    Julian Visch Guest

    Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    Julian Visch, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Julian Visch

    Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:46:00 +1200, Julian Visch <> wrote:

    >Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    >button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    Roller Mice are not High Quality at all, Full Stop..

    , Jul 24, 2006

  3. On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:14:37 +1200, <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:46:00 +1200, Julian Visch <> wrote:
    >
    >>Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    >>button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    > Roller Mice are not High Quality at all, Full Stop..

    Spoken by a true weasel - who knows whereof he speaks.
    BWAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahahaha!

    --
    Die dulci fruere,
    Nicolaas.

    .... The severity of an itch is inversely proportional to one's ability to
    reach it.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 25, 2006
  4. Julian Visch

    SchoolTech Guest

    Julian Visch wrote:
    > Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    > button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    would be better than optical.

    SchoolTech, Jul 28, 2006
  5. Julian Visch

    Jo Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > Julian Visch wrote:
    >> Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    >> button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    > Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    > would be better than optical.

    Only problem I get is when the rats in the cage next to my desk moult,
    optical mouse gets full of shedding rat fur. Unfortunately as punny and as
    funny as it seems, rat hair and mice dont mix.

    Jo, Jul 28, 2006
  6. Julian Visch

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-28, SchoolTech <> wrote:

    > Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    > would be better than optical.

    transparent glass tabletop ?

    logitec (i think) did did one with wheels instead of a ball too.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 28, 2006
  7. Julian Visch

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:09:27 +1200, in message <44c955b6$>,
    SchoolTech wrote:

    > Julian Visch wrote:
    > > Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    > > button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    > Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    > would be better than optical.

    If the desk I am working at has an optical mouse, often as not
    the mouse pointer will intermittently jump to one corner of
    the screen.

    I can cure the problem by unplugging the optical mouse
    and plugging in my own roller mouse.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.

    Ralph Fox, Jul 28, 2006
  8. Julian Visch

    Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:56:47 -0000, jasen <> wrote:

    >On 2006-07-28, SchoolTech <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    >> would be better than optical.

    >transparent glass tabletop ?

    Yes the Logitech ones work on Glass.

    >logitec (i think) did did one with wheels instead of a ball too.
    >
    >Bye.
    > Jasen

    , Jul 28, 2006
  9. Julian Visch

    Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:52:21 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:09:27 +1200, in message <44c955b6$>,
    >SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> Julian Visch wrote:
    >> > Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    >> > button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    >> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    >> would be better than optical.

    >If the desk I am working at has an optical mouse, often as not
    >the mouse pointer will intermittently jump to one corner of
    >the screen.

    Yes but what crap brand is it...?

    >I can cure the problem by unplugging the optical mouse
    >and plugging in my own roller mouse.

    , Jul 28, 2006
  10. Julian Visch

    Julian Visch Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:

    > Julian Visch wrote:
    >> Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    >> button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    > Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    > would be better than optical.

    They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality roller,
    I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

    Julian Visch, Jul 28, 2006
  11. Julian Visch

    Julian Visch Guest

    wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:52:21 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:09:27 +1200, in message <44c955b6$>,
    >>SchoolTech wrote:

    >>> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    >>> would be better than optical.

    >>If the desk I am working at has an optical mouse, often as not
    >>the mouse pointer will intermittently jump to one corner of
    >>the screen.

    > Yes but what crap brand is it...?

    I am willing to try optical as I was already using them 15 years ago, but
    where can you get high quality optical None of the computer stores in
    Wellington seem to stock them. In fact from memory my old optical worked
    better than any of this "modern" junk, sadly not compatible with modern
    hardware.

    Julian Visch, Jul 28, 2006
  12. Julian Visch

    Jo Guest

    "Julian Visch" <> wrote in message
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> Julian Visch wrote:
    >>> Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    >>> button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    >> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    >> would be better than optical.

    > They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality roller,
    > I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

    Dont know where you come from but I tried 3 different ones this morning
    trying to emulate the same fault.

    Logitech Wireless optical - very heavy, responsive and a good fit in the
    hand - does not work on glass, will work on a duvet cover though.

    Dell usb optical no resetting, smooth, does not scratch french polished desk
    its used on, well balanced. Smooth.

    Generic usb optical - same as above.

    I have never yet found one that works on glass, but a magazine fixes that.

    Jo, Jul 28, 2006
  13. In article <>, says...

    > They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality roller,
    > I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

    Sluggish? No, I wouldn't say that -- I have used a Logitech cordless optical
    mouse for years now, and my primary use for it is intense gaming. (Ok, so I
    don't do FPS). It's very responsive and accurate. I use it on a conventional
    mouse mat - but that mat is for the benefit of my palm. Then again, the mouse
    doesn't work as well on the oiled rimu surface of my desk, but it likes the
    varnished taraire next to it. Works fine on the dustcloth, or a piece of paper.

