    but I didn't?

    hmmmmm?

    Phil.
    Phil B, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Phil B wrote:

    > if I send an e-mail to an address that doesn't exist where do they go?

    To me, Phil. And, frankly, I'm getting tired of them.

    --
    Blinky T. "except the ones to your girlfriend" Shark
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Phil B

    Richard Guest

    From: "Phil B" <-ME.freeserve.co.uk>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: where do they go?

    Looks like it worked to me.
    Some servers are set up to automatically trash undeliverable mail.
    As long as the group exists on your server, the post will get sent
    regardless of what the mail addy is.
    That addy is there only for references anyway so theoretically, it can be
    anything.

    1234567890@127.000 would work.
    wonder how much spam that one will get now eh?
    Richard, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Phil B

    Sultan Guest

    Phil B wrote in news:buqrge$r3c$:

    > if I send an e-mail to an address that doesn't exist where do they go?
    >
    > I know that the server should send me a reply saying it can't find the
    > address, but if it doesn't.........then.........where?
    >
    > the reason I ask is that I did a little test to see if I could
    > 1- post to a news group with a test post , having the "REMOVE ME" in

    the
    > e-mail post address
    > 2- reply to that e-mail........(even tho it is me) and I know it

    doesn't
    > exist!
    > and expect to get a reply from the server saying that the email doesn't
    > exist.
    >
    > but I didn't?
    >

    > hmmmmm?
    >
    > Phil.

    Your really bored aren't you Phil?
    Seriously not all mail systems respond with an invalid address reply- its
    a waste of their time. Heck, a recent experiment by Fred Langa (of Langa
    List fame) came to the conclussion that 40% of all e-mails sent never
    reach their destination and that was to valid e-mail addresses.
    Find a new hobby like trying to figure out how the kleenex always pops up
    after you pull one out.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Phil B

    docmill Guest

    Sultan <> wrote in

    > Phil B wrote in news:buqrge$r3c$:
    >
    >> if I send an e-mail to an address that doesn't exist where do they
    >> go?
    >>
    >> I know that the server should send me a reply saying it can't find
    >> the address, but if it doesn't.........then.........where?
    >>
    >> the reason I ask is that I did a little test to see if I could
    >> 1- post to a news group with a test post , having the "REMOVE ME" in

    > the
    >> e-mail post address
    >> 2- reply to that e-mail........(even tho it is me) and I know it

    > doesn't
    >> exist!
    >> and expect to get a reply from the server saying that the email
    >> doesn't exist.
    >>
    >> but I didn't?
    >>

    >> hmmmmm?
    >>
    >> Phil.
    >>

    > Your really bored aren't you Phil?
    > Seriously not all mail systems respond with an invalid address reply-
    > its a waste of their time. Heck, a recent experiment by Fred Langa
    > (of Langa List fame) came to the conclussion that 40% of all e-mails
    > sent never reach their destination and that was to valid e-mail
    > addresses. Find a new hobby like trying to figure out how the kleenex
    > always pops up after you pull one out.
    >
    > Sultan

    So the Tidy Bowl Man did get a new job.

    --