    online? etc

    thanks in advance

    Rictor

    Rictor, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Rictor

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Rictor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    > on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    > wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    > online? etc

    Ebay is pretty good now. Most new releases can be had for about $13-$14
    shipped after two weeks.

    Goldfinger, Sep 22, 2003

  3. I've bought a bunch from Columbia House. You watch their
    ad circulars for the best deal. eBay too is a good spot. Also,
    I check the Sunday papers for what Target, Walmart, Best Buy
    and Circuit City are offering. 'Course, Sam's Club and Costco
    are also good bets. I've got about 160+ and have probably
    paid no more than $14 or $15 for the bulk of them.

    Don't be in a big hurry to build the library....

    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Sep 22, 2003
  4. Rictor

    Tom Meyer Guest

    "Rictor" <> wrote in message
    > I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    > on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    > wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    > online? etc

    I use Columbia house, signing up with the best deal, buy my DVDs, cancel,
    and repeat, and get a lot of DVDs that way for under $10 each on average
    when all is said and done. Here's a link with lots of info on that:
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=f699c7bae489533d0a50d7cf9cb3bc
    c0&threadid=107726

    For the DVDs CH doesn't have, I look on www.half.com,
    www.deepdiscountdvd.com, www.dvdpricesearch.com, and www.ebay.com, and get
    the lowest price.

    Tom

    Tom Meyer, Sep 22, 2003
  5. Rictor

    TSKO Guest

    Target believe it or not is a good place to get them (many a times beat out
    Best Buy in price)

    half.com is great...if there is something u missed the wk it came out (when
    the price is still low)..u can usually go to half.com and get it for the
    sale price...if not lower at times...

    ...course the ole Best Buy is still great...(as is bestbuy.com ---free
    shipping on everything)

    TSKO, Sep 22, 2003
  6. Rictor <> wrote in news:48iumvckh7vpf1p5t9qprrhs0c302svppd@
    4ax.com:

    > I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    > on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    > wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    > online? etc

    I'm glad you said "a ton of movies". If you plan on getting many at one
    time, try www.deepdiscountdvd.com. You won't get your movies in a hurry,
    but the prices are great. For slightly faster shopping, Amazon can provide
    great service and will cut shipping on larger orders.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 22, 2003
  7. >Rictor <> wrote:

    >I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    >on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    >wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    >online? etc

    Columbia House here. Tom has provided you with a link to dvdtalk.com,
    which has codes for the various membership offers and a FAQ that
    should be read by anyone contemplating a membership. Or two.

    Maureen Goldman, Sep 22, 2003
  8. Rictor

    TCS Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:14:59 -0700, Maureen Goldman <> wrote:
    >>Rictor <> wrote:

    >>I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    >>on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    >>wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    >>online? etc

    > Columbia House here. Tom has provided you with a link to dvdtalk.com,
    > which has codes for the various membership offers and a FAQ that
    > should be read by anyone contemplating a membership. Or two.

    Trick for the likes of columbia house: don't send the postcards to
    prevent the unwanted DVDs from being mailed. Just put "return to sender"
    on each and every one. After about a year of this, columbia house will
    want to cancel the contract and you won't have to buy any more at
    their "regular" (read: double retail) prices.

    TCS, Sep 22, 2003
  9. Rictor

    Lookingglass Guest

    Online I always buy from FACETS (www.Facets.org)... I have never had a
    problem with them... they are prompt in sending out the order if they have
    the item, or they will B/O and send it later... I usually get from Facets
    what I can't at a store.... otherwise I pick up my DVDs if they are in a
    store.

    --
    PEACE...Dave www.Shemakhan.com

    Remember... You are unique...! Just like everyone else.

