  1. Guest

    I can't find any - are there some?
    , Jul 5, 2010

  2. Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Jul 5, 2010

  3. Guest

    thats a web site

    if you need support newsgroups are essential
    websites are just not acceptable for professional support

    web sites are for marketing brochures and amateurs that
    want to learn how to use a keyboard.

    if microsoft are not going to provide professional
    support it seems my business has another reason
    to look at linux.

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 06:41:22 -0700, Carlos
    <> wrote:

    >Right here:
    >http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
    >Carlos
    >
    >"" wrote:
    >

    >> I can't find any - are there some?
    >>
    >> .

    , Jul 6, 2010
  4. Steve Foster Guest

    wrote:

    > I can't find any - are there some?

    I don't think Microsoft ever created any Windows 7 specific groups.

    And they are now in the process of abandoning NNTP and closing down
    their operation of the microsoft.* hierarchy. I expect
    msnews.microsoft.com to be gone by the end of the year (there were in
    excess of 2000 groups listed prior to 1st June - that number is now
    just over 200).

    However, NNTP being a peered protocol, many of the existing groups will
    continue on other public NNTP servers. But it's highly unlikely that
    new groups within the microsoft.* hierarchy will ever get created.

    --
    Steve Foster
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
    Steve Foster, Jul 6, 2010

    wrote:
    > thats a web site
    >
    > if you need support newsgroups are essential
    > websites are just not acceptable for professional support
    >
    > web sites are for marketing brochures and amateurs that
    > want to learn how to use a keyboard.
    >
    > if microsoft are not going to provide professional
    > support it seems my business has another reason
    > to look at linux.

    If you are counting the lack of a peer-to-peer support newsgroup as 'another
    reason to look at linux' - more power to you. ;-)

    Microsoft recently publically announced they were ending their news
    server/newsgroups.

    The MS Newsgroups have always been peer-to-peer (not 'professional support'
    in terms of anyone getting paid or compensated) support - with only the
    occasional MS employee showing up (usually on their own and not actually
    representing Microsoft.)

    Being newsgroups (and you should know this) - just because the Microsoft
    news server goes away does not mean the death of any particular group as
    long as some other news server carries that group who had been synching its
    content. Now that newsgroup just has to be gotten to through another news
    server.

    I associate newsgroups with a lot of things - mostly because I have been
    around long enough - but not in the manner you have presented. They are no
    more and no less a source of proper and accurate assistance/information
    _AND_ no more and no less an outlet for childish attempts to get attention
    than any other medium that has universal access for all people.

    Your opinion may be otherwise - but I am afraid that at some point you will
    find that time marched past you and web forums are more the norm (like it or
    not - and believe me - I do not relish the usage of web forums) and less and
    less people even know what a newsgroup is (in terms of a computer based
    forum.)

    Not to mention - if you need assistance with Windows 7 for your business and
    your source (or at least a major one based off your last sentence) for
    'professional support' is the newsgroups - you may have made a career
    mistake some time in the past or not properly kept up with things anyway.
    ;-)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    Shenan Stanley, Jul 6, 2010

    Steve Foster wrote:
    > I don't think Microsoft ever created any Windows 7 specific groups.
    >
    > And they are now in the process of abandoning NNTP and closing down
    > their operation of the microsoft.* hierarchy. I expect
    > msnews.microsoft.com to be gone by the end of the year (there were
    > in excess of 2000 groups listed prior to 1st June - that number is
    > now just over 200).
    >
    > However, NNTP being a peered protocol, many of the existing groups
    > will continue on other public NNTP servers. But it's highly
    > unlikely that new groups within the microsoft.* hierarchy will ever
    > get created.

    Easier just to repost something you may have missed if you were not a
    consistent user of the Microsoft News Server / Groups:

    "What is Happening?
    This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    Why?
    As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
    traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
    past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
    solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
    move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
    for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
    make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
    improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
    management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
    healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
    begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
    and discontinue support for newsgroups.

