    Basically, the PS3 is being delayed cos they can't decide on copy protection
    technology. If they can't decide today, will they ever decide? Sony really
    haven't learnt.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 15, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:38:38 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Sony having totally screwed up their walkman line and lost billions in due
    > process, (attributable to ridiculous copy protection schemes), it seems now
    > they are also intent on screwing up the playstation 3 product.
    >
    > Basically, the PS3 is being delayed cos they can't decide on copy protection
    > technology. If they can't decide today, will they ever decide? Sony really
    > haven't learnt.

    They're being stuck for a few million for their force feedback joysticks,
    too!!!

    Steve, Mar 15, 2006

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    Kent Smith Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Sony having totally screwed up their walkman line and lost billions in due
    > process, (attributable to ridiculous copy protection schemes), it seems
    > now they are also intent on screwing up the playstation 3 product.
    >
    > Basically, the PS3 is being delayed cos they can't decide on copy
    > protection technology. If they can't decide today, will they ever decide?
    > Sony really haven't learnt.

    It's due to blu-ray which is bleeding edge technology. Blu-ray has been
    trying to nail down copy protection from it's early conception so this has
    obviously always been a risk since Sony chose it for PS3. I don't even
    think there are any consumer players available yet primarily for this
    reason, only prototypes for demos - mind you, I haven't looked for a while.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Mar 15, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    Craig Shore Guest

    wrote:

    >Sony having totally screwed up their walkman line and lost billions in due
    >process, (attributable to ridiculous copy protection schemes), it seems now
    >they are also intent on screwing up the playstation 3 product.

    Their mp3 players look nice, but that was the exact reason I didn't buy one
    earlier this year. All the DRM bullshit and the having to use their software
    and formats.

    When will they learn?

    Craig Shore, Mar 16, 2006
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:38:38 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Sony having totally screwed up their walkman line and lost billions in due
    >>process, (attributable to ridiculous copy protection schemes), it seems now
    >>they are also intent on screwing up the playstation 3 product.

    > Their mp3 players look nice, but that was the exact reason I didn't buy one
    > earlier this year. All the DRM bullshit and the having to use their software
    > and formats.
    >
    > When will they learn?

    When consumers vote with their pockets and buy elsewhere, we are not
    there yet. The undercurrent has been there for a while with people only
    buying de-regionalised DVD players.

    I think a backlash is building against the MPAA, RIAA, BSA and their
    cronies....its like at what point will the last straw break the camel's
    back....At present I suspect it is a while off because most people are
    not effected too much, say a year or two away....Vista could be quite a
    water shed but not until there are enough people on it to get p*ssed.
    ditto ps/3 and its ilk....once people get caught I dont think it will
    happen twice they will move one and never go back....

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 16, 2006
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Damos Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:38:22 +1300, y
    <> wrote:

    > When consumers vote with their pockets and buy elsewhere, we are not
    > there yet. The undercurrent has been there for a while with people only
    > buying de-regionalised DVD players.
    >
    > I think a backlash is building against the MPAA, RIAA, BSA and their
    > cronies....its like at what point will the last straw break the camel's
    > back....At present I suspect it is a while off because most people are
    > not effected too much, say a year or two away....Vista could be quite a
    > water shed but not until there are enough people on it to get p*ssed.
    > ditto ps/3 and its ilk....once people get caught I dont think it will
    > happen twice they will move one and never go back....

    Last week I googled region protection of HD dvd vrs blu ray players.

    Seems HD DVD is contemplating not introducing region coding while blu ray
    is keen on "reintroducing"
    them.....only three regions one being usa and japan, two being europe and
    africa and three being "others".

    With one decision sony et al have lost my custom.

    I own a hacked dvd player for a reason, I _buy_ regularly from US and
    Europe. I dont care how much better the resolution
    will be with their players, if I cant buy and play overseas dvd's I wont
    buy a blu ray product. Something that most consumers in an era of online
    DVD sales will agree with me on.

    Since millions of ppl have standard hacked dvd's I'm sure that standard
    DVDs will remain for quite a while.
    And if only blu ray protected dvd's are produced...I'll be hot footing it
    down to DSE or parallele imports for some dogy machine from china and not
    the bright lights of Sony show shops or harvey normal's.....

