Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pavel A., May 6, 2010.

  1. Pavel A.

    Paul Attryde Guest

    Pavel A. wrote:
    > Dear users of msnews.microsoft.com,
    >
    > There are rumors that Microsoft plans to shut down this nntp server.
    >
    > See this for example:
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.html
    >
    > Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the
    > web-based MSDN forums?.
    > To Google groups, maybe?

    Personally I signed up for an account at OSROnline. They
    have an NNTP version of their mailing lists at lists.osr.com

    hth somebody,
    Paul
    Paul Attryde, May 8, 2010

  2. Pavel A.

    Marianne Guest

    Hector Santos" <> wrote in message
    > John John - MVP wrote:
    >
    >> Hector Santos wrote:

    >>> As I stated in the beginning of your onslaught:
    >>>
    >>> A mesh is just a form of a star network.

    >> Sheesh, now you are trying to backpeddle! Read here:
    >> http://www.myreader.co.uk/msg/12534.aspx
    >>
    >> "Although the UK Network may once have been a star network, this is no
    >> longer the case. There are many news servers each of which has multiple
    >> connections to others forming a mesh-like network. There are no central
    >> sites in a position to control what comes in and out of the network as a
    >> whole."
    >>
    >> It's the same thing worldwide, trying to imply that the Usenet is a star
    >> network in an effort to bolster your claim that the MS servers are a
    >> mandatory and necessary "hub" in the distribution of the microsoft.*
    >> hierarchy is lame to say the least!
    >>
    >> I'm done with this thread, good bye!

    > You're right, you should because you twisted words to suit whatever
    > purpose you had here.
    >
    > To indicate that me referencing a picture of "three" nodes in a usenet
    > network is not representative of the "thousands" of nodes in the network
    > is ludicrous and a lame attempt of trolling for an nonsense argument.
    >
    > The above does not change the fact that a node relative to itself operates
    > like a star and as I stated in my last post, you have no control of what
    > your nodes and points off your server will do. In other words, you don't
    > need to go to a main hub to get your feeds.
    > That still doesn't eliminate the idea each node itself operates as a star.
    >
    > What? You think you can just post in UK node and it will magically appear
    > in some far distance USA node without some form of organized
    > uplink/downlink transport system? Are you broadcasting by posting the
    > article at different servers crossing your fingers that at least ONE will
    > make and the others will by rejected as DUPES?
    >
    > And again, unless you UNDERSTAND the intricacies of developing hosting
    > software especially for all hosting operationally needs when it comes to
    > distribution, then yes, you should say good bye and shut up.

    And you sell nntp software? For the sake of your customers I hope that your
    tech support knows more about newsgroups than you do because you don't know
    wtf you are talking about! Anyone reading this thread will see that you
    haven't got a clue and they will surely pass on your software offering!
    You've indentified yourself as working for a certain company any you have
    posted links to your company in this thread, by doing so you have attached
    your company to the discussion. After reading this thread and seeing how
    you completely misunderstand Usenet I can say without any hesitation that I
    would never purchase your software! Nice job you clueless moron!

    Marianne, May 9, 2010

  3. > Personally I signed up for an account at OSROnline. They
    > have an NNTP version of their mailing lists at lists.osr.com

    This is what I'm using for 8 years or so.

    --
    Maxim S. Shatskih
    Windows DDK MVP

    http://www.storagecraft.com
    Maxim S. Shatskih, May 9, 2010
  4. <joke>

    MS's announcement translated...

    > Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively

    closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in
    the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to
    worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.

    Beginning this summer, we are shutting down perfectly working
    standardized technology. This is to encourage the older more
    knowledgeable crowd using those technologies to move into the web forums
    where they may help users who are either to lazy or ignorant to install
    news readers. Plus, in an effort to control all the content and postings
    in our newsgroups we will create a proprietary interface that makes it
    hard to replicate the information on 3rd party servers.

    > Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort,

    consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors
    to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community
    environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers
    and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and
    off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by
    facilitating discussions in a clean space.

    We assigned some programmers to consolidate all of our venues, and
    create nntp/web forums bridging. Instead they wrote a new forum
    interface. Since we paid them all this money, we have to use this new
    technology or we won't look good to our bosses. To make it easier on us,
    and offload some of the pain to the community we will be disabling some
    of your connections and requiring you to go to some effort to setup some
    new accounts.

    </joke>
    Jeremy Linton, May 14, 2010