    was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    DT

    , Nov 17, 2007

  2. JerryGrims Guest

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:20:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    >web.
    >
    >I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    >gallery. Does anyone have a great link?
    >
    >Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    >tomorrow.
    >
    >But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    >was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....
    >

    >DT

    But it's much more fun to watch you throw away your money and then prove to you
    why you did indeed just waste it. We have to make your money count for something
    no? There's entertainment value in it for the rest of us.

    Let me know when you get your D-SLR, I might post one photo to prove it to you.

    JerryGrims, Nov 17, 2007

  3. Scott W Guest

    wrote:
    > Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    > web.
    >
    > I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    > gallery. Does anyone have a great link?
    >
    > Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    > was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    A good reality check to to look at something like whale photos in PBase,
    look at the ones that you like and check out what kind of camera was
    used. I believe you will find that almost all are from DSLRs, odd when
    you remember that most people are using p&s cameras.
    http://search.pbase.com/search?q=whale&b=Search Photos&c=sp

    Scott

    Scott W, Nov 17, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Nov 16, 7:20 pm, wrote:
    > Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    > web.
    >
    > I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    > gallery. Does anyone have a great link?
    >
    > Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    > was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....
    >
    > DT

    What kind of photos that you want to take? There are some decent
    galleries which utilized Sony DSC R1 Point and shoot cameras. Try this
    one.
    http://www.pbase.com/tylim/root
    Hope that this helps you.

    , Nov 17, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Nov 16, 8:40�pm, wrote:
    > On Nov 16, 7:20 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    > > web.

    > > I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    > > gallery. �Does anyone have a great link?

    > > Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    > > tomorrow.

    > > But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    > > was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    > > DT

    > What kind of photos that you want to take? �There are some decent
    > galleries which utilized Sony DSC R1 Point and shoot cameras. Try this
    > one.http://www.pbase.com/tylim/root
    > Hope that this helps you.

    Some nice photos for sure. But the DSCR1 goes
    for about $1300. I ain't going to be saving much money
    there, and i wouldn't really call this DSCR1 a simple
    "point and shot" either. Seems to be a nice lens there.

    , Nov 17, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Nov 16, 7:25�pm, JerryGrims <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:20:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:
    > >Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    > >web.

    > >I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    > >gallery. �Does anyone have a great link?

    > >Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    > >tomorrow.

    > >But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    > >was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    > >DT

    > But it's much more fun to watch you throw away your money and then prove to you
    > why you did indeed just waste it. We have to make your money count for something
    > no? There's entertainment value in it for the rest of us.
    >
    > Let me know when you get your D-SLR, I might post one photo to prove it to you.

    Most likely, you don't even have ONE
    good photo from a point a shoot!

    HA!

    , Nov 17, 2007
  7. Douglas Guest

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:08:52 -0800, dumbtroll wrote:

    > On Nov 16, 8:40�pm, wrote:
    >> On Nov 16, 7:20 pm, wrote:
    >>
    >> > Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the web.

    >> > I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo gallery.

    �Does
    >> > anyone have a great link?

    >> > Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d tomorrow.

    >> > But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that was
    >> > done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    >> > DT

    >> What kind of photos that you want to take? �There are some decent
    >> galleries which utilized Sony DSC R1 Point and shoot cameras. Try this
    >> one.http://www.pbase.com/tylim/root
    >> Hope that this helps you.

    > Some nice photos for sure. But the DSCR1 goes
    > for about $1300. I ain't going to be saving much money there, and i
    > wouldn't really call this DSCR1 a simple "point and shot" either. Seems
    > to be a nice lens there.

    What about this one then?
    http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/previews/scott-katrina/

    Shot entirely with a Panasonic FZ50 (after my shooter dropped the s5) ;)

    Douglas
    --
    If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!

    Douglas, Nov 17, 2007
  8. John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:20:40 -0800 (PST), wrote in
    <>:

    >Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    >web.
    >
    >I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    >gallery. Does anyone have a great link?
    >
    >Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    >tomorrow.
    >
    >But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    >was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    I'll pass -- no offense intended, but this looks too much like a
    waste-of-time troll to me. I'm sure you can find great compact photos
    on your own if you really want to -- there are lots of them out there.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Nov 17, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Nov 16, 10:47 pm, Douglas <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:08:52 -0800, dumbtroll wrote:

    > �Does

    > >> What kind of photos that you want to take? �There are some decent
    > >> galleries which utilized Sony DSC R1 Point and shoot cameras. Try this
    > >> one.http://www.pbase.com/tylim/root
    > >> Hope that this helps you.

    > >     Some nice photos for sure.  But the DSCR1 goes
    > > for about $1300.  I ain't going to be saving much money there, and i
    > > wouldn't really call this DSCR1 a simple "point and shot" either.  Seems
    > > to be a nice lens there.

