    over telnet, an insecure http form. Not for nefarious purposes, I am just
    wanting to learn security for security my own network at home and out and
    about using my linux over wifi.

    Proteus, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Proteus

    Proteus Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:47:28 -0600, Proteus wrote:

    > Are there any public sites I can telnet to or fill out an insecure form on
    > an http webpage at?

    I should add that I do not even need to successfully login to a telnet
    site, I just want to get the telnet prompt so I can type in a
    username/password to practice seeing it in ethereal; I expect to get
    denied successful login, but that will not matter for my purposes...
    UPDATE AS I WAS TYPING THIS it occurred to me to stop being lazy and go
    some googling and I remembered from before the days of the WWW that I used
    to telnet to the Library of Congress!!! Well I searched for telnet library
    of congress and indeed their telnet site is still up and running!
    telnet://locis.loc.gov
    perhaps this will be of use to someone else wanting to practice telnet, or
    learning ethereal, etc. No username or password at the LOC telnet site,
    but it can be fun and a way to practice learning ethereal perhaps.

    Proteus, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Proteus

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Proteus <> writes:

    > Are there any public sites I can telnet to or fill out an insecure form on
    > an http webpage at?

    Insecure forms are all over the place. Here's one where I don't care
    what you put in so long as you don't make a filesystem out of it:

    http://brlewis.com/map.brl

    Bruce Lewis, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Proteus <> wrote:

    > Are there any public sites I can telnet to or fill out an insecure
    > form on an http webpage at?
    >
    > I just installed ethereal on my linux system, am a total newbie at it,
    > I want to test it out by seeing that indeed i can sniff insecure info
    > sent over telnet, an insecure http form.

    Try telnetting to port 25 of a mailserver and sniffing that, or even
    try sending actual mail you send using your normal mail client. SMTP
    and POP3 are a good start if you want to learn what protocols look like
    in a sniffer, they're well documented and have easily understood
    commands.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Bill Bush is hot indicating Fax encryption doesn't work meaning Jim Wright
    votes to block NORAD,TUSA and Jiang Zemin.

    Juergen Nieveler, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Proteus

    Proteus Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:46:01 +0000, Juergen Nieveler wrote:
    ...> sent over telnet, an insecure http form.

    > Try telnetting to port 25 of a mailserver and sniffing that, or even
    > try sending actual mail you send using your normal mail client. SMTP
    > and POP3 are a good start if you want to learn what protocols look like
    > in a sniffer, they're well documented and have easily understood
    > commands.

    good idea, i forgot about that; and i know my email goes out without
    encryption.

    Proteus, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Proteus

    Donnie Guest

    "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    > Are there any public sites I can telnet to or fill out an insecure form on
    > an http webpage at?
    >
    > I just installed ethereal on my linux system, am a total newbie at it, I
    > want to test it out by seeing that indeed i can sniff insecure info sent
    > over telnet, an insecure http form. Not for nefarious purposes, I am just
    > wanting to learn security for security my own network at home and out and
    > about using my linux over wifi.

    #############################
    First of all, ssh has all but replaced telnet due to security holes. You
    might want to find a shell account somewhere or better yet, set up another
    PC and ssh or telnet between the two of them. Then you could watch etherreal
    all nite long.
    donnie.

    Donnie, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Proteus

    Ken K Guest

    Donnie wrote:

    > "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    >> Are there any public sites I can telnet to or fill out an insecure form
    >> on an http webpage at?
    >>
    >> I just installed ethereal on my linux system, am a total newbie at it, I
    >> want to test it out by seeing that indeed i can sniff insecure info sent
    >> over telnet, an insecure http form. Not for nefarious purposes, I am just
    >> wanting to learn security for security my own network at home and out and
    >> about using my linux over wifi.

    > First of all, ssh has all but replaced telnet due to security holes. You
    > might want to find a shell account somewhere or better yet, set up another
    > PC and ssh or telnet between the two of them. Then you could watch
    > etherreal all nite long.
    > donnie.

    I get the impression he wants to observe "clear" traffic and not encrypted.
    Peace!

    Ken K, Nov 30, 2005