    Only complaint is, it goes through NiMH batteries like nobody's business.
    Likely my NiMHes are getting old. I have a charger in my desk, and 3 sets, so
    it's no big issue. There is a new Logitech optical cordless mouse out that has
    Lithium batteries and comes with a (usb?) charging station.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 28, 2006
  14. Julian Visch

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>, "Jo" <> wrote:

    >I have never yet found one that works on glass, but a magazine fixes that.

    I use a trackball for my main machine, but for the others I use ordinary
    mice. I've tried many mouse mats over the years, the 3M ones are the best
    but expensive. A cheap alternative is an unvarnished cork floor tile. Buy a
    pack at the hardware store, cut to fit on the desk if required. All kinds of
    mice - plastic ball, metal ball, optical - work well on it. It also provides
    a convenient coaster for your drink cup. And when it gets dirty, you throw
    it away (it's biodegradeable) and get another one out of the pack.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Jul 29, 2006
  15. Julian Visch

    Julian Visch Guest

    Jo wrote:

    > "Julian Visch" <> wrote in message
    >> SchoolTech wrote:

    >>> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    >>> would be better than optical.

    >> They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality
    >> roller, I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

    > Dont know where you come from but I tried 3 different ones this morning
    > trying to emulate the same fault.
    >
    > Logitech Wireless optical - very heavy, responsive and a good fit in the
    > hand - does not work on glass, will work on a duvet cover though.
    >
    > Dell usb optical no resetting, smooth, does not scratch french polished
    > desk its used on, well balanced. Smooth.
    >
    > Generic usb optical - same as above.

    Try this test, unplug from computer, now move mouse with just 2 fingers, a
    good mouse should move effortlessly.

    Julian Visch, Jul 29, 2006
  16. Julian Visch

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:31:54 +1200, in message <>,
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:52:21 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > >If the desk I am working at has an optical mouse, often as not
    > >the mouse pointer will intermittently jump to one corner of
    > >the screen.

    > Yes but what crap brand is it...?

    Same brand as the roller mouse that works flawlessly.

    Ralph Fox, Jul 29, 2006
  17. Julian Visch

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-28, Julian Visch <> wrote:
    > I am willing to try optical as I was already using them 15 years ago, but
    > where can you get high quality optical None of the computer stores in
    > Wellington seem to stock them. In fact from memory my old optical worked
    > better than any of this "modern" junk, sadly not compatible with modern
    > hardware.

    I bet linux has a driver for it... it's got one for sun4 keyboards and
    they're about as old .... say, you mouse isn't one that needs a red/blue
    grid is it? I was using one of them in 91.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 29, 2006
  18. Julian Visch

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-28, Julian Visch <> wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> Julian Visch wrote:
    >>> Preferably 3 button, I can only find the latest microsoft craze, e.g. 2
    >>> button with scroll optical which I don't want.

    >> Nothing wrong with optical, I can't see any situation where a ballmouse
    >> would be better than optical.

    > They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality roller,
    > I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

    What does "sluggish" mean I can't detect anything like that here...
    if it's not something that can be solved by adding a little teflon to the
    underside of the mouse it sounds like a software problem.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 29, 2006
  19. On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:26:26 +1200, Julian Visch wrote:

    > Jo wrote:
    >

    >> "Julian Visch" <> wrote in message

    >>> They are too sluggish, i.e. don't move as freely as a high quality
    >>> roller, I have tried all optical I can find and they are frankly sluggish

    >> Dont know where you come from but I tried 3 different ones this morning
    >> trying to emulate the same fault.
    >>
    >> Logitech Wireless optical - very heavy, responsive and a good fit in the
    >> hand - does not work on glass, will work on a duvet cover though.
    >>
    >> Dell usb optical no resetting, smooth, does not scratch french polished
    >> desk its used on, well balanced. Smooth.
    >>
    >> Generic usb optical - same as above.

    > Try this test, unplug from computer, now move mouse with just 2 fingers, a
    > good mouse should move effortlessly.

    Just tried that with a wireless Optical Microsoft mouse and no problems at
    all.... have you tried changing the mouse settings........?

    wogers nemesis, Jul 29, 2006
  20. Julian Visch

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-29, Julian Visch <> wrote:

    > Try this test, unplug from computer, now move mouse with just 2 fingers, a
    > good mouse should move effortlessly.

    it just needs a little teflon... I think they're still using teflon on
    the high-end mice, unfortunately like keyboards the price war has made
    quality devices hard to find.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 29, 2006