    Please could someone help?
    --
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=, Apr 21, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

    Lem Guest

    Peter F wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
    > difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network Adapter
    > that was bought with the linksys Router.
    >
    > The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another 2
    > machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully logging
    > onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
    > continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet
    > cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
    > giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give out
    > the gateway or DNS addresses.
    >
    > Please could someone help?
    > --
    > Peter

    As with virtually all messages generated by Windows, the message that "you are
    connected" may not mean what you think it means. IP addresses of the form
    169.254.x.x are known as APIPA addresses. When you tell WinXP to get its IP
    address from a DHCP server (the usual configuration for computers using a home
    router) but for whatever reason it can't do so (e.g., the DHCP server is
    unavailable or unreachable), WinXP automatically assigns an address to itself.
    See http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html Upon doing so, WinXP reports
    that it is "connected" -- only it's connected to itself, not to the access point
    that you think it's connected to.

    this sounds like you either have not properly configured the USB adapter or it
    is too far away (considering the particular construction of your building) to
    receive the transmission from the router.

    have you changed the SSID in the adapter from linksys to whatever you set in the
    router (and if you didn't change the router from the default, you should do so)?

    try disabling all encryption (on both router and adapter). Once you establish
    the link, you can re-enable encryption.

    if you can bring the upstairs computer down to the router, see if you can
    establish a connection when in close physical proximity.

    Lem, Apr 21, 2006

  3. Lem,

    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

    Your last suggestion i have tried but with exactly the same result, but with
    a much better connection 94%.

    I have changed the SSID to one that i have created but still get the
    problem. I am at odds as what to do and i am even contemplating taking it
    back to where i bought it and asking for a replacement.

    If you can suggest anything i will be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=, Apr 21, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

    Lem Guest

    Well, it could be a defective unit, but there are a few more things to try...

    Are you using WindowsXP to manage your wireless connection or are you using the
    Linksys utility? I'm assuming that you have a Linksys WUSB54G. Take a look at p. 16
    of the User Guide (if you don't have yours, see http://tinyurl.com/cse3t ). Based on
    how you phrased your initial question, I'm guessing that you're using the Linksys
    Wireless Network Monitor, so I'll base the following on that assumption.

    Click the "More Information" button, and you should get the Status screen. Your
    display should be almost identical to that shown on p. 18 of the manual, except for
    the entry next to "MAC" (that's an identifier unique to the particular piece of
    hardware you have) and perhaps the last 3 digits of the IP address (e.g., you might
    show 192.168.1.102). Also, the SSID should the new name you selected and configured
    in your router. If anything is different, post back with that information.

    Click the "back" button to return to the Link Information screen. Click the "Site
    Survey" tab. This screen tells you what wireless networks are within range of your
    USB adapter. On the left, you will see a list of available wireless networks. If
    there are no entries in this list, the USB adapter is out of range of your wireless
    router. At least one of the entries in the list should be the new SSID that you
    configured in your router. Click on it. The "site information" box should show the
    SSID and channel number, and should report "wireless mode" as "infrastructure" and
    "security" as "disabled". If you have other values, or if your router's SSID isn't in
    the list, post back with that info.

    Before clicking the "connect" button, click the "Profiles" tab. If you have a
    "Default" profile, what is shown for its SSID, and wireless mode, channel, security,
    and authentication settings? Do you have any other profiles?

    the "Connect" button. What happens?

    If you're using Windows to configure your wireless settings instead of the Linksys
    utility, the procedure is similar, but the screens are different. What you want to do
    is find the "View Wireless Networks" or "Choose a wireless network" screen. Then
    select the network with the SSID corresponding to your router and click Connect. Once
    you're able to connect, you can tell Windows that it's your preferred network and to
    connect to it automatically. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1102.mspx for pictures
    and details.

    Good luck.

    Lem, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Not to be discouraging, but I'm having a similar problem with a D-Link 624
    router and compaq laptop. When I have the router configured as an open AP
    with no encryption, the laptop connects just fine. As soon as I enable ether
    WEP or WPA, I can't get it to work. The router and laptop both say I'm
    authenticated on the Wi-Fi, the router DHCP display says it issued an IP to
    the appropriate MAC, but the laptop didn't get it. The connection mgr on the
    laptop times out and gets that 169... address. The funny thing, every once in
    a while it WILL connect and work. Oh, and a hard wire to the router works
    just fine.

    I've tried another Wi-Fi card, tried it at a friends house (same router,
    though), disabled everthing I can think of on the laptop. Reset and
    reconfigured the router several times.

    Next, I want to blow away the networking stack and start over. How would I
    do that?

    --
    John S.

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9jQnJvd24=?=, Apr 21, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi,
    Seeing signal in the Wireless configuration application, or reading
    somewhere in the system that you are connected, does not mean that you
    actually have a functional Wireless connection.
    If you can use the Internet with your Wireless Computer, the Wireless
    connection is OK. If you do not have an Internet connection available, a
    simple way to ascertain that you have a connection is to try to use the
    Internet Browser in a Wireless Client computer and find out if you can
    connect to the Router's (Access Point) Menus (see your hardware manual for
    the Router's IP Address, the login name and the password).
    If you cannot connect to the Router this might help.
    Once the Wireless is actually connected, you need to configure each computer
    Sharing settings. May be this can help http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 22, 2006
  7. "Peter F" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just installed a linksys Router/Gateway and i continue to get
    > difficulty with an upstairs connection from the USB Linksys Network
    > Adapter
    > that was bought with the linksys Router.
    >
    > The Router/Gateway is connected downstairs on the MAIN machine and another
    > 2
    > machines which have inbuilt wirless cards and these are successfully
    > logging
    > onto the internet. But the problem child is the USB Linksys adapter it
    > continues to report "you are connected to the access point, but the
    > Internet
    > cannot be found". Upon trouble shooting i have found that it seems to be
    > giving out a rouge IP address which begins with 169 and it does not give
    > out
    > the gateway or DNS addresses.
    >
    > Please could someone help?
    > --
    > Peter

    Manually set the IP address of the problem child to the range the modem
    uses, put the modem in at the gateway and provide either your ISP DNS
    numbers while setting the other numbers up on the problem child or if you
    are unsure what they are, then provide the modem's IP number in the primary
    DNS IP number field. The 169.*.*.* address is something that happens when it
    cant find an IP address, quite often.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Apr 22, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

    Eugene Guest

    Start from scratch.

    Turn off all encryption and try to connect.

    The 169.x.x.x address suggest that the USB device is not pulling a IP from
    the router.

    Take another laptop upstairs to the same location and scan for the router.
    If the 2nd computer/laptop can see the router and connect to the router-post
    results.

    -Eugene

    Eugene, May 9, 2006