    that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
    and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

    , Jul 16, 2003

  2. Don Coon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My camera will go to 22 but I am not sure when one would want to use
    > that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
    > and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

    When you have enough light to allow a fast enough shutter speed and you want
    a deep depth-of-field.

    Don Coon, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Jim Townsend Guest

    wrote:

    > My camera will go to 22 but I am not sure when one would want to use
    > that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
    > and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

    Hmmm.. Have you tried actually setting your camera to f22 and taking a picture
    to actually SEE what it does ???

    You can use f22:

    If there is so much light your max shutter speed isn't fast enough to prevent
    overexposure.

    If you want the shutter open for a longer time in bright light.. Say to blur a
    waterfall.

    If I want a large depth of field... (Everything up close and far away is in
    focus).

    If you want some distortion from light diffusion through the teeny weenie
    opening.

    What camera DO you have that stops down to f22 ?.. Apart from SLR's, (where
    aperture adjustments occur in the lens), few digicams go much past f11.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:13:32 -0500, Jim Townsend <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> My camera will go to 22 but I am not sure when one would want to use
    >> that small an aperture. It seems like most people range between 2.8
    >> and 8.0. When would you use a 22, 16 or another high number?

    >Hmmm.. Have you tried actually setting your camera to f22 and taking a picture
    >to actually SEE what it does ???
    >
    >You can use f22:
    >
    >If there is so much light your max shutter speed isn't fast enough to prevent
    >overexposure.
    >
    >If you want the shutter open for a longer time in bright light.. Say to blur a
    >waterfall.
    >
    >If I want a large depth of field... (Everything up close and far away is in
    >focus).
    >
    >If you want some distortion from light diffusion through the teeny weenie
    >opening.
    >

    >What camera DO you have that stops down to f22 ?.. Apart from SLR's, (where
    >aperture adjustments occur in the lens), few digicams go much past f11.

    10D, but I don't have to go to f22 to get good DOF.

    , Jul 16, 2003
  5. Jim Townsend Guest

    wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:13:32 -0500, Jim Townsend <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>What camera DO you have that stops down to f22 ?.. Apart from SLR's, (where
    >>aperture adjustments occur in the lens), few digicams go much past f11.
    >>

    > 10D, but I don't have to go to f22 to get good DOF.

    Obviously you haven't done much closeup/macro photography. You've gotta
    struggle for every millimiter of DOF then. Especially at longer focal lengths.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:50:49 -0500, Jim Townsend <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:13:32 -0500, Jim Townsend <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>What camera DO you have that stops down to f22 ?.. Apart from SLR's, (where
    >>>aperture adjustments occur in the lens), few digicams go much past f11.
    >>>

    >> 10D, but I don't have to go to f22 to get good DOF.

    >Obviously you haven't done much closeup/macro photography. You've gotta
    >struggle for every millimiter of DOF then. Especially at longer focal lengths.

    No, not much

    , Jul 16, 2003
  7. Kenwood Guest

    Here's a link to a depth of field calculator. Not only does the F stop
    determine DOF, so does the focal length.

    http://www.shuttercity.com/DOF.cfm

    Kenwood, Jul 16, 2003
  8. Winston Guest

    Don Stauffer <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > But you would get an even greater DOF if you do.
    >
    > wrote:
    > >

    > > 10D, but I don't have to go to f22 to get good DOF.

    If you have a point and shoot digicam, in 99% of your photos, you
    won't notice a difference between f2.8 & f22. It appears that
    "everything" is in focus whether you want it or not. You would need a
    digicam with interchangeable lenses to reduce your DOF.

    Winston, Jul 16, 2003