    I mean who the sco do they think they are? They have really scoed this up,
    and will probably find themselves in a scoing mess if they keep this up.

    http://www.nzoss.org/portal

    Cheetah, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Cheetah

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:06:14 +1300, Cheetah wrote:

    > This time the scoers are after Hollywood!

    Great - I look forward to the hollywood blockbuster taking the mick out of
    SCO. Will probably be along the lines of 'Wall Street' or similar, with
    the Darl McBride character going down on criminal charges at the end.

    Evil Bastard, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Cheetah

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Dilemna for Hollywood

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:06:14 +1300, Cheetah wrote:

    > movie studios using Linux render farms

    Puts Hollywood into an interesting position.

    On one hand, buying legislation via Fritz Hollings et al trying to force
    people to switch to hardware that effectively annihilates open source
    software and open standards.

    But on the other hand, saving megabucks from using OSS in their render
    farms.

    Kinda biting the hand that feeds them. Will be interesting to see which
    side of the fence they jump to.

    EB

    Evil Bastard, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Cheetah

    harry Guest

    Re: Dilemna for Hollywood

    "Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:06:14 +1300, Cheetah wrote:
    >
    > > movie studios using Linux render farms

    > Puts Hollywood into an interesting position.

    If there was such a monolithic entity, it still wouldn't mean any such
    thing.
    End users in movie production are no different to other Linux users who have
    not been affected by SCOs claims

    harry, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Cheetah

    harry Guest

    "Cheetah" <> wrote in message
    > Holy sco; they are at it again.
    >
    > This time the scoers are after Hollywood!
    >
    > Yeah thats right - not content with messing with the 800 pound gorilla of
    > the computer industry SCO thinks its a good idea to bang up movie studios
    > using Linux render farms for a scoing license.
    >
    > I mean who the sco do they think they are? They have really scoed this up,
    > and will probably find themselves in a scoing mess if they keep this up.
    >
    > http://www.nzoss.org/portal

    They are laughing their heads off in Miramar !
    Stupid Daniel Lyons and Darl McBride think that Weta Digital are in
    Hollywood !

    harry, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Cheetah

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Nov 9, 2003
  7. Cheetah

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > Cheetah wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.nzoss.org/portal

    > The requested URL /portal/portal was not found on this server.

    and now it works... NM.

    T.N.O., Nov 9, 2003
  8. Cheetah

    Cheetah Guest

    Re: Dilemna for Hollywood

    Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Puts Hollywood into an interesting position.

    They are not the only ones.

    For example, Sun were the ones who also fattened SCO's coffers in addition
    to Microsoft. Now if this were any other company (except perhaps IBM) they
    would be public enemy number #2 behind SCO by now. However Sun are
    supporting OpenOffice - a rather strategically important project - Java,
    which while not open source is cross platform, and giving Linux quite a bit
    of potential and credibility - and in New Zealand has done a great job of
    hosting the NZLUG. So what is Sun up to?

    Sony on the other hand have similar issues. On one hand their music hardware
    division developing mp3 players, and other audio technology, realise that
    users don't want DRM. Sony Music however want DRM to protect their IP. So
    there is a internal division within the company, much like I imagine is
    going on within Sun.

    Oracle is supporting Linux as well, but has recently stopped support for
    Compiere - a accounting system that will compete with Oracles own products.
    So although these companies are supporting specific projects, it does not
    nessasarily translate into wider acceptance of all of open source,
    primarily because each company has its own survival to worry about - and
    some OSS projects are not helpfull to them.

    Hollywood will take advantage of Linux as it should. It will also act for
    its own self interest. We will work with them in defending our rights to
    Linux, and against them if they seek to take our rights away with DRM.

    Cheetah, Nov 9, 2003
  9. Re: Dilemna for Hollywood

    In article <Ehkrb.5859$>, Cheetah <> wrote:
    >Evil Bastard wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >For example, Sun were the ones who also fattened SCO's coffers in addition
    >to Microsoft. Now if this were any other company (except perhaps IBM) they
    >would be public enemy number #2 behind SCO by now. However Sun are
    >supporting OpenOffice - a rather strategically important project - Java,
    >which while not open source is cross platform, and giving Linux quite a bit
    >of potential and credibility - and in New Zealand has done a great job of
    >hosting the NZLUG. So what is Sun up to?

    *SNIP*

    Sun purchased a licence from SCO for reasons that were actually legit.
    I can't recall them off-hand, but they do stand up to scrutiny.
    MS's "reason" doesn't, since their claim that they wanted to avoid any
    hassles about Services for Unix is destroyed by the simple fact that the
    vast majority of code in SFU is BSD-derived and the BSD code-base is
    totally immune to SCO's lunacy because of the AT&T case.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Nov 9, 2003
  10. Cheetah

    steve Guest

    Cheetah allegedly said:

    > Holy sco; they are at it again.
    >
    > This time the scoers are after Hollywood!
    >
    > Yeah thats right - not content with messing with the 800 pound gorilla of
    > the computer industry SCO thinks its a good idea to bang up movie studios
    > using Linux render farms for a scoing license.
    >
    > I mean who the sco do they think they are? They have really scoed this up,
    > and will probably find themselves in a scoing mess if they keep this up.
    >
    > http://www.nzoss.org/portal

    These guys are nothing but an extortion racket.
    They have never yet fronted up with any proof.....only threats.

    There should be a law against such bad-faith court action and posturing.

    If they have IP others have infringed - get it out into the open and make
    the case..........or piss off.

    steve, Nov 9, 2003
  11. Cheetah

    steve Guest

    steve, Nov 9, 2003
  12. On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:02:32 +1300, steve wrote:

    > There should be a law against such bad-faith court action and posturing.

    There are such laws in every country they're doing this.

    SCO has already been judged to be in contempt of german court orders.

    The whole action was posturing to force IBM to buy them. IBM refused and
    now SCO has upped the ante so far they can't back down. When this is
    finished, SCO will be a twitching carcass and the directors will be
    dealing with insider trading convictions. The SEC has taken a special
    interest in their buying up of cheap stock just before the actions were
    announced and selling on peaks 6 months ago.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 9, 2003
  13. In article <>, "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:02:32 +1300, steve wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >dealing with insider trading convictions. The SEC has taken a special
    >interest in their buying up of cheap stock just before the actions were
    >announced and selling on peaks 6 months ago.

    They're still selling. They've been dropping "small" (a few
    tens-of-thousands, out of allocations of several hundred thousand
    through to several million) parcels onto the market every few weeks in
    most cases.

    Matthew Poole, Nov 9, 2003
  14. Cheetah

    Peter KERR Guest

  15. Cheetah

    Fran Guest

    harry wrote:

    > They are laughing their heads off in Miramar !
    > Stupid Daniel Lyons and Darl McBride think that Weta Digital are in
    > Hollywood !

    Looks like Dan thinks "the techies at Imageworks simply load Linux onto
    hundreds of cheap Intel-based PCs to crank out dazzling effects for movies
    like Lord of the Rings, Seabiscuit and Spider-Man."

    LOTR?

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Nov 10, 2003