    Damos

    ps

    Was asking sony nz helpdesk about region codes and they confirmed a return
    to the bad days of region locking.....then I got an email saying they were
    "reconsidering".

    If the codes are reintroduced I forcast the end of sony.

    Damos, Mar 16, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Damos" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:38:22 +1300, y
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> When consumers vote with their pockets and buy elsewhere, we are not
    >> there yet. The undercurrent has been there for a while with people only
    >> buying de-regionalised DVD players.
    >>
    >> I think a backlash is building against the MPAA, RIAA, BSA and their
    >> cronies....its like at what point will the last straw break the camel's
    >> back....At present I suspect it is a while off because most people are
    >> not effected too much, say a year or two away....Vista could be quite a
    >> water shed but not until there are enough people on it to get p*ssed.
    >> ditto ps/3 and its ilk....once people get caught I dont think it will
    >> happen twice they will move one and never go back....

    > Last week I googled region protection of HD dvd vrs blu ray players.
    >
    > Seems HD DVD is contemplating not introducing region coding while blu ray
    > is keen on "reintroducing"
    > them.....only three regions one being usa and japan, two being europe and
    > africa and three being "others".

    The thing that annoys me about region coding is the only reason I have ever
    heard for it's purpose is "so that you can't watch the movie in the region
    where it is still at the theatres". Fair enough for new releases but I'm
    bemused why they region encode back catalogue releases. Yes there are
    different TV standards but if your TV can't handle NTSC you're not going to
    be able to play it anyway so why not just let NTSC play in region 4 anyway?

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Mar 16, 2006
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    Barry Lennox Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Sony having totally screwed up their walkman line and lost billions in due
    >process, (attributable to ridiculous copy protection schemes), it seems now
    >they are also intent on screwing up the playstation 3 product.
    >
    >Basically, the PS3 is being delayed cos they can't decide on copy protection
    >technology. If they can't decide today, will they ever decide? Sony really
    >haven't learnt.
    >
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4807858.stm

    Sony will NEVER learn anything. IMO, they are hidebound idiots, and
    one of the biggest is the idjit that runs Sony NZ: M Gladding. He is
    the clown that sells (and advertises) their range of products designed
    to copy and format-shift music, yet he has the ballfaced arrogance and
    hypocrisy to be a part of the RINAZ pushing their campaign line of
    "copying and format shifting is illegal" and strenously argued against
    a proposed law change that would allow it; and, hence bring us into
    line with many other countries, And, he has proven himself to be a
    coward, as he absolutely refuses to reply to any emails on the topic.
    The RIANZ are the same of course, they refuse to enter into any
    discussions on it.

    The above are my opinions, but I would welcome PROOF to the contrary,
    esp from Sony or the RIANZ.

    Barry Lennox, Mar 16, 2006
  9. "Barry Lennox" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:38:38 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Sony having totally screwed up their walkman line and lost billions in due
    >>process, (attributable to ridiculous copy protection schemes), it seems
    >>now
    >>they are also intent on screwing up the playstation 3 product.
    >>
    >>Basically, the PS3 is being delayed cos they can't decide on copy
    >>protection
    >>technology. If they can't decide today, will they ever decide? Sony
    >>really
    >>haven't learnt.
    >>
    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4807858.stm
    >>

    > Sony will NEVER learn anything. IMO, they are hidebound idiots, and
    > one of the biggest is the idjit that runs Sony NZ: M Gladding. He is
    > the clown that sells (and advertises) their range of products designed
    > to copy and format-shift music, yet he has the ballfaced arrogance and
    > hypocrisy to be a part of the RINAZ pushing their campaign line of
    > "copying and format shifting is illegal" and strenously argued against
    > a proposed law change that would allow it; and, hence bring us into
    > line with many other countries, And, he has proven himself to be a
    > coward, as he absolutely refuses to reply to any emails on the topic.
    > The RIANZ are the same of course, they refuse to enter into any
    > discussions on it.
    >
    > The above are my opinions, but I would welcome PROOF to the contrary,
    > esp from Sony or the RIANZ.

