    Looking Guest

    Where can I find Christmas music to download for free? Preferably whole
    albums, but individual tracks are ok as well. TIA!
    Looking, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Looking

    martin Guest

    "Looking" <> wrote in message
    news:WGUFb.1$%...
    > Where can I find Christmas music to download for free? Preferably whole
    > albums, but individual tracks are ok as well. TIA!

    Try www.mp3.com you have to register with them with a valid e-mail address
    but registration is free. They're mostly new artists but you might find what
    you're looking for.

    Hope this helps

    Martin
    martin, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Looking

    gangle Guest

    Clicking any of the links on this page takes you to an Amazon.com
    page, where that free MP3 is available by right clicking on "Download
    Song Now" -- then choose "Save Target As..."
    http://www.amclassical.com/christmas/

    gangle, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Looking

    gangle Guest

    ADDITIONAL INFO on Xmas MP3s: Check your news
    server for: news:alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.christmas
    There's lots of good stuff there to download.

    I see that you are using OE6. Just in case you are not
    familiar with downloading binaries from newsgroups,
    here's my canned guide on doing that:

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    yEnc is a type of binary to text encoding that has much
    less "overhead" than Uuencoded files.
    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    RAR files are (usually) large multimedia type of files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) that have been archived and split into
    parts. You need WinRar to reassemble the archive and
    decompress it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).

    gangle, Dec 23, 2003