    > What about this one then?http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/previews/scott-katrina/
    >
    > Shot entirely with a Panasonic FZ50 (after my shooter dropped the s5) ;)

    Not bad. But not mind-blowing.

    Here's my theory:

    The reason there are a greater number
    of high quality pics taken with dSLR, is because
    the better, more professional (or completely pro)photographers end up
    getting the highest quality
    cameras they can. And so perhaps even more than
    the technical quality of the equipment, then simple
    have better eyes and instincts for good composition,
    lighting, and DOF, etc.

    , Nov 17, 2007
  10. wrote:
    > On Nov 16, 10:47 pm, Douglas <> wrote:

    >> ?Does

    >>> Some nice photos for sure. But the DSCR1 goes
    >>> for about $1300. I ain't going to be saving much money there, and i
    >>> wouldn't really call this DSCR1 a simple "point and shot" either.
    >>> Seems to be a nice lens there.

    >> What about this one
    >> then?http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/previews/scott-katrina/
    >>
    >> Shot entirely with a Panasonic FZ50 (after my shooter dropped the
    >> s5) ;)
    >>

    > Not bad. But not mind-blowing.
    >
    > Here's my theory:
    >
    > The reason there are a greater number
    > of high quality pics taken with dSLR, is because
    > the better, more professional (or completely pro)photographers end up
    > getting the highest quality
    > cameras they can. And so perhaps even more than
    > the technical quality of the equipment, then simple
    > have better eyes and instincts for good composition,
    > lighting, and DOF, etc.

    Buy your Canon. It looks much more impressive when walking thru the park,
    particularly if you step out of a Porsche or a Bentley.

    You may even get some mind-blowing photos using the Canon, if you know where
    to look for them!

    Some poster referred to the Panasonic FZ50, not exactly what I would call a
    point-and-shoot, it's Leica zoom lens will beat the Canon hands down, but
    don't be influenced by such statements, order your Canon, then wait a few
    months before looking for something better.

    DP

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 17, 2007
  11. Guest

    On Nov 16, 7:20 pm, wrote:
    > Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    > web.
    >
    > I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    > gallery. Does anyone have a great link?
    >
    > Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    > was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....
    >
    > DT

    One of my favourite site is a website by Marisa at pbase
    http://www.pbase.com/mardoli/all_my_galleries
    I think some of the photos were taken with a Canon Powershot S60 (plus
    Canon DSLR 350D, and maybe others?)
    Beautifully and artistically done website!

    , Nov 17, 2007
  12. Guest

    On Nov 17, 2:54�am, "Dennis Pogson" <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> ?Does

    > >> What about this one
    > >> then?http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/previews/scott-katrina/

    > >> Shot entirely with a Panasonic FZ50 (after my shooter dropped the
    > >> s5) ;)

    > > � �Not bad. �But not mind-blowing.

    > > � �Here's my theory:

    > > � � � The reason there are a greater number
    > > of high quality pics taken with dSLR, is because
    > > the better, more professional (or completely pro)photographers end up
    > > getting the highest quality
    > > cameras they can. �And so perhaps even more than
    > > the technical quality of the equipment, then simple
    > > have better eyes and instincts for good composition,
    > > lighting, and DOF, etc.

    > Buy your Canon. It looks much more impressive when walking thru the park,
    > particularly if you step out of a Porsche or a Bentley.

    ????? What gave you the idea that i care
    about the looks of the camera itself? My
    powershot G3 isn't exactly a looker! But for
    pics smaller than 8.5x11, it takes great photos.

    > You may even get some mind-blowing photos using the Canon, if you know where
    > to look for them!
    >
    > Some poster referred to the Panasonic FZ50, not exactly what I would call a
    > point-and-shoot, it's Leica zoom lens will beat the Canon hands down, but
    > don't be influenced by such statements, order your Canon, then wait a few
    > months before looking for something better.

    I used to get the cheapest deal out there
    for anything. But now I'm getting tired of
    upgrading all the time.....time to get the
    pretty good stuff to last a while.

    , Nov 17, 2007
  13. Guest

    On Nov 17, 12:54�am, John Navas <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:20:40 -0800 (PST), wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    > >web.

    > >I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    > >gallery. �Does anyone have a great link?

    > >Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    > >tomorrow.

    > >But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    > >was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    > I'll pass -- no offense intended, but this looks too much like a
    > waste-of-time troll to me. �I'm sure you can find great compact photos
    > on your own if you really want to -- there are lots of them out there.

    Yeah, too bad you wasted time typing this...

