    "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
    else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
    "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

    Bosco, Apr 1, 2007

  2. Bosco

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Bosco" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
    > "C:
    > \Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
    > file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
    > \WINDOWS\system32.
    >
    > I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
    > Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.
    >
    > Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
    > "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
    > else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
    > "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

    Why not just download and reinstall Windows Defender?

    WhzzKdd, Apr 1, 2007

  3. Bosco

    Bosco Guest

    On Apr 1, 11:05 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "Bosco" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...> After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
    > > "C:
    > > \Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
    > > file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
    > > \WINDOWS\system32.

    > > I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
    > > Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.

    > > Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
    > > "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
    > > else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
    > > "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

    > Why not just download and reinstall Windows Defender?

    Thanks. I did think of that but I wanted it to be my last option in
    that I wanted to learn something more about the rhyme and reason as to
    where dll files are distributed.

    Bosco, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Bosco

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Bosco"
    <> wrote:

    > Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
    > "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
    > else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
    > "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

    The simplest fix is to copy the DLL into the same directory where the
    EXE for your app lives.

    Microsoft has invented a new version of "DLL Hell" with their
    "Side-by-Side" scheme which supposedly allows multiple versions of the
    same DLL to co-exist on a system. Unfortunately, this scheme include
    policy and manfest files which now reside in \Windows\WinSxS. In this
    scheme, MSVCR80.DLL now lives in a directory with a name like

    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Apr 1, 2007
  5. Bosco

    Guest

    "Bosco" <> wrote:

    >After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
    >"C:
    >\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
    >file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
    >\WINDOWS\system32.
    >
    >I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
    >Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.
    >
    >Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
    >"msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
    >else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
    >"msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

    Besides copying the DLL, it most likely needs to be registered as
    well.

    Start | Run <type in>
    regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32/msvcr80.dll
    <enter>
    http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108199

    --
    The Pirate Bay finds a home!
    http://thepiratebay.org/blog/61

    , Apr 1, 2007
  6. Bosco

    Bullseye Guest

    On 1 Apr 2007 08:12:15 -0700, Bosco wrote:

    > After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
    > "C:
    > \Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
    > file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
    > \WINDOWS\system32.
    >
    > I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
    > Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.
    >
    > Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
    > "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
    > else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
    > "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

    Apparently the file isn't missing, but this is a glitch in the Norton
    utility - another reason never to use Norton or McAfee.

    From Techrepublic site: "MSVCR80.dll - This is a known problem with Norton
    WinDoc and you can just ignore those errors. . . Norton's System works
    finding missing files isn't all that uncommon and quite often mean nothing
    particularly if the applications are working.

    If you have downloaded the .Net Framework 2 that could be part of the
    reason as most times it doesn't install properly on XP so there will be
    some missing files there but as the .Net Framework 1 is running there is no
    problem. As for the Quicken if the application is still running there is a
    error in the Registry pointing to a .DLL that isn't required by this
    program and Norton's Win Doctor is unable to fix this as there is nothing
    to link the Registry Entry to so provided that it's working I wouldn't
    worry about it.

    However if the Quicken Program is not working you'll need to reinstall it.
    You can also expect to see Missing Files with Norton's and XP when you
    install IE7 it's just the way that the system works."

    Also from the site:

    "Norton Fix: mfc80.dll, msvcp80.dll, and msvcr80.dll
    Here is the fix ... this eliminates the unhappy Norton WinDoctor!

    Copy/paste each of these three files -- msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll,
    msvcr80.dll -- located in to the folder
    c:\windows\WinnSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT -- into c:\windows\system.

    Also Copy/paste file -- mfc80.dll -- located in to the folder
    c:\windows\WinnSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC -- into c:\windows\system.

    This should solve your Norton problem."

    Bullseye, Apr 1, 2007