    The Canon 10D has three different metering modes. Under which circumstances
    would you choose to use one over the other?

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jun 25, 2004

  2. "Jimmy Smith" <> writes:

    > The Canon 10D has three different metering modes. Under which circumstances
    > would you choose to use one over the other?

    Assuming they're the same three as my Nikon N90 and my Fuji S2
    (matrix, center-weighted, spot)...

    Generally I use matrix when I'm using auto-exposure. I can conceive
    of a situation where center-weighted might work better and for some
    reason I wouldn't want to use manual exposure, maybe, but I don't
    recall ever doing it.

    Generally I use center-weighted for available-light work indoors.
    Probably because that's what I'm used to using, going back to my first
    SLR.

    Arguably, for that and all other manual exposure situations I *should*
    use spot metering -- the spot lets me measure bright and dark and
    various key points, figure out what the range is, and it either fits
    into the range of the film/sensor, or else I have to decide what to
    cut off.

    In practice, what I mostly really do is either shoot automatic with
    matrix, or else set manual, pick an exposure by eye, and home in on
    the target with test shots (examing their histograms).

    In most real-world situations I shoot in, I find I'm more afraid of
    the automation doing something unexpected and my not noticing than I
    am of the light changing significantly and my not noticing; so locking
    the exposure down in manual makes me feel safer.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 25, 2004