gauthier, Jul 7, 2006

  2. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    dadiOH Guest

    Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:
    > As a webmaster for our group, I received lots of zillions of messages,
    > lots of files and many databases of which a good number are in the
    > 500kb-2meg range.
    >
    > I empty my recycle bin regularly and was wondering if that stuff is
    > COMPLETELY deleted from my computer or whether it was stored in the
    > dark recesses of my machine.

    No, it isn't removed from your computer. The only thing that happens when
    you delete a file is that the space used by it becomes available. What was
    *in* that space (the deleted file data) stays there until the space is
    needed and overwritten.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jul 7, 2006

  3. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-07, Jean-Pierre Gauthier <> wrote:
    > As a webmaster for our group, I received lots of zillions of messages,
    > lots of files and many databases of which a good number are in the
    > 500kb-2meg range.
    >
    > I empty my recycle bin regularly and was wondering if that stuff is
    > COMPLETELY deleted from my computer or whether it was stored in the
    > dark recesses of my machine.
    >
    > I imagine that given the huge capacity of today's computers, overload
    > should not be a problem, still the question begs answering. Over the
    > years, it all adds up..........?
    >
    > Thank you,

    Ah, one of the great existential questions of the digital age. Right up
    there with 'where exactly is my money?'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Thank you <dadiOH>!

    A concern was that the computer (or a part of it) would eventually
    become overloaded thus the potential for problems.

    BTW, it has happened that I regretted having deleted a file (no big
    problem as i have back-ups on CD or a correspondent would resend it)
    but I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve a file after the
    recycle bin has been empty (could come in handy).

    Thank you,

    Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Jean-Pierre Gauthier, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    dadiOH Guest

    Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:
    > Thank you <dadiOH>!
    >
    > A concern was that the computer (or a part of it) would eventually
    > become overloaded thus the potential for problems.
    >
    > BTW, it has happened that I regretted having deleted a file (no big
    > problem as i have back-ups on CD or a correspondent would resend it)
    > but I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve a file after the
    > recycle bin has been empty (could come in handy).

    Yes if it hasn't been overwritten. If it has, you may be able to recover
    portions...

    DriveRescue
    http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/amd/887/rescue/index.html

    GetDataBack
    http://www.runtime.org/

    Recover4All
    http://www.recover4all.com/

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jul 7, 2006
  6. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    geothermal Guest

    Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:

    > As a webmaster for our group, I received lots of zillions of messages,
    > lots of files and many databases of which a good number are in the
    > 500kb-2meg range.
    >
    > I empty my recycle bin regularly and was wondering if that stuff is
    > COMPLETELY deleted from my computer or whether it was stored in the
    > dark recesses of my machine.

    Hi,

    If you are using 10 gigs of a 200 gig hard drive, then there are
    programs and computer repair shops that might be able to undelete
    files of that size. But if you are using about 190 gigs of a 200 gig
    hard drive, then your stuff is being overwritten on a regular basis.

    Also if you use defrag on a monthly basis, then that might overwrite
    some oor part of the large files.

    Best make backup copies of most important stuff and forget the rest
    after it is deleted.

    geothermal

    --
    "They gave each other a smile with a future in it.
    - Ring Lardner

    geothermal, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Frosty Guest

    On or about 7 Jul 2006 08:14:37 -0700, an entity identified as
    "Jean-Pierre Gauthier" <> proudly
    proclaimed:

    >Thank you <dadiOH>!
    >
    >A concern was that the computer (or a part of it) would eventually
    >become overloaded thus the potential for problems.
    >
    >BTW, it has happened that I regretted having deleted a file (no big
    >problem as i have back-ups on CD or a correspondent would resend it)
    >but I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve a file after the
    >recycle bin has been empty (could come in handy).

    If I'm reading your questions correctly, this site has what you are
    looking for.

    http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcwipe.htm

    Frosty
    --
    "My my, look at the time! I've got to dress formy bridge club!"
    "Gee mom, isn't that bridge built yet?"

    Frosty, Jul 9, 2006