When should you have both onboard sound and soundcard enabled?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Friend (not overly technical) down sth has Pentium 800 machine, mobo
    Jetway 994AN-L with VIA 82C694X chipset (KT133A). Onboard sound is
    CMI 8738/PCI (CMedia). Wants to use DSE Model XH7847 soundcard that
    happens to have the same chipset (though I would think it is more
    fully implemented). Win XP.

    Hadn't been able to get sound, but I figured out it was the way you
    are supposed to install the driver, so we got it to work, but he said
    onboard sound was enabled, though sound was coming from the card. I
    said onboard sound should be disabled. Now he says:

    "Tried to disable the mobo chip and couldn't get anything to work
    when I booted up again. Have reenabled chips and drives, swopped
    cards and drivers. I now get an error message "Cannot open
    waveform output device!" The windows media program brings up all
    the list of songs and the CD drives both start up and the program
    indicates that everythingis playing and the speakers crackle and
    thump when I switch them on. But nary a squeak of music. Am I gone
    tone deaf???"

    I guess it should work if he removed all sound devices in Device
    Manager, disabled onboard sound, booted up and ran the installation
    routine again. Shouldn't it? (Don't have XP myself).

    GraB, Oct 4, 2004

  2. GraB

    theseus Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Friend (not overly technical) down sth has Pentium 800 machine, mobo
    > Jetway 994AN-L with VIA 82C694X chipset (KT133A). Onboard sound is
    > CMI 8738/PCI (CMedia). Wants to use DSE Model XH7847 soundcard that
    > happens to have the same chipset (though I would think it is more
    > fully implemented). Win XP.
    >
    > Hadn't been able to get sound, but I figured out it was the way you
    > are supposed to install the driver, so we got it to work, but he said
    > onboard sound was enabled, though sound was coming from the card. I
    > said onboard sound should be disabled. Now he says:
    >
    > "Tried to disable the mobo chip and couldn't get anything to work
    > when I booted up again. Have reenabled chips and drives, swopped
    > cards and drivers. I now get an error message "Cannot open
    > waveform output device!" The windows media program brings up all
    > the list of songs and the CD drives both start up and the program
    > indicates that everythingis playing and the speakers crackle and
    > thump when I switch them on. But nary a squeak of music. Am I gone
    > tone deaf???"
    >
    > I guess it should work if he removed all sound devices in Device
    > Manager, disabled onboard sound, booted up and ran the installation
    > routine again. Shouldn't it? (Don't have XP myself).

    It might be under integrated peripherals or something like that in the bios
    There's no need to disable it though if they are both installed
    XP has no problem running 2 soundcards, you can set which one is the default
    in the "sounds and audio devices properties" audio tab

    theseus, Oct 4, 2004

  3. GraB

    richard Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > I guess it should work if he removed all sound devices in Device
    > Manager, disabled onboard sound, booted up and ran the installation
    > routine again. Shouldn't it? (Don't have XP myself).

    Shouldnt need to, windows handles multiple sound devices fine.

    You will get one of them have a yellow ! on the device for the legacy driver as
    only one can have it installed at a time.

    For a while I had 3 sound devices in a PC, worked sweet as, onboard soundcard
    had the headset plugged in for viop, one of the others I used to play stuff on
    and the other was there to record audio from the TV tuner card. No worries at all

    Onboard was the AC97 VIA chipset one, and one card was cmedia, and one was an
    old PCI soundblaster.

    I tried 2 cmedias, but there shocking program to set the number of speakers
    wouldnt work on one of the cards, there was no options to set which wave device
    it changed, and it defaulted to the active one, I wanted to change the second
    card to have a line in rather then a rear output, and it wouldnt let me.

    richard, Oct 5, 2004
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:18:40 +1300, "theseus" <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Friend (not overly technical) down sth has Pentium 800 machine, mobo
    >> Jetway 994AN-L with VIA 82C694X chipset (KT133A). Onboard sound is
    >> CMI 8738/PCI (CMedia). Wants to use DSE Model XH7847 soundcard that
    >> happens to have the same chipset (though I would think it is more
    >> fully implemented). Win XP.
    >>
    >> Hadn't been able to get sound, but I figured out it was the way you
    >> are supposed to install the driver, so we got it to work, but he said
    >> onboard sound was enabled, though sound was coming from the card. I
    >> said onboard sound should be disabled. Now he says:
    >>
    >> "Tried to disable the mobo chip and couldn't get anything to work
    >> when I booted up again. Have reenabled chips and drives, swopped
    >> cards and drivers. I now get an error message "Cannot open
    >> waveform output device!" The windows media program brings up all
    >> the list of songs and the CD drives both start up and the program
    >> indicates that everythingis playing and the speakers crackle and
    >> thump when I switch them on. But nary a squeak of music. Am I gone
    >> tone deaf???"
    >>
    >> I guess it should work if he removed all sound devices in Device
    >> Manager, disabled onboard sound, booted up and ran the installation
    >> routine again. Shouldn't it? (Don't have XP myself).

    >It might be under integrated peripherals or something like that in the bios

    It is done by jumper pin on this mobo. Waiting to hear how he got on.

    GraB, Oct 5, 2004