    Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...

    Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
    this millennia :)
    Gary MCSE, Jun 28, 2005

  2. "Gary MCSE" <> wrote in message
    news:%237F%...
    > (Hey, somebody wake up the old guy in the corner burning those cd's).
    >
    > Once we do our clean install and register/activate what will happen to the
    > 32 bit system...assuming it is an actively running OS.
    > Will it just blow up, stop booting or some sort of New and Improved
    > "BSOD".
    >
    > How will those in power find the OS? By CD-Key?
    >
    > Suppose I acquired another OEM copy of XP Pro, could I just change the
    > CD-Key or would I have to do another clean install?
    >
    > Just thinking ahead, trying to be proactive...
    >
    > Again, being an optomist, I am assuming the TAP will be shipped some time
    > this millennia :)

    The TAP is a swap out of license program.
    When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
    unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase another
    Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD Key on that
    system so it is using the correct new one)
    We will deactivate the swapped out key and you will not be able to activate,
    you may also fail other product checks for access to services or downloads
    etc too; as your product will no longer be licensed until you purchase a new
    license and change the key.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 28, 2005

  3. Gary MCSE

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Not exactly fair to deactivate the 32bit license before shipping the 64bit
    license, much less before the shipping charges go through, is it. That's not
    very "customer friendly".

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <>

    Intel_Fan, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Gary MCSE

    John Barnes Guest

    He said when you INSTALL x64, not when you order it.

    John Barnes, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Gary MCSE

    Rick Guest

    Where do see anything that says it is deactivated before shipping the 64bit?

    "When you install your new x64 system your 32-bit system is now using an
    unlicensed product. You must cease using it immediately or purchase
    another Windows XP 32-bit license to cover it (and yes swap out the CD
    Key on that system so it is using the correct new one)"

    I only see "When you install..." To me you would have had to have
    received the CD in order to install the 64bit OS. So, that would be
    AFTER the item has shipped!

    Rick, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Gary MCSE

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Ok, it appears that I misunderstood.

    Intel_Fan, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Gary MCSE

    Gary MCSE Guest

    Hey thanks Mike, that makes sense.
    I was afraid that it would just go "Poof" once I activated the new software.
    But to be clear, you think that I could just enter a new cd-key to the x86
    version and not have to reinstall...that would save lots o' headaches.
    Would a retail cd-key work over an OEM install...I don't think so but I want
    your expert opinion.

    Regards,
    Gary

    Gary MCSE, Jun 28, 2005
  8. "Gary MCSE" <> wrote in message
    > Hey thanks Mike, that makes sense.
    > I was afraid that it would just go "Poof" once I activated the new
    > software.
    > But to be clear, you think that I could just enter a new cd-key to the x86
    > version and not have to reinstall...that would save lots o' headaches.
    > Would a retail cd-key work over an OEM install...I don't think so but I
    > want your expert opinion.

    There are a number of ways to "rekey" a Windows XP install.
    I am not at liberty to advise you to do them as I am not sure of our
    positioning this with regard to OEM products - but I'm sure the helpful
    souls in this group will advise you.
    Basically the easiest way is to some how retrigger the activation wizard you
    can then enter an alternative key.

    You CANNOT use a retail key with an OEM product, it must the the right key
    group for the product type.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 28, 2005
  9. Gary MCSE

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 28-Jun-2005, "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <>
    wrote:

    > There are a number of ways to "rekey" a Windows XP install.
    > I am not at liberty to advise you to do them as I am not sure of our
    > positioning this with regard to OEM products - but I'm sure the helpful
    > souls in this group will advise you.
    > Basically the easiest way is to some how retrigger the activation wizard
    > you
    > can then enter an alternative key.

    OK. Mike can't tell us how to do this but does anyone know how?

    I have a retail version of 32 bot XP Pro installed on my PC and have other,
    not used, retail versions of XP-Pro I've purchased. How can I transfer the
    CD key/license from the not used version to my currently installed one?
    Sam Crawford, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Gary MCSE

    Aldo Bleeker Guest

    I'd recommend a clean install, as it's an opportunity to clean up an old
    install, but I can see why people can't, or won't go this route...

    That said, the procedure to do this widely known. I've taken a random
    site that looked like it knew what it's doing:

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/articles/changeID.htm

    There are lots more.

    Aldo Bleeker

    Aldo Bleeker, Jun 28, 2005