    someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be marketed/targeted to
    consumers for home use?

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?bWdlcmJlcmk=?=, Aug 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWdlcmJlcmk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    My guess - never. The odds favour that Vista will be the first 64-bit OS
    targeted at home users.

    John Barnes, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Actually, with most of the things home users do, Windows XP Pro x64 provides
    most of that basic functionality, such as E-mail, Internet Surfing, support
    for Microsoft Office/Word, Windows Movie Maker, listening to music (WMP 10).
    So yes, you can use as a home operating system if you want.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWdlcmJlcmk=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:48:37 -0700, "mgerberi"
    <> wrote:

    >Could someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be marketed/targeted to
    >consumers for home use?

    You have to wait for Vista 64

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 22, 2005
  5. XP x64 is not a retail box now because of things like the lack of drivers
    for many printers and other peripherals. You can imagine the problems if a
    user just picked up a copy at the store with the expectation that he could
    have the same peripherals run on it that ran on his XP system. I don't see
    retail availability (meaning targeted to consumers for home use) ever
    happening.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 22, 2005
  6. Well, if it comes bundled with the system, I don't see why it cannot be used
    as a home operating system.

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bWdlcmJlcmk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Because a lot of home software won't work, either because of driver problems
    or incompatibility because of 16-bit installer, etc. and because the
    desktop user usually has other peripherals that don't come with the bundled
    system and which don't have 64-bit drivers.

    John Barnes, Aug 22, 2005
  8. It does for those who research carefully to see if they are set up for it or
    take steps to get set up. But that isn't the OP's question, which is when
    will XPx64 "be marketed/targeted to consumers for home use?" I just don't
    see MS marketing XP x64 at consumer outlets. I'm sure they'd like to, but I
    agree with their decision.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 22, 2005
  9. Well, it was reported that Windows Vista will give the users the option at
    installation to choose either 32/64-bit, which means if the user purchased
    Windows Vista Home Edition, he/she would have the option of installing the
    32 bit or 64 bit edition of that operating system. I personally believe it
    should install according to its architecture.

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?bWdlcmJlcmk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Still causes the problem of installing the 64-bit version and having driver
    issues and software issues with home systems. At least then, hopefully
    windows will have a designation for the products (32 & 64 bit products) so
    software and hardware will tell the user beforehand that it is compatible
    with their version of Vista.
    Probably will be many years before alot of home user programs are rewritten
    to work on x64. One of my most used programs which overlays the clock with
    a popup scheduler has one useless feature left when installed on x64, it
    plays Westminster Chimes when clicked. It is nice to get a schedule of
    everything I have to do by hovering my cursor over the time area of the
    taskbar.

    John Barnes, Aug 22, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?bWdlcmJlcmk=?=

    zekolas Guest

    mgerberi wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am wanting to upgrade my Windows system, but I'd like to hold out until
    > the next Windows upgrade, since Windows XP has been out a while. Could
    > someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be marketed/targeted to
    > consumers for home use?

    Easy when Intel starts marketing their 64 bit chips. The world could be
    running on AMD64 with full windows support. However the Wintel alliance
    is so strong Microsoft has been dragging its feet until Intel can catch
    up to AMD. Once Intel plays catchup, Microsoft will start aggressively
    promoting 64 bit software.

    This will probably happen by the time windows Vista is out.

    zekolas, Aug 22, 2005
  12. > I don't see retail availability (meaning targeted to consumers for home
    > use) ever happening.

    "Ever" is such a strong word.

    We needed Windows 95 to transition the masses to 32-bit systems, even though
    NT 3.1 had been out since 1993 (or was it 1991...) It took a long time, but
    we eventually made it. Hell, 386 CPUs supported 32-bit instructions and
    those came out what, in the mid- to late 80's? It took *10 years* for
    software to be able to take advantage of it...how long have "mainstream"
    64-bit CPUs been out for?

    Homer J. Simpson, Aug 22, 2005
  13. I would hope that the Compatibility Wizard would help guide users to the
    best edition to install.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 22, 2005
  14. That's Vista. The OP is talking about XP Pro x64.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 22, 2005
  15. It's called XP Starter and there may be one in the Vista wave.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 22, 2005
  16. I think it is more that MS is hamstrung by the slowness of third party folks
    to come out with drivers for thier products.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 22, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?bWdlcmJlcmk=?=

    GregRo Guest

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:29:28 -0500, zekolas <>
    wrote:

    >mgerberi wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am wanting to upgrade my Windows system, but I'd like to hold out until
    >> the next Windows upgrade, since Windows XP has been out a while. Could
    >> someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be marketed/targeted to
    >> consumers for home use?

    >Easy when Intel starts marketing their 64 bit chips. The world could be
    >running on AMD64 with full windows support. However the Wintel alliance
    >is so strong Microsoft has been dragging its feet until Intel can catch
    >up to AMD. Once Intel plays catchup, Microsoft will start aggressively
    >promoting 64 bit software.
    >
    >This will probably happen by the time windows Vista is out.

    Home come you can not run 32 bit on a 64 bit computer?
    It sound like the Amd64 can do both. This solves the problems of
    drivers.

    Greg R

    GregRo, Aug 23, 2005
  18. You can use 32-bit device drivers on a 64-bit cpu but only when running a
    32-bit OS. It is when you run a 64-bit OS that you have to have 64-bit
    device drivers.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 23, 2005
  19. mgerberi wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am wanting to upgrade my Windows system, but I'd like to hold out until
    > the next Windows upgrade, since Windows XP has been out a while. Could
    > someone postulate when the Windows 64 bit system will be marketed/targeted to
    > consumers for home use?
    >
    > Thanks!

    It's been available as the pre-installed OS on OEM systems for some
    time, now.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/howtobuy/default.mspx

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 23, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?bWdlcmJlcmk=?=

    zekolas Guest

    > Home come you can not run 32 bit on a 64 bit computer?
    > It sound like the Amd64 can do both. This solves the problems of
    > drivers.

    The AMD64 processor can run both 32-bit and 64-bit compiled software.
    You can install the 32bit version of windowsXP on an athlon64 and it
    will run just fine with 32 bit drivers.
    However WindowsXP 64 cannot use 32 bit drivers, however it can run most
    32 bit programs.

    zekolas, Aug 23, 2005