    , Nov 17, 2007
  14. John Navas wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:20:40 -0800 (PST), wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >> Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    >> web.
    >>
    >> I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    >> gallery. Does anyone have a great link?
    >>
    >> Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    >> tomorrow.
    >>
    >> But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    >> was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    > I'll pass -- no offense intended, but this looks too much like a
    > waste-of-time troll to me.

    It's not ... I'd also like to see such a thing. That is,
    a whole gallery of great P&S photos. Note: these must be full
    camera resolution, not just 768x1024 for computer screen.

    I've posted one of my photos, why don't you post a link
    to a P&S gallery of great shots. It should not be difficult
    (that's not a joke ... as all the P&S people say, what matters
    is teh image, and that's true.)

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 17, 2007
  15. wrote:

    >> But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    >> was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....
    >>
    >> DT

    > One of my favourite site is a website by Marisa at pbase
    > http://www.pbase.com/mardoli/all_my_galleries
    > I think some of the photos were taken with a Canon Powershot S60 (plus
    > Canon DSLR 350D, and maybe others?)
    > Beautifully and artistically done website!

    Well, yes, at those sizes you can tell is that the photographer
    was first rate, and the camera up to the task. Note that whoever
    it was was not content to let her (presumably) P&S do the exposure
    alone: one sees "Exposure bias" normally at -1/3.

    The caveat is that at those sizes, one can't tell whether the focus is
    perfect, nor the lens quality. Still, at least somebody had the decency to
    actually post a link to a gallery of photos of quality made with
    a P&S.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 17, 2007
  16. Doug McDonald wrote:

    > I've posted one of my photos, why don't you post a link
    > to a P&S gallery of great shots. It should not be difficult
    > (that's not a joke ... as all the P&S people say, what matters
    > is teh image, and that's true.)

    Alas a posted image is very different than a printed image.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 17, 2007
  17. Douglas Guest

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:09:29 -0800, SMS 斯蒂文• å¤ wrote:

    > Doug McDonald wrote:
    >
    >> I've posted one of my photos, why don't you post a link to a P&S
    >> gallery of great shots. It should not be difficult (that's not a joke
    >> ... as all the P&S people say, what matters is teh image, and that's
    >> true.)

    > Alas a posted image is very different than a printed image.

    10 Points for that statement.

    Douglas

    --
    If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!

    Douglas, Nov 17, 2007
  18. Douglas wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:09:29 -0800, SMS 斯蒂文• å¤ wrote:
    >
    >> Doug McDonald wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've posted one of my photos, why don't you post a link to a P&S
    >>> gallery of great shots. It should not be difficult (that's not a joke
    >>> ... as all the P&S people say, what matters is teh image, and that's
    >>> true.)

    >> Alas a posted image is very different than a printed image.

    > 10 Points for that statement.
    >
    > Douglas

    If the posted image is full resolution, I can just print it. Sure,
    I might have to massage it a bit, but if it eventually prints
    beautifully, so be it in terms of proving the camera
    was up to the task.

    Unfortunately those lovely photos of Italy were not full resolution.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 17, 2007
  19. RBrickston Guest

    In article <e092f5e9-93f4-420f-953f-
    >, says...
    > On Nov 16, 7:20 pm, wrote:
    > > Ok, i have seen some incredible dSLR photos on the
    > > web.
    > >
    > > I have yet to see a mind-blowing point and shoot photo
    > > gallery. Does anyone have a great link?
    > >
    > > Mind you, i have pretty much decided to order the Canon 40d
    > > tomorrow.
    > >
    > > But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    > > was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....
    > >
    > > DT

    > What kind of photos that you want to take? There are some decent
    > galleries which utilized Sony DSC R1 Point and shoot cameras. Try this
    > one.
    > http://www.pbase.com/tylim/root
    > Hope that this helps you.

    Don't give up your day job.

    RBrickston, Nov 18, 2007
  20. John Navas Guest

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 03:34:14 -0800 (PST), wrote in
    <>:

    >On Nov 17, 2:54?am, "Dennis Pogson" <>
    >wrote:

    >... My
    >powershot G3 isn't exactly a looker! But for
    >pics smaller than 8.5x11, it takes great photos.

    Properly printed, a G3 should be able to do excellent 8x10, and pretty
    good 11x14. In the latter case, you might want to try resizing first to
    300 DPI (or even 600 DPI, depending on the printer) with Lanczos
    resampling.

    > I used to get the cheapest deal out there
    >for anything. But now I'm getting tired of
    >upgrading all the time.....time to get the
    >pretty good stuff to last a while.

    My own personal practice is usually to buy one generation back. That
    avoids the bleeding edge premium while still giving me long useful life.

    John Navas, Nov 19, 2007