    Does anybody happen to know who is actually in charge of enforcing the new spam
    legislation?

    cheers, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 11, 2007

  2. Peter Huebner

    Keith Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >I keep getting spam, substantial spam of 300k or so, from some outfit of new
    >age-ey or spirtualist conmen calling themselves Art of Living. Since it
    >originates in NZ, I wouldn't mind having these guys bitch-slapped by [whoever].
    >
    >Does anybody happen to know who is actually in charge of enforcing the new spam
    >legislation?
    >
    >cheers, -P.

    Dept of Infernal Affairs
    http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Anti-Spam-Index?OpenDocument

    But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email
    Keith, Nov 11, 2007

  3. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Nov 12, 2007
  4. Peter Huebner

    canon paora Guest

    On Nov 12, 5:02 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Keith wrote:
    >
    > > Dept of Infernal Affairs
    > >http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Anti-Spam-Inde...

    > > But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email

    > Chances are they are selling salvation of your soul, sounds commercial
    > to me ;)

    ....sounds bullshit to me.
    canon paora, Nov 12, 2007
  5. Craig Whitmore, Nov 12, 2007
  6. Peter Huebner

    bok Guest

    Keith wrote:
    > Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >> I keep getting spam, substantial spam of 300k or so, from some outfit of new
    >> age-ey or spirtualist conmen calling themselves Art of Living. Since it
    >> originates in NZ, I wouldn't mind having these guys bitch-slapped by [whoever].
    >>
    >> Does anybody happen to know who is actually in charge of enforcing the new spam
    >> legislation?
    >>
    >> cheers, -P.
    >>

    > Dept of Infernal Affairs
    > http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Anti-Spam-Index?OpenDocument
    >
    > But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email

    As defined in the Unsolicited Messages Act 2007, if the email simply
    promotes a good or service it is classified as an commercial electronic
    message for purposes of interpretation of the ACT. Section 6 para (a)
    (i) (B) (for example) does not require the service is promoted for
    financial gain:

    Relevant excerpt:

    "6 Meaning of commercial electronic message
    For the purposes of this Act, commercial electronic message—
    (a)means an electronic message that—
    (i)markets or promotes—
    (A)goods; or
    (B)services; or
    (C)land; or
    (D)an interest in land; or
    (E)a business or investment opportunity; or
    (ii)assists or enables a person to obtain dishonestly a financial
    advantage or gain from another person; or
    (iii)provides a link, or directs a recipient, to a message that does 1
    or more of the things listed in subparagraphs (i) and (ii);:

    Reference:
    htttp://www.legislation.govt.nz/browse_vw.asp?content-set=pal_statutes
    bok, Nov 12, 2007
  7. Peter Huebner

    Keith Guest

    Keith, Nov 13, 2007
  8. Peter Huebner

    Keith Guest

    In article <fh94eg$kl1$>,
    says...
    > Keith wrote:
    > >
    > > But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email
    > >

    > As defined in the Unsolicited Messages Act 2007, if the email simply
    > promotes a good or service it is classified as an commercial electronic
    > message for purposes of interpretation of the ACT. Section 6 para (a)
    > (i) (B) (for example) does not require the service is promoted for
    > financial gain:

    But would something pushing a religous agenda (or political for that
    matter) be providing a service? Not to my mind.

    Unless you mean service to mean sat down in a pew in front of the
    minister. :)
    Keith, Nov 13, 2007
  9. Peter Huebner

    bok Guest

    Keith wrote:
    > In article <fh94eg$kl1$>,
    > says...
    >> Keith wrote:
    >>> But is the crowd *selling* anything? because the Act prohibits unsolicited *commercail* email
    >>>

    >> As defined in the Unsolicited Messages Act 2007, if the email simply
    >> promotes a good or service it is classified as an commercial electronic
    >> message for purposes of interpretation of the ACT. Section 6 para (a)
    >> (i) (B) (for example) does not require the service is promoted for
    >> financial gain:

    > But would something pushing a religous agenda (or political for that
    > matter) be providing a service? Not to my mind.

    The O/P referred to "spirtualist conmen calling themselves Art of Living"

    He probably means this lot: http://artofliving.org.nz/

    If not they'll do as an example.

    From their web site:

    "In New Zealand, the Art of Living Foundation runs practical courses for
    individuals on stress management, personal development and Vedic
    practices that help you apply ancient wisdom to modern life. We provide
    courses for inmates and staff in prisons and community and support
    groups to eliminate the negative aspects of trauma and stress and to
    return a sense of meaning and belonging to people's lives. We also offer
    service projects around the country."

    Wouldn't you consider the above to be promoting a range of services? I
    would.
    bok, Nov 14, 2007