    In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
    users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
    newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
    which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
    forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
    functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
    NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

    Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
    All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
    October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
    starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
    active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

    Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?

    Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

    Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
    Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
    "

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    Shenan Stanley, Jul 6, 2010
  7. Keith Combs Guest

    Steve,

    There have been Windows 7 specific forums for months and months. See
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro

    Keith Combs
    Senior Program Manager - TechNet
    (425) 705-9217 office
    http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs

    Keith Combs, Jul 6, 2010
  8. Steve Foster Guest

    Keith Combs wrote:

    >There have been Windows 7 specific forums for months and months. See
    >http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro

    We know where the forums are - a previous respondent already that pointed
    out.

    But that doesn't actually answer the OP's question, which was "Where are
    the W7 *newsgroups*?" (my emphasis).

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------
    Steve Foster, Jul 6, 2010
  9. You can paint them whichever color you want but forums are not newsgroups!

    John

    John John - MVP, Jul 6, 2010
  10. XS11E Guest

    "Keith Combs" <> wrote:

    > Steve,
    >
    > There have been Windows 7 specific forums for months and months.

    Which are all totally useless. Forums, bah, humbug!

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Jul 6, 2010
  11. Keith Combs Guest

    Oops. My bad. I read forums not newgroups.

    Keith Combs, Jul 6, 2010
  12. Steve Foster wrote:
    > We know where the forums are - a previous respondent already that
    > pointed out.
    >
    > But that doesn't actually answer the OP's question, which was
    > "Where are the W7 *newsgroups*?" (my emphasis).

    Which was also answered before you responded.

[...]

    Need a more direct answer? A Microsoft Windows 7 *newsgroup* created/hosted
    by Microsoft is doubtful to ever happen given the statement above from
    Microsoft. If you have more questions - email the address given at the end
    of that statement.

    If you want a non-Microsoft hosted/affiliated newsgroup (not much
    difference) with the words "Windows 7" in the title in some form:

    Use a different server...
    http://aioe.org/

    To get this news group:
    alt.windows7.general

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    Shenan Stanley, Jul 6, 2010
  13. Steve Foster Guest

    Shenan Stanley wrote:

    > Steve Foster wrote:
    > > We know where the forums are - a previous respondent already that
    > > pointed out.
    > >
    > > But that doesn't actually answer the OP's question, which was
    > > "Where are the W7 newsgroups?" (my emphasis).

    > Which was also answered before you responded.

    Nope, Carlos had suggested the forums, I was first to post about the
    ending of Microsoft's NNTP support (your first response has a later
    timestamp than mine).

    Steve Foster, Jul 7, 2010
  14. <snipped>
    (Entire conversation linked to *in the response*.)

    Steve Foster wrote:
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Foster wrote:
    >>> We know where the forums are - a previous respondent already that
    >>> pointed out.
    >>>
    >>> But that doesn't actually answer the OP's question, which was
    >>> "Where are the W7 newsgroups?" (my emphasis).

    >> Which was also answered before you responded.
    >>

    > Nope, Carlos had suggested the forums, I was first to post about the
    > ending of Microsoft's NNTP support (your first response has a later
    > timestamp than mine).

    Possibly in this conversation you did respond first - but if so - it was by
    seconds. *grin*
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...it.general/browse_frm/thread/fa9e32881fd8f0a/
    (Archived.)

    Both yours and my first response was made at 6:50AM CST (11:50 UTC.)

    Now I did repeat the same thing in my second response - the one to you
    directy. However, my statement, "Which was also answered before you
    responded." was not a 'who was faster' thing - but a statement of overall
    fact. Microsoft reps posted what I did long before I copied/pasted and long
    before the question this conversation started with was ever asked in this
    very newsgroup and it has been extensively discussed and worried over (as to
    the future of this (64bit) forum in particular.) (And I added the latter
    part - about the free news server and Windows 7 newsgroup - in topic.)

    *shrug*

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP