where can I find a connection switcher

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by FireBrick, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. FireBrick

    FireBrick Guest

    I remember seeing someone talking about a utility that would see how your
    machine is connected and choose the correct connection.
    My portable has wifi, cable, and a built-in modem.
    The utility would check to see which type of access was available and
    automagically use the best/fastest one.
    Obviously if the wired and wifi were not available, it would drop down to
    the modem.

    So was I hallucinating again?

    Anyone able to help?

    I'll give up my guns when it takes longer for a burglar to shoot than it
    does for a cop to get here from a donut shop.

    Bill H. in Chicagoland
    FireBrick, Aug 11, 2004

  2. This should be part of your Internet Explorer setup.

    In Internet explorer, look at Tools>Internet Options
    Click on the Connections Tab and setup the correct requirements for your PC.

    Now stop eating, drinking, smoking or injecting that stuff you used last
    night.

    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=, Aug 15, 2004

  3. FireBrick

    FireBrick Guest

    I've looked at that a dozen times
    I just must not understand as I see nothing that says or indicates that it
    will automatically switch to a connection type if one is not available.

    FireBrick, Aug 16, 2004
  4. FireBrick

    Phyllis Guest

    Pardon my ignorance, but what would the correct requirements consists of?
    If you have built-in wireless adapter, shouldn't it automatically look for
    the best connection. I have no problem here at home with it connecting up,
    but I just got this laptop and haven't had a chance to try it away from home
    yet. When I am at a place with known wireless access, how do I make it
    connect up with their internet access? Thanks

    Phyllis, Aug 27, 2004