    Outlook express. Where are they typically found on windows 2000 pro?
    thanks

    lbbss

    None, Jun 10, 2005

  2. None

    old jon Guest

    "None" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My hard drive crashed so now I have it hooked up as a slave and trying to
    > backup the data. For some reason I can't find the dbx file to backup
    > Outlook express. Where are they typically found on windows 2000 pro?
    > thanks
    >
    > lbbss

    Start\Search ( to slave drive).dbx best wishes..J

    old jon, Jun 10, 2005

  3. None

    Keme Guest

    None wrote:
    > My hard drive crashed so now I have it hooked up as a slave and trying to
    > backup the data. For some reason I can't find the dbx file to backup
    > Outlook express. Where are they typically found on windows 2000 pro?
    > thanks
    >
    > lbbss

    You probably need to look into profile folders, placed inside "documents
    and settings" and likely to be hidden. Be sure to select option to
    search inside hidden folders.

    Keme, Jun 10, 2005
  4. None

    None Guest

    I did that with no luck.
    I looked under C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
    Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{31391EF3-B3AC-4F12-94D8-DC2DA45E9526}\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express
    but found it empty. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
    That is the typical location, is it not?

    None, Jun 10, 2005
  5. None

    None Guest

    So now what? Is there any free utilities out there to try to recover data
    from hard drive?

    None, Jun 10, 2005
  6. None

    Guest

    On "None" <> wrote:

    |>So now what? Is there any free utilities out there to try to recover data
    |>from hard drive?

    You can run CHKDSK.EXE on the drive then search thru the *.CHK files.

    You could download and burn this ISO to a CD then boot up with it.
    http://download.fluxxnet.com/applications/misc/Hirens.Boot.CD.6/
    Lots of recovery programs, and you don't need to run the patch.

    --

    , Jun 10, 2005
  7. None

    None Guest

    I ran CHKDSK.EXE but did not find bad sectors or lost clusters on my primary
    partition. The secondary backup partition chkdsk found errors.
    Message: correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) DATA
    attribute. correcting errors in the Volume bitmap. Windows found
    problems with the file system. It give me the option to use the chkdsk
    /f switch, to fix the errors. But I don't want to do that until I backup
    as much as I can from the drive.

    My hard drive is dual boot. I tried booting to both partiotioins, but both
    give me error missing ntoshkrnl.exe, or something like that. I tried to
    reload windows 2000, it starts reading the hd, but then it give me a message
    (blue screen) that it could not continue due to (I don't remember due to
    what).

    None, Jun 10, 2005
  8. None

    Guest

    On "None" <> wrote:
    |>I ran CHKDSK.EXE but did not find bad sectors or lost clusters on my primary
    |>partition. The secondary backup partition chkdsk found errors.
    |>Message: correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) DATA
    |>attribute. correcting errors in the Volume bitmap. Windows found
    |>problems with the file system. It give me the option to use the chkdsk
    |>/f switch, to fix the errors. But I don't want to do that until I backup
    |>as much as I can from the drive.

    The way windows will fix your problem (lost clusters) will be to move
    them to a found directory with files ending in the .CHK extension -
    you can then search the files for text.

    |>My hard drive is dual boot. I tried booting to both partiotioins, but both
    |>give me error missing ntoshkrnl.exe, or something like that. I tried to
    |>reload windows 2000, it starts reading the hd, but then it give me a message
    |>(blue screen) that it could not continue due to (I don't remember due to
    |>what).

    If both systems are not booting up due to a missing ntoshkrnl.exe
    error, me thinks when you installed the second drive you bump'd up the
    drive letters of those systems.

    Adding the drive as slave makes the first partition of that drive D:

    Edit your boot.ini to reflect the change.

    --

    , Jun 10, 2005
  9. None

    None Guest

    what is surprising is that it did not find any chk file on either drives.
    And my OE dbx files have disappeared. Everything else seams to be still
    there.

    None, Jun 10, 2005
  10. None

    Guest

    On "None" <> wrote:

    |>what is surprising is that it did not find any chk file on either drives.
    |>And my OE dbx files have disappeared. Everything else seams to be still
    |>there.

    You did catch Keme's post about hidden files right?

    --

    , Jun 10, 2005
  11. None

    None Guest

    I think you are on to something. the two partitions are both 2000, but
    one is sp1 and the other is 2p4. The problem is that first partition is
    the one that I mainly use. The first partition is the one that has the
    problem with the file system MFT. So what you are saying is that one
    partition could be causing boot problems to the second. The problem I
    have is I don't know how to switch the boot sequence, since the two
    partitions are ladled the same in the boot.ini Am I on the right track?

    [boot loader]
    timeout=0
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect

    None, Jun 10, 2005
  12. None

    None Guest

    Oops, the are not labelled the same (almost the same) partition (1) and
    partition(2)
    btw: I searched for the file ntoskrnl.exe and it exists on both partitions.
    One is in capital letters and the dates are different. Should I delete
    it on the corrupted one and replace it with a good one? How can I tell if
    that particular file is corrupted? Thanks.

    None, Jun 10, 2005
  13. None

    Guest

    On "None" <> wrote:

    |>I think you are on to something. the two partitions are both 2000, but
    |>one is sp1 and the other is 2p4. The problem is that first partition is
    |>the one that I mainly use. The first partition is the one that has the
    |>problem with the file system MFT. So what you are saying is that one
    |>partition could be causing boot problems to the second. The problem I
    |>have is I don't know how to switch the boot sequence, since the two
    |>partitions are ladled the same in the boot.ini Am I on the right track?
    |>

    |>[boot loader]
    |>timeout=0
    |>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    |>[operating systems]
    |>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    |>Professional" /fastdetect
    |>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    |>Professional" /fastdetect

    One is set to run from C: drive - partition(1)
    The other set to run from D: - partition(2)

    --

    , Jun 10, 2005
  14. None

    Guest

    On "None" <> wrote:

    |>Oops, the are not labelled the same (almost the same) partition (1) and
    |>partition(2)
    |>btw: I searched for the file ntoskrnl.exe and it exists on both partitions.
    |>One is in capital letters and the dates are different. Should I delete
    |>it on the corrupted one and replace it with a good one? How can I tell if
    |>that particular file is corrupted? Thanks.

    Why would both go bad at the same time...

    Boot up with your CD and repair the boot files.

    --

    , Jun 10, 2005
  15. None

    None Guest

    That's the thing I tried booting with the cd and it starts ok, then part way
    (before you even get to the options menu) it stops and gives me some general
    message about not being able to continue. (I don't remember the exact
    message off hand).

    what about editing the boot.ini and making the default partition 2 instead
    of one ? I doubt it will work since I tired to boot to both partitions in
    safe mode and neither one will boot.

    thanks for your help.

    None, Jun 10, 2005
  16. None

    None Guest

    I am back to square one. I did eventually find my OE file. Then I tried
    to boot from win 2000 cd, but it gave me a message "line 3595 inf file is
    invalid, setup can not continue" That happens 10 seconds after inserting
    the cd, before the setup menu.

    Tried to boot with xp CD and similar thing happens, Message "file
    usbuhci.sys is corrupted, press any key. It does not even go to the setup
    menu, that allows you to format hd.

    Also, I had ntoskrnl.exe is missing error when my system firt crashed.

    Thanks for your help.

    None, Jun 13, 2005
  17. None

    None Guest

    I found the problem. I reset the bios to default setting. It turns out
    the cpu clock setting was set wrong (too high), and the was the root of all
    my problems. Sometimes I have to remember to look at the basics first.
    Thanks all for your help.

    None, Jun 15, 2005