    Many thanks
    Kevin

    , Oct 21, 2006

  2. joefoto Guest

    joefoto, Oct 21, 2006

  3. joefoto Guest

    Kevin,

    I live in the US, and found one of the labs is printing a 4 inch
    width, but a 5.3(?)inch length. this preserves the entire photo and
    files in standard 4x6 album pages. I think it is Shutterfly, and there
    is likely a similar service in the UK, if that would meet your need.

    Joe

    joefoto, Oct 21, 2006
  4. joefoto Guest

    Kevin,

    One of the US services provides 4 inch wide prints which maintain the
    digital aspect ratio. This gives a length of about 5.3 inches, but
    they fo fit 4x6 album pages. I believe it is Shutterfly here, but
    likely an UK service does similar if that would meet your need.

    Joe

    joefoto, Oct 21, 2006
  5. Dave Cohen Guest

    joefoto wrote:
    > Kevin,
    >
    > One of the US services provides 4 inch wide prints which maintain the
    > digital aspect ratio. This gives a length of about 5.3 inches, but
    > they fo fit 4x6 album pages. I believe it is Shutterfly here, but
    > likely an UK service does similar if that would meet your need.
    >
    > Joe

    All the ones I've tried offer the 5.3 option. I usually do my own
    cropping and save in 1.5 ration. I suppose a 6 x 4.3 size is to be
    expected from a country that uses rods, poles, perches and furlongs
    (just kidding).
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 21, 2006
  6. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Shutterfly in the US does digital aspect as well. I know I have 37 prints in
    this format and they will not fit in a 4x6 album. I have yet to find an
    album that they will fit in that isn't a magnetic one (sticky pages) or that
    has pockets for 5x7 which lets the slip and slide around. I don't recommend
    this size.

    Robert

    Hebee Jeebes, Oct 21, 2006
  7. KevinSmith Guest

    Hi Hebee

    Thanks for your warning about using 5x7's to hold smaller photos. That
    was going to be my fallback option!

    The only slip-in album I've been able to find so far is from a company
    that sells "Universal Organisers". These are files that store insert
    pages that have been designed to contain anything from CDs, negatives,
    coins etc. They have a 6x4.4 inch insert which works well. The Only
    thing is it's a lot more expensive than a basic album made for 6x4
    photos.

    So, still searching. Thanks to everyone who's given suggestions.

    Regards
    Kevin

    (This time I'm using my email account instead of the earlier post where
    I mistakenly used my wife's.)

    KevinSmith, Oct 21, 2006
  8. Ronald Hands Guest

    KevinSmith wrote:

    > The only slip-in album I've been able to find so far is from a company
    > that sells "Universal Organisers". These are files that store insert
    > pages that have been designed to contain anything from CDs, negatives,
    > coins etc. They have a 6x4.4 inch insert which works well. The Only
    > thing is it's a lot more expensive than a basic album made for 6x4
    > photos.
    >
    > So, still searching. Thanks to everyone who's given suggestions.

    Considering how easy it is, in various programs including the free
    ones, to crop photos to 6 x 4, I don't understand this preoccupation
    with 6 x 4.4.
    Why not just crop, and go with the standard size?

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Oct 22, 2006
  9. KevinSmith Guest

    Good Point Ron

    I started going through the 500 photos I want to upload to be printed.
    On the 2nd photo I had to decide what I was going to chop off. As an
    amateur I follow the frame of the camera. For many shots, it's just
    like how I want it. By doing manual cropping on all photos I'm going to
    have to spend agonising time with many photos working out best place
    for crop.

    As a snapper, I prefer to do my cropping at the time I take the photo.
    It works fine 95% of time. Maybe I should draw two black lines down the
    sides of my camera screen to remind me of the 6x4 dimensions ;-)

    Regards
    Kevin

    KevinSmith, Oct 22, 2006
  10. Ronald Hands Guest

    KevinSmith wrote:

    > As a snapper, I prefer to do my cropping at the time I take the photo.
    > It works fine 95% of time. Maybe I should draw two black lines down the
    > sides of my camera screen to remind me of the 6x4 dimensions ;-)

    You're going to have another problem, then, if you decide the print
    really should be an 8 x 10 :)

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Oct 22, 2006
  11. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Well, I for one will let them crop. I just wish the online printers was
    easier to choose you crops. Since you really have no idea what they do to
    the images to print them I am not comfortable cropping to 4 x 6 @ 300dpi in
    the off chance they do something odd and mess up my crop. Just another
    reason to print at home. It looks like my Epson PictureMate, Epson R2400 and
    HP Photosmart B9180 is going to be getting much more use.

    Hebee Jeebes, Oct 22, 2006