Where can I find old analogue cable converters? What happened to United Artist Cable?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Radium, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. Radium

    Radium Guest

    Hi:

    In April of '89, I rented a cable-converter-box from United Artist. It
    was obviously an analogue cable-converter as at that time, there were
    no digital equivalents. It had red LED display for the channels. I
    gave it back to United Artist Cable in August of '92.

    Where can I find this box or something similar? I have the book that
    came with the cable box but it doesn't give the model-# or anything I
    could use to ID it?

    Also, what happened to United Artist? I called up their phone number
    in August of '94, and their name was changed to "TCI Cable Vision".
    That phone number is no longer valid.

    This cable box had the option of connected to channel 2 or 3 in the
    television. This was weird because usually the option is channel 3 or
    4, as it was with the Nintendo Entertainment System I had at the time.

    Currently, what is the name of the cable company who used to be United
    Artist?

    Thanks in advance,

    Radium
    Radium, Aug 23, 2007

  2. Radium

    Allen Abel Guest

    "Radium" <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >

    > Also, what happened to United Artist? I called up their phone number
    > in August of '94, and their name was changed to "TCI Cable Vision".
    > That phone number is no longer valid.
    >
    > Currently, what is the name of the cable company who used to be

    United
    > Artist?

    Well, this will get you caught up to March of 1999:

    AT&T completes megamerger with TCI
    http://news.com.com/2100-1033-222771.html

    Allen Abel, Aug 24, 2007

  3. Radium

    HankG Guest

    "Radium" <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > In April of '89, I rented a cable-converter-box from United Artist. It
    > was obviously an analogue cable-converter as at that time, there were
    > no digital equivalents. It had red LED display for the channels. I
    > gave it back to United Artist Cable in August of '92.
    >
    > Where can I find this box or something similar? I have the book that
    > came with the cable box but it doesn't give the model-# or anything I
    > could use to ID it?
    >
    > Also, what happened to United Artist? I called up their phone number
    > in August of '94, and their name was changed to "TCI Cable Vision".
    > That phone number is no longer valid.
    >
    > This cable box had the option of connected to channel 2 or 3 in the
    > television. This was weird because usually the option is channel 3 or
    > 4, as it was with the Nintendo Entertainment System I had at the time.
    >
    > Currently, what is the name of the cable company who used to be United
    > Artist?

    How about using a cable-ready VCR? You may still get one at Wal-Mart.

    HankG
    HankG, Aug 25, 2007