    Lookingglass, Sep 22, 2003
  10. Rictor wrote:

    > I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    > on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    > wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    > online? etc
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Rictor

    www.dvdpricesearch.com

    You'll never go back to retail (except for loss-leader specials)

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 23, 2003
  11. Rictor

    Mark B. Guest

    "Rictor" <> wrote in message
    > I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    > on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    > wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    > online? etc
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Rictor

    I only did the intro deal with Columbia Houe; their regular prices -
    especially with shipping - are too high. For new releases, brick & mortar
    retail stores usually have the best deals the first week of the release.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 23, 2003
  12. Rictor

    d a v e Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    > Online I always buy from FACETS (www.Facets.org)... I have never had a
    > problem with them... they are prompt in sending out the order if they have
    > the item, or they will B/O and send it later... I usually get from Facets
    > what I can't at a store.... otherwise I pick up my DVDs if they are in a
    > store.
    >
    > --

    i just checked out that website. i'm amazed they sell any dvd's at all at
    those prices.
    doing a quick search of 4 or 5 titles did not return one dvd under $20.00.

    if your used to paying those prices, i'd definitely start looking at other
    websites.

    d a v e, Sep 23, 2003
  13. "Rictor" <> wrote in message
    > I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    > on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    > wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    > online? etc
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Rictor

    http://www.dvdempire.com/

    The best friggin mail order company I have ever dealt with. PERIOD!!!!!

    news.bellatlantic.net, Sep 23, 2003
  14. I buy mine 'used' from Amazon, under the 'used' category. Many times they show up brand new. Never had a
    problem yet and save lots of $.

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 04:43:56 GMT, "news.bellatlantic.net" <> wrote:

    >"Rictor" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    >> on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    >> wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    >> online? etc
    >>
    >> thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Rictor

    >http://www.dvdempire.com/
    >
    >The best friggin mail order company I have ever dealt with. PERIOD!!!!!

    Doc Speedbyrd

    Doc Speedbyrd, Sep 23, 2003
  15. Rictor

    luminos Guest

    This is not a good solution unless you buy only one at a time. You have to
    pay shipping on each one, since it is rare a 'used' vendor has multiple
    titles you want.

    luminos, Sep 23, 2003
  16. >"Mark B." <> wrote:
    >I only did the intro deal with Columbia Houe; their regular prices -
    >especially with shipping - are too high.

    With Columbia House you have to play the averages. Get expensive
    titles as the introductory freebies, buy the cheapest you can in order
    to fulfill your membership agreement, then stop the membership. Mine
    have been averaging CAD$12-ish each for eight titles (five free, one
    at CAD $20, then two full price) .
    ..

    Maureen Goldman, Sep 23, 2003
  17. On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:52:47 -0700, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >This is not a good solution unless you buy only one at a time. You have to
    >pay shipping on each one, since it is rare a 'used' vendor has multiple
    >titles you want.
    >

    >> I buy mine 'used' from Amazon, under the 'used' category. Many times they

    >show up brand new. Never had a
    >> problem yet and save lots of $.

    That is true, but some of them are so cheap that even with shipping, I save a lot.

    Doc Speedbyrd

    Doc Speedbyrd, Sep 23, 2003
  18. Rictor

    Rictor Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:26:06 GMT, "Adrian S. Kuiper"
    <> wrote:

    Thanks for all the input and links they have helped alot--especially
    the colombia house thing--again thanks!!

    Rictor

    Rictor, Sep 24, 2003
  19. DVD empire ships a lot of there DVD's free. Check em out.

    news.bellatlantic.net, Sep 24, 2003
  20. Rictor

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    news.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > DVD empire ships a lot of there DVD's free. Check em out.
    >

    > "Rictor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm just starting my collection and there are a ton of movies I want
    >>on DVD. I have bought most of them from the local bestbuy but I was
    >>wondering if people here know of a good place. Colombia house?
    >>online? etc
    >>
    >>thanks in advance
    >>
    >>Rictor

    this is a little late for this thread but basically, I second the
    columbia house recommendations, particularly for people starting a
    collection. Second, I recommend Blockbuster and Hollywood for buying
    used DVD's. Both of them have periodic sales where you can get disks
    for under 10 dollars, and at least here, they will guarantee them, in
    that you can take them home and play them and replace them if they're
    defective. Third is www.northamericandvd.com. It's a canadian company
    and has super prices on box sets (x-files seasons 83 for example).
    Shipping is expensive but if you buy 10 items and ask them to hold all
    for one shipment, the shipping is free. Finally, for major titles, best
    buy, circuit city, walmart, etc are good for first week. And the major
    brick and mortar stores typically have specials each week, for example
    last week best buy had 15 or 20 disks available at 2 for 15 dollars.
    Walmart has a bin of 5.88 disks, most of which are crap, but there are
    lots of "hidden gems" or guilty pleasures or ...

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Sep 24, 2003