    Roy

    --
    www.satgear.co.uk

    keymaster, Sep 26, 2005

  2. On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:45:10 +0100, "keymaster" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >I really want one of those UTstarcom f1000g phones - they look like a laugh.
    >Ideally I wold love to buy from a UK company, but can only find companies in
    >USA or germany.

    I have one 'on test/loan' from the importers. I have to say that
    it works fine with my Sipgate account when on a 'real' IP, but when
    behind a NAT router then results seem to be variable. The voice
    quality is good. The display and interface seems to me to be a bit
    'old-fashioned'.

    The USB connector on the base suggests that it ought to be
    configurable from a PC, but I gather that it isn't really USB, so it
    can't. It is *very* fiddly to set it up from the keypad!

    One amusing discovery was that a well-known chain of hot-spot
    providers doesn't block SIP, so I was able to make a phone call from
    one of their hot-spots without having an account with them!

    I was expecting it to be launched during the summer, but have seen
    nothing about it - possibly because the firmware is still being worked
    on.

    Phone number for Starcom is 0870 351 1802 for the UK office. I get
    the impression that Germany has the head office for the EU.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Sep 27, 2005

  3. On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:20:22 +0100, Harry Broomhall
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:45:10 +0100, "keymaster" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>I really want one of those UTstarcom f1000g phones - they look like a laugh.
    >>Ideally I wold love to buy from a UK company, but can only find companies in
    >>USA or germany.

    A further note - my phone is not the 'g' version, but the older
    802.11b one.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Sep 27, 2005
  4. keymaster

    alexd Guest

    Harry Broomhall wrote:

    > One amusing discovery was that a well-known chain of hot-spot
    > providers doesn't block SIP, so I was able to make a phone call from
    > one of their hot-spots without having an account with them!

    None of the hot spots I've been at block anything other than HTTP. Seems odd
    when their costs imply that it's such a valuable service they're providing.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:01:25 up 2 days, 7:25, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.17, 0.18

    alexd, Sep 28, 2005
  5. keymaster

    keymaster Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Harry Broomhall wrote:
    >
    >> One amusing discovery was that a well-known chain of hot-spot
    >> providers doesn't block SIP, so I was able to make a phone call from
    >> one of their hot-spots without having an account with them!

    > None of the hot spots I've been at block anything other than HTTP. Seems
    > odd
    > when their costs imply that it's such a valuable service they're
    > providing.
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 20:01:25 up 2 days, 7:25, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.17, 0.18
    > This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

    Hi
    Ha ha ha....now I REALLY want one
    Roy

    keymaster, Sep 28, 2005
  6. keymaster

    alexd Guest

    keymaster wrote:

    > "alexd" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Harry Broomhall wrote:
    >>
    >>> One amusing discovery was that a well-known chain of hot-spot
    >>> providers doesn't block SIP, so I was able to make a phone call from
    >>> one of their hot-spots without having an account with them!

    >> None of the hot spots I've been at block anything other than HTTP. Seems
    >> odd when their costs imply that it's such a valuable service they're
    >> providing.

    > Hi
    > Ha ha ha....now I REALLY want one

    well...I wouldn't buy one on the basis of what I've just said. I'll bet
    there a dozens of forums/newsgroups out there dedicated to exploring and
    discussing the various quirks and weaknesses of pay-for hot spot providers.
    But if you're ever going through Newcastle Airport, they have pay-for wifi
    that lets you use everything but HTTP for free :-D

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    23:59:55 up 2 days, 11:24, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.07

    alexd, Sep 29, 2005