When's a good time to make software expire?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Jan 2, 2011.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Let's see, how about 31 December 2010, when everyone is on holiday and
    there's nobody to fix it.
     
    Matty F, Jan 2, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Matty F

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 22:49:32 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > Let's see, how about 31 December 2010, when everyone is on holiday and
    > there's nobody to fix it.


    Why wasn't the license updated BEFORE it expired?

    Someone should be keeping track of these things.


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Sweetpea, Jan 2, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Matty F

    victor Guest

    On 2/01/2011 7:49 p.m., Matty F wrote:
    > Let's see, how about 31 December 2010, when everyone is on holiday and
    > there's nobody to fix it.


    Don't accept software that expires, there is always a better alternative.
     
    victor, Jan 2, 2011
    #3
  4. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    victor wrote:
    > On 2/01/2011 7:49 p.m., Matty F wrote:
    > > Let's see, how about 31 December 2010, when everyone is on holiday and
    > > there's nobody to fix it.

    >
    > Don't accept software that expires, there is always a better alternative.


    The software was free, and an upgrade is possible.
    Burt what is going on in the mind of some programmer? Oh let's make it
    expire on 31 December, probably the worst possible date in the year
    for software to expire.
     
    Matty F, Jan 2, 2011
    #4
  5. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 20:10:08 +1300, in message <ifp8g1$qjh$>
    victor wrote:

    > Don't accept software that expires,



    There are some people who cannot tell the difference between a beta
    and a release, unless the beta prominently announces "this beta will
    expire on ...".


    > there is always a better alternative.


    The previous released version. But if nobody ever tested beta software, then ...


    --
    Regards
    Ralph
     
    Ralph Fox, Jan 2, 2011
    #5
  6. Matty F

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 22:31:43 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > The previous released version. But if nobody ever tested beta software,
    > then ...


    Don't test beta grade software in production environments especially if
    it has to connect with production databases or has to operate in a public-
    facing environment. Use either a dedicated UAT environment or don't take
    such a bloody stupid risk!


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Sweetpea, Jan 2, 2011
    #6
  7. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 18:35:01 +0000 (UTC), in message <>
    Sweetpea wrote:

    > Don't test beta grade software in production environments especially if
    > it has to connect with production databases or has to operate in a public-
    > facing environment. Use either a dedicated UAT environment or don't take
    > such a bloody stupid risk!



    Shock horror! The public are beta-testing Firefox 4 and IE9 on the
    public-facing Internet at this very moment! They are accessing
    public-facing web sites which have production databases behind them!

    Your epistle is correct for some applications. There are other
    applications (such as web browsers) where a public beta is a
    perfectly valid way to go.


    --
    Regards
    Ralph
     
    Ralph Fox, Jan 2, 2011
    #7
  8. In message
    <>, Matty F
    wrote:

    > victor wrote:
    >
    >> On 2/01/2011 7:49 p.m., Matty F wrote:
    >>
    >>> Let's see, how about 31 December 2010, when everyone is on holiday and
    >>> there's nobody to fix it.

    >>
    >> Don't accept software that expires, there is always a better alternative.

    >
    > The software was free ...


    As in gratis, not libre.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 2, 2011
    #8
  9. Matty F

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 09:38:20 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > Your epistle is correct for some applications. There are other
    > applications (such as web browsers) where a public beta is a perfectly
    > valid way to go.


    Just don't install it onto a desktop box that contains application and
    data that you can't easily replace!


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Sweetpea, Jan 3, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Russell
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    687
    Russell
    Mar 21, 2005
  2. Amrita
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,498
    Jay Walters
    Jan 14, 2004
  3. Elamaran
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    882
    Anil Jaswal
    Jun 23, 2004
  4. developingweb
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    952
    Cindy Winegarden
    Oct 18, 2004
  5. Andy Foster

    Re: When Will MCP/MCSE 2000 Expire?

    Andy Foster, Aug 2, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,706
    Renegade
    Aug 2, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page