    https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=958

    only to be told by the extension updater that it is incompatible with
    version 1.5.

    default, Dec 4, 2005

  2. default

    default Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:06:43 -0500, default < > wrote:

    >Seems to be Catch 22 here.
    >
    >I want some of the extensions that have died with the FF update to
    >version 1.5. To that end I try to install nightly tester tools
    >version 0.7.9.7 from
    >https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=958
    >
    >only to be told by the extension updater that it is incompatible with
    >version 1.5.

    "install.rdf" for the nightly build extension seems to suggest it
    ought to work from versions 1.0 to 1.6.

    <!-- Firefox version -->
    <em:targetApplication>
    <Description>
    <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
    <em:minVersion>1.0</em:minVersion>
    <em:maxVersion>1.6a1</em:maxVersion>
    </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

    Is there a way to force it to install?

    default, Dec 4, 2005

  3. default wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:06:43 -0500, default < > wrote:
    >

    >>Seems to be Catch 22 here.
    >>
    >>I want some of the extensions that have died with the FF update to
    >>version 1.5. To that end I try to install nightly tester tools
    >>version 0.7.9.7 from
    >>https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=958
    >>
    >>only to be told by the extension updater that it is incompatible with
    >>version 1.5.

    > "install.rdf" for the nightly build extension seems to suggest it
    > ought to work from versions 1.0 to 1.6.
    >
    > <!-- Firefox version -->
    > <em:targetApplication>
    > <Description>
    > <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
    > <em:minVersion>1.0</em:minVersion>
    > <em:maxVersion>1.6a1</em:maxVersion>
    > </Description>
    > </em:targetApplication>
    >
    > Is there a way to force it to install?

    Current version is 0.7.9.10. Get it from the author's home page:

    http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 4, 2005
  4. default

    default Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:55:20 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >Current version is 0.7.9.10. Get it from the author's home page:
    >
    >http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
    >
    >Lee

    Tried that. Author's website isn't installing when clicked on (java
    script enabled), so I tried save-as and downloaded it.

    From there, with the browser closed, I move the file from the download
    folder to the Mozilla FF icon and after a series of hourglasses the
    browser comes up and the extension menu displays.

    I now get a different error message.

    "Firefox could not install the file at (download folder and file name)
    because : Unexpected installation error Review the JavaScript Console
    log for more details.

    OK"

    Last message in the JS console is

    ExtensionManager:_finishOperations - failure, catching exception -
    lineno: 3391 - file:
    file:///C:/PROGRAM%20FILES/MOZILLA%20FIREFOX/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    - TypeError: installLocation has no properties

    That's a little out of my league . . .

    Any ideas where to go what to do from here?

    OK going to the Program Files/Mozilla etc.
    nsExtensionManager.js

    I take the js and put it in a word processor and tell it to count the
    lines and line number 3391 says:

    var versionChecker = getVersionChecker();

    That's assuming they mean to count empty lines - what I did with the
    word processor.

    Looks like it is looking for some sort of number after
    "getVersionChecker();" ????

    Error message 3 in JS console
    _finalizeUninstall: failed to remove directory for item:
    {DD99D76F-5129-4fd3-A2DC-AB41D6FBCF98} at Install Location:
    app-profile, rolling back uninstall

    Error message 2 in JS console
    safeInstallOperation: failed to clean up item location after its
    contents were properly backed up. Failed to clean up:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.rpp\extensions\{DD99D76F-5129-4fd3-A2DC-AB41D6FBCF98}
    .... rolling back file moves and aborting installation.

    Error message 1 in JS console
    Item Uninstalled via file removal from:
    rel%{DD99D76F-5129-4fd3-A2DC-AB41D6FBCF98} Item ID:
    {DD99D76F-5129-4fd3-A2DC-AB41D6FBCF98} Location Key: app-profile,
    uninstalling item.

    default, Dec 5, 2005
  5. default wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:55:20 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Current version is 0.7.9.10. Get it from the author's home page:
    >>
    >> http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Tried that. Author's website isn't installing when clicked on (java
    > script enabled), so I tried save-as and downloaded it.
    >
    > From there, with the browser closed, I move the file from the download
    > folder to the Mozilla FF icon and after a series of hourglasses the
    > browser comes up and the extension menu displays.
    >
    > I now get a different error message.
    >
    > "Firefox could not install the file at (download folder and file name)
    > because : Unexpected installation error Review the JavaScript Console
    > log for more details.
    >
    > OK"
    >
    > Last message in the JS console is
    >
    > ExtensionManager:_finishOperations - failure, catching exception -
    > lineno: 3391 - file:
    > file:///C:/PROGRAM%20FILES/MOZILLA%20FIREFOX/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    > - TypeError: installLocation has no properties
    >
    > That's a little out of my league . . .
    >
    > Any ideas where to go what to do from here?
    >
    > OK going to the Program Files/Mozilla etc.
    > nsExtensionManager.js
    >
    > I take the js and put it in a word processor and tell it to count the
    > lines and line number 3391 says:
    >
    > var versionChecker = getVersionChecker();
    >
    > That's assuming they mean to count empty lines - what I did with the
    > word processor.
    >
    > Looks like it is looking for some sort of number after
    > "getVersionChecker();" ????
    >
    > Error message 3 in JS console
    > _finalizeUninstall: failed to remove directory for item:
    > {DD99D76F-5129-4fd3-A2DC-AB41D6FBCF98} at Install Location:
    > app-profile, rolling back uninstall
    >
    > Error message 2 in JS console
    > safeInstallOperation: failed to clean up item location after its
    > contents were properly backed up. Failed to clean up:
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.rpp\extensions\{DD99D76F-5129-4fd3-A2DC-AB41D6FBCF98}
    > ... rolling back file moves and aborting installation.
    >
    > Error message 1 in JS console
    > Item Uninstalled via file removal from:
    > rel%{DD99D76F-5129-4fd3-A2DC-AB41D6FBCF98} Item ID:
    > {DD99D76F-5129-4fd3-A2DC-AB41D6FBCF98} Location Key: app-profile,
    > uninstalling item.

    I don't know what to say. I just installed it on my Mac copy. I did
    have to download it, and use File>>Open File to install it, but it
    worked fine, and is behaving correctly.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 5, 2005
  6. default

    default Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:47:28 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >I don't know what to say. I just installed it on my Mac copy. I did
    >have to download it, and use File>>Open File to install it, but it
    >worked fine, and is behaving correctly.
    >
    >Lee

    Would you check out your nsExtensionManager.js

    file:///C:/PROGRAM%20FILES/MOZILLA%20FIREFOX/components/nsExtensionManager.js

    tell me the exact file size? That may give a hint as to whether it
    is corrupted. Assuming that is the same on a Mac . . . should be.

    default, Dec 5, 2005
  7. default wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:47:28 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know what to say. I just installed it on my Mac copy. I did
    >> have to download it, and use File>>Open File to install it, but it
    >> worked fine, and is behaving correctly.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Would you check out your nsExtensionManager.js
    >
    > file:///C:/PROGRAM%20FILES/MOZILLA%20FIREFOX/components/nsExtensionManager.js
    >
    > tell me the exact file size? That may give a hint as to whether it
    > is corrupted. Assuming that is the same on a Mac . . . should be.

    273 KB

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 5, 2005
  8. default

    default Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 02:38:56 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >273 KB
    >
    >Lee

    I have

    Size: 273 KB (280,039 Bytes)

    Size on disk: 288 KB (294,912 Bytes)

    Created: Wednesday, November 30, 2005, 10:22:04 AM

    Modified: Wednesday, November 30, 2005, 10:22:06 AM

    does that jive with yours?

    PS thanks for taking the time

    bob

    default, Dec 5, 2005
  9. default wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 02:38:56 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> 273 KB
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I have
    >
    > Size: 273 KB (280,039 Bytes)
    >
    > Size on disk: 288 KB (294,912 Bytes)
    >
    > Created: Wednesday, November 30, 2005, 10:22:04 AM
    >
    > Modified: Wednesday, November 30, 2005, 10:22:06 AM
    >
    > does that jive with yours?
    >
    > PS thanks for taking the time
    >
    > bob

    Switched to XP

    Size, 273 KB, 280,038 bytes,

    On Disk, 276 KB, 282,624 bytes

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 5, 2005
  10. default

    default Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 03:31:10 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >Size, 273 KB, 280,038 bytes,
    >
    >On Disk, 276 KB, 282,624 bytes
    >
    >Lee

    Thanks. I'm packing it in for tonight. I think I'll try a reload of
    1.5 tomorrow. It appears to me that there is a missing variable and
    many/most of them are two characters. But I'm no programmer.

    default, Dec 5, 2005