    to be fair to him - he is just a robot following the coding given to him by
    his foreign masters.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 17, 2006
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mutley Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote:

    >"Damos" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:38:22 +1300, y
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When consumers vote with their pockets and buy elsewhere, we are not
    >>> there yet. The undercurrent has been there for a while with people only
    >>> buying de-regionalised DVD players.
    >>>
    >>> I think a backlash is building against the MPAA, RIAA, BSA and their
    >>> cronies....its like at what point will the last straw break the camel's
    >>> back....At present I suspect it is a while off because most people are
    >>> not effected too much, say a year or two away....Vista could be quite a
    >>> water shed but not until there are enough people on it to get p*ssed.
    >>> ditto ps/3 and its ilk....once people get caught I dont think it will
    >>> happen twice they will move one and never go back....

    >> Last week I googled region protection of HD dvd vrs blu ray players.
    >>
    >> Seems HD DVD is contemplating not introducing region coding while blu ray
    >> is keen on "reintroducing"
    >> them.....only three regions one being usa and japan, two being europe and
    >> africa and three being "others".
    >>

    >The thing that annoys me about region coding is the only reason I have ever
    >heard for it's purpose is "so that you can't watch the movie in the region
    >where it is still at the theatres". Fair enough for new releases but I'm
    >bemused why they region encode back catalogue releases. Yes there are
    >different TV standards but if your TV can't handle NTSC you're not going to
    >be able to play it anyway so why not just let NTSC play in region 4 anyway?
    >

    >-KENT

    Did you know that region that NZ is in also has Mexico. NZ is PAL ,
    Mexico is NTSC.

    Mutley, Mar 17, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:38:09 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> wrote:

    snip

    >> Sony will NEVER learn anything. IMO, they are hidebound idiots, and
    >> one of the biggest is the idjit that runs Sony NZ: M Gladding. He is
    >> the clown that sells (and advertises) their range of products designed
    >> to copy and format-shift music, yet he has the ballfaced arrogance and
    >> hypocrisy to be a part of the RINAZ pushing their campaign line of
    >> "copying and format shifting is illegal" and strenously argued against
    >> a proposed law change that would allow it; and, hence bring us into
    >> line with many other countries, And, he has proven himself to be a
    >> coward, as he absolutely refuses to reply to any emails on the topic.
    >> The RIANZ are the same of course, they refuse to enter into any
    >> discussions on it.
    >>
    >> The above are my opinions, but I would welcome PROOF to the contrary,
    >> esp from Sony or the RIANZ.

    >to be fair to him - he is just a robot following the coding given to him by
    >his foreign masters.

    1. I see zero need to be fair to him, if he dislikes the heat, he has
    the option of becoming a street sweeper or another useful occupation..

    2. It is an NZ legislative issue. To be decided by the citizens here,
    his foreign masters can go and **** themselves. And if he had the
    courage to give me the email addresses of whom he answers to overseas,
    I would tell them that.

    The Sony rootkit thing seems to sum them up, and what they should be
    doing to themselves.

    Barry Lennox, Mar 17, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > "Kent Smith" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Damos" <> wrote in message

    >>> Last week I googled region protection of HD dvd vrs blu ray players.
    >>>
    >>> Seems HD DVD is contemplating not introducing region coding while blu
    >>> ray
    >>> is keen on "reintroducing"
    >>> them.....only three regions one being usa and japan, two being europe
    >>> and
    >>> africa and three being "others".
    >>>

    >>The thing that annoys me about region coding is the only reason I have
    >>ever
    >>heard for it's purpose is "so that you can't watch the movie in the region
    >>where it is still at the theatres". Fair enough for new releases but I'm
    >>bemused why they region encode back catalogue releases. Yes there are
    >>different TV standards but if your TV can't handle NTSC you're not going
    >>be able to play it anyway so why not just let NTSC play in region 4
    >>anyway?
    >>

    > Did you know that region that NZ is in also has Mexico. NZ is PAL ,
    > Mexico is NTSC.

    Ahh, leaned something today. Thanks. :)

    Even less arguments for region coding now then. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Mar 19, 2006