    that I have to scroll through.
    And why do people that abuse top posters leave so much of the original
    in that I have to scroll through text that is abouit three pages long.

    Gerry, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Gerry wrote:
    > And why do people that abuse top posters leave so much of the original
    > in that I have to scroll through text that is abouit three pages long.

    no idea about your first couple of points, but personally I try to snip
    all but the info needed to keep what I post, relevant to what was
    said... so that if for some reason the original post doesnt make it to
    someones server, mine still makes sense.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Gerry

    steve Guest

    Gerry wrote:
    > And why do people that abuse top posters leave so much of the original
    > in that I have to scroll through text that is abouit three pages long.

    Because.........

    steve, Mar 12, 2005
  4. Gerry

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:48:05 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Gerry wrote:
    >> And why do people that abuse top posters leave so much of the original
    >> in that I have to scroll through text that is abouit three pages long.

    > Because.........

    Because it shows how idiotically stupid the top posters actually are, to
    have left so much irrelevant stuff quoted in their posts.

    Bling-bling

    --
    Microsoft repeatedly suggests that its own internal schedules reflect the
    "truth" of the preemptive announcements its executives were making. Internal

    Bling-Bling, Mar 12, 2005
  5. On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:59:09 +1300, Gerry wrote:

    > I use agent and click the middle mouse button to go to the next
    > message in a thread.
    > When the thread turns to shit how do i kill it and go to the next one.
    > And how can i get rid of the (unsnipped) that bottom posters leavein
    > that I have to scroll through.
    > And why do people that abuse top posters leave so much of the original
    > in that I have to scroll through text that is abouit three pages long.

    Top posters are just so plain wrong. I mean would you read a book where
    the last chapter appears at the front of the book?

    As you scroll through the post you are meant o have a quick read to make
    sure that your reply makes sense ;-)

    wogers nemesis, Mar 12, 2005
  6. In article <1v8cdo7h486pi$.e4o79xkvvnl1$>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:59:09 +1300, Gerry wrote:
    >
    > > I use agent and click the middle mouse button to go to the next
    > > message in a thread.
    > > When the thread turns to shit how do i kill it and go to the next one.
    > > And how can i get rid of the (unsnipped) that bottom posters leavein
    > > that I have to scroll through.
    > > And why do people that abuse top posters leave so much of the original
    > > in that I have to scroll through text that is abouit three pages long.

    > Top posters are just so plain wrong. I mean would you read a book where
    > the last chapter appears at the front of the book?
    >
    > As you scroll through the post you are meant o have a quick read to make
    > sure that your reply makes sense ;-)

    The OP has half a point, though: one thing that is about as bad as top
    posters are those idiots who quote three pages of text and tack on one
    line of their own that relates to virtually nothing quoted.
    Worst are the ones who tack on "Me, too". <g>

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 12, 2005
  7. Gerry

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:46:54 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Worst are the ones who tack on "Me, too". <g>

    I'm waiting for the obvious result of you saying that....

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Men and women, women and men. It will never work." -- Erica Jong

    Note: All my comments are copyright 13/03/2005 12:40:57 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Mar 12, 2005
  8. Gerry

    Impossible Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:59:09 +1300, Gerry wrote:
    >
    >> I use agent and click the middle mouse button to go to the next
    >> message in a thread.
    >> When the thread turns to shit how do i kill it and go to the next
    >> one.
    >> And how can i get rid of the (unsnipped) that bottom posters
    >> leavein
    >> that I have to scroll through.
    >> And why do people that abuse top posters leave so much of the
    >> original
    >> in that I have to scroll through text that is abouit three pages
    >> long.

    > Top posters are just so plain wrong. I mean would you read a book
    > where
    > the last chapter appears at the front of the book?

    If I'd already read the previous chapters? Heck, yeah!

    > As you scroll through the post you are meant o have a quick read to
    > make
    > sure that your reply makes sense ;-)

    Wouldn't THAT be something! :)

    In-line comments are usually best, but there's no point making a
    fetish of this. There are times when a top-posted message makes
    perfect sense, is not in the least confusing, and is only a problem
    for those with a bug up their arse.

    Users who are actually interested in following the trail of a
    discussion, as opposed to just dropping in when it suits them, should
    set their newsreaders to group posts by thread in chronological order.
    That way, there will be little difficulty in putting any message in
    context -- no matter where it's posted.

