    have a more important concern--there's no way to put in new helper apps or
    plug-ins. There's nothing that tells you how to add them back. Anybody know
    how? Thanks.
    Hiawatha Bray, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Hiawatha Bray

    Doug G Guest

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > I used to be able to play audio files on my Linux computer with just a
    > click. Then it stopped working. When I went to file types under
    > Preferences, the field is empty. When I look at plug-ins, there's one
    > entry, for Java. There's nothing there for playing audio files.
    >
    > I'm mystified as to why it worked, then stopped working. But for now, I
    > have a more important concern--there's no way to put in new helper apps or
    > plug-ins. There's nothing that tells you how to add them back. Anybody know
    > how? Thanks.

    AFAIK, Firefox uses the O/S's settings for helper applications. There
    is nothing listed in my Firefox's File Types box.

    Some of the plugins I have listed in about:plugins put their DLL files
    in Firefox's plugins folder when they were installed or configured. I
    copied the other DLL files there.

    I use Windows XP.
    Doug G, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Hiawatha Bray

    Moz Champion Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    >
    >> I used to be able to play audio files on my Linux computer with just a
    >> click. Then it stopped working. When I went to file types under
    >> Preferences, the field is empty. When I look at plug-ins, there's one
    >> entry, for Java. There's nothing there for playing audio files.
    >>
    >> I'm mystified as to why it worked, then stopped working. But for now,
    >> I have a more important concern--there's no way to put in new helper
    >> apps or plug-ins. There's nothing that tells you how to add them
    >> back. Anybody know how? Thanks.
    >>

    > AFAIK, Firefox uses the O/S's settings for helper applications. There
    > is nothing listed in my Firefox's File Types box.
    >
    > Some of the plugins I have listed in about:plugins put their DLL files
    > in Firefox's plugins folder when they were installed or configured. I
    > copied the other DLL files there.
    >
    > I use Windows XP.

    There will be no helper applications listed unless you add them.
    When (and if) you run into a mime type that Firefox cant handle, then
    the helper application will be entered for you, based on your choices at
    that time.

    Plug-ins have to be installed to be available for Firefox usage
    see
    Moz Champion, Jul 7, 2005