    Blade Runner SE

    I'm assuming Warner will be releasing their 2-disc special editions for these.
    But when?
    BubbCoop, Apr 3, 2004

  2. BubbCoop

    CW Guest

    > Batman SE

    In 2005

    > Blade Runner SE

    Still held up due to legal issues
    CW, Apr 3, 2004

  3. BubbCoop

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "CW" <> wrote in message
    news:M0Fbc.1967$...
    > > Batman SE

    > In 2005

    A question: on all the video versions of this movie I've seen, there is a
    line the Joker says as Batman is escaping the art museum, something along
    the lines of:

    "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

    Except, the first couple of words are cut off. I never saw this in the
    theater, but it's hard for me to believe this was the way it was really
    edited. It reminds me of the odd cutoff in "Poltergeist", when the scene
    suddenly cuts in a way an editor would never, ever cut it.

    Is this a flaw on the video transfers? If so, any bets on whether it'll be
    fixed?

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 3, 2004
  4. BubbCoop

    Ollie T Guest

    I have always noticed the same thing with my old VHS copy. I remember it
    being a main scene in the trailer for the film where you could hear the line
    clearly. On the tape it sounds like he just starts with "...get those
    wonderful toys".

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Apr 3, 2004
  5. BubbCoop

    Chris Banzai Guest

    Greetings,

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:05:29 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    >"CW" <> wrote in message
    >> > Batman SE

    >> In 2005

    >A question: on all the video versions of this movie I've seen, there is a
    >line the Joker says as Batman is escaping the art museum, something along
    >the lines of:
    >
    >"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
    >
    >Except, the first couple of words are cut off. I never saw this in the
    >theater, but it's hard for me to believe this was the way it was really
    >edited.

    I don't remember for sure about the theater cut, but I remember in the
    previews a follow-up bit with Joker turning to his men going "Don't
    just stand there - ASK HIM!" or somesuch that isn't on the home
    version.

    Chris
    "Lately the only thing keeping me from being a serial killer is my
    distaste
    for manual labor." - Dogbert

    Highlander - Buckaroo Banzai - Buffy - Kolchak - Jon Sable - Ceirdwyn
    The Sims - Doc Savage
    all can be found at:
    http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant
    Chris Banzai, Apr 4, 2004
  6. BubbCoop

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Ollie T" <> wrote in message
    > I have always noticed the same thing with my old VHS copy. I remember it
    > being a main scene in the trailer for the film where you could hear the

    line
    > clearly. On the tape it sounds like he just starts with "...get those
    > wonderful toys".

    Right, exactly. And it *is* perfectly spoken in the trailer...but not the
    movie. It's mystifying. Anyway, I hope they fix it for the DVD, since I'm
    sure that's not an intentional edit. Ditto for "Poltergeist".

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 7, 2004
  7. BubbCoop

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (BubbCoop) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Batman SE
    > Blade Runner SE
    >
    > I'm assuming Warner will be releasing their 2-disc special editions for these.
    > But when?

    I don't know about Batman... but for Blade Runner info... (I edited
    the below for readability...)

    http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm

    In what has now become a quarterly update, I can say that last week
    The Home Theater Forum held a live chat with Warner Home Video and it
    wasn't long before "the question" was asked:

    "What is the status of the definitive, multi-disc Blade Runner special
    edition?"

    The answer was not a total negative, but was hardly inspiring either,
    "You all know BLADE RUNNER has legal issues. We are currently
    investigating what options we have to revisit the title."

    One might deduce from this that the 3-DVD set with Ridley's definitive
    cut may have gone on indefinite hold, but that Warners might be
    considering the lesser option of releasing an "interim" version. The
    ownership rights are so messed up that I really have no idea exactly
    what that could include or how much better of a transfer they might be
    able to achieve without further permissions. As usual, it is a case of
    wait and see.

    If you are so inclined, you might want to sign a petition to Jerry
    Perenchio about letting the full BR:SE happen. I personally think it
    is more likely to piss him off than have any positive effect, but here
    is the petition for you to check out.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/B26354/petition.html

    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/m...00&en=61ba4e4493609dc9&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

    The NY Times (13 DEC 2003) has named names on why the Blade Runner
    Special Edition 3-DVD set is on hold. It is their report, not mine.

    They say, "The avidly awaited, definitive version of Ridley Scott's
    science-fiction classic, "Blade Runner," won't be out on DVD anytime
    soon for stranger reasons.

    When "Blade Runner" was being shot in the early 1980's, Bud Yorkin, a
    veteran television comedy producer, and Jerry Perenchio, now the
    C.E.O. of Univision, were the film's bond-completion guarantors. When
    the film went over budget, by contract they assumed ownership of the
    film. Paul Sammon wrote in his book "Future Noir: The Making of `Blade
    Runner' " that they hated the film, had bitter disputes with Mr. Scott
    and tried to take it away from him altogether.
    The studio release, in 1982, contained superfluous narration and a
    tacked-on rosy ending. Mr. Scott removed both when he was allowed to
    make a "director's cut" in 1992, but it was, by his own account, a
    rush job.

    Three years ago, Mr. Scott announced that he was working on a
    three-disc box set, which would offer all the versions of the film,
    including a new and polished director's cut with previously unseen
    footage and scads of bonus features. Then, at the end of 2001, Warner
    Brothers, which was planning to distribute the discs, pulled the plug.
    It did so, according to a producer who worked on the project, because
    Mr. Perenchio gave no sign that he would let them be released.

    Mr. Perenchio, speaking through an assistant, had no comment on the
    situation. (Warner Brothers still sells the 1992 "director's cut,"
    though the picture quality is mediocre.)"

    Now, you might already know, or have guessed most, if not all, of the
    above, but let me say that the project is not dead. We still hope for
    the possibility that the BR:SE DVD set will be finished and released
    in our lifetimes. I expect that writing to Mr Perenchio will do no
    good and of course is not something this website supports... ~ An
    address associated with him is:

    Jerry Perenchio
    Univision Communications Inc
    1999 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 3050
    Los Angeles, CA 90067
    phone: (310) 556-7676
    fax: (310) 556-3568
    http://www.univision.com
    Jordan Lund, Apr 7, 2004
  8. >
    >The answer was not a total negative, but was hardly inspiring either,
    >"You all know BLADE RUNNER has legal issues. We are currently
    >investigating what options we have to revisit the title."

    such a shame. I'd love to have both theatrical versions on DVD and see the
    deleted hospital scenes and go-go dancers with hockey masks (which may not even
    exist anymore)
    Vlvetmorning98, Apr 8, 2004