    Impossible, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Gerry

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    Just grin and bear it, Gerry. Netiquitte rules were abandoned years ago.
    Threads go bad when ppl get trapped in their feelings, loose their
    objectivity, jump to conclusions, impose their values on others and
    otherwise demonstrate poor manners and a shoddy upbringing. So-called top
    posters have as much right to be here as anyone else and are as prone to
    being mistaken as the ppl who criticise and abuse are. When you read
    between the lines you get to understrand the nature of the ppl posting,
    even the anonymous ones.

    I think the key to getting along in the NG's is to have a thick skin. You do
    not have to reply to ppl that are abusive, the choice is yours, you can
    choose to ignore them and move on.

    2c
    Peter

    Peter Lowrie, Mar 12, 2005
  10. Brendan wrote:
    >>Worst are the ones who tack on "Me, too". <g>

    > I'm waiting for the obvious result of you saying that....

    yeah, me too :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 12, 2005
  11. Impossible wrote:
    >>Top posters are just so plain wrong. I mean would you read a book
    >>where
    >>the last chapter appears at the front of the book?

    > If I'd already read the previous chapters? Heck, yeah!

    but thats the point, not all of us read all posts, some jump into a
    thread, and can't be bothered reading the previous 200 posts, and just
    want a quick synopsis of the whole thing, ie, the above.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 12, 2005
  12. Gerry

    Axle Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Impossible wrote:
    >
    >>> Top posters are just so plain wrong. I mean would you read a book where
    >>> the last chapter appears at the front of the book?

    >> If I'd already read the previous chapters? Heck, yeah!

    > but thats the point, not all of us read all posts, some jump into a
    > thread, and can't be bothered reading the previous 200 posts, and just
    > want a quick synopsis of the whole thing, ie, the above.

    Boring

    1st hijack attempt

    Is this right ?
    according to the herald

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10114927

    The Law

    * It is a crime to copy a recording, offer it for sale or hire, import
    or distribute it.
    * There is no offence in possessing a pirated copy for private and
    domestic use.
    *In civil law, possessing a pirated copy for personal use is not an
    infringement, but it would be a breach to distribute copies by selling
    them or even handing them to friends.

    Axle, Mar 12, 2005
  13. Gerry

    Impossible Guest

    > Impossible wrote:
    >>>Top posters are just so plain wrong. I mean would you read a book
    >>>where
    >>>the last chapter appears at the front of the book?

    >> If I'd already read the previous chapters? Heck, yeah!

    > but thats the point, not all of us read all posts, some jump into a
    > thread, and can't be bothered reading the previous 200 posts, and
    > just want a quick synopsis of the whole thing, ie, the above.

    I guarantee you, you will never find that particular service
    recommended in any netiquette guide. If you need a synopsis, hire a
    secretary, for heaven's sake! Otherwise,all you should ever expect to
    see quoted in anyone's post is enough of any previous message to make
    the context clear. That could very well end up being a single
    sentence -- the briefer the better.

    Yes, this will mean that those who are in the habit of tracking
    messages out of thread-context will have to do a little bit of work if
    they decide to jump into a conversation midway. But as a matter of
    plain courtesy, so they should.

    Impossible, Mar 12, 2005
  14. Gerry

    Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:01:29 +1300, Axle <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> If I'd already read the previous chapters? Heck, yeah!

    >> but thats the point, not all of us read all posts, some jump into a
    >> thread, and can't be bothered reading the previous 200 posts, and just
    >> want a quick synopsis of the whole thing, ie, the above.

    >Boring
    >
    >1st hijack attempt
    >

    >Is this right ?
    >according to the herald
    >
    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10114927
    >
    >The Law
    >
    >* It is a crime to copy a recording, offer it for sale or hire, import
    >or distribute it.

    Only if you don't have copyright.

    >* There is no offence in possessing a pirated copy for private and
    >domestic use.
    >*In civil law, possessing a pirated copy for personal use is not an
    >infringement, but it would be a breach to distribute copies by selling
    >them or even handing them to friends.

    This is the law here as I recall.

    , Mar 13, 2005
  15. Gerry

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:37:48 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >>>Worst are the ones who tack on "Me, too". <g>

    >> I'm waiting for the obvious result of you saying that....

    > yeah, me too :)

    lol

    "me three"

    ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    MONARCHICAL GOVERNMENT, n. Government. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 13/03/2005 3:22:06 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Mar 13, 2005