When not use use drivers offered by Windows Update.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, Jun 20, 2005.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    A couple of months back after doing a windows update for security issues
    I noticed a new VIA 4in1 driver update offered, so I took it. Big
    mistake....HUGE....win2k carried on and it was not until I went too play
    a game some weeks later that I realised all was not well....constant
    lock ups as the game started or c++ compile crashes or video smudging,
    no way would it play...

    Ho hum I thought.....I just spent 3 days fiddling with various nvidia
    drivers and game patches all no go. Then I noticed I had a mass storage
    controller and not a promise ata100, tried a driver update no go....used
    the newest via 4in1, in fact 3 different versions......no go...

    Finally figured out lets try the MSI web page and its via
    driver....grrrr finally I get video and the promise controller
    back.....so much for Windows update.

    Lessons, I should have known better, Matrox had a MS certified update
    via windows update and that broke the OS....

    So,

    Never me thinks use a driver off windows update and always use the
    motherboard manufacturers driver....generics are not good...

    doh.......

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 20, 2005

  2. thing

    Dave Taylor Guest

    thing <> wrote in news::

    > So,
    >
    > Never me thinks use a driver off windows update and always use the
    > motherboard manufacturers driver....generics are not good...
    >
    > doh.......

    I remember the Intel chipset fiasco they had... IDE drivers turned to
    exclamation points, at least my mother in-laws system still worked, just
    slower.
    MS makes keyboards, mice and Xboxes; I am sure they make other stuff too,
    but I get my drivers for the manufacturer of the device. You will find
    this is a common problem, winmodem drivers are a common one, and the worst
    part is that you can't dial back in to get the fix, bummer.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 20, 2005

  3. thing

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:09:54 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >A couple of months back after doing a windows update for security issues
    >I noticed a new VIA 4in1 driver update offered, so I took it. Big
    >mistake....HUGE....win2k carried on and it was not until I went too play
    >a game some weeks later that I realised all was not well....constant
    >lock ups as the game started or c++ compile crashes or video smudging,
    >no way would it play...
    >
    >Ho hum I thought.....I just spent 3 days fiddling with various nvidia
    >drivers and game patches all no go. Then I noticed I had a mass storage
    >controller and not a promise ata100, tried a driver update no go....used
    >the newest via 4in1, in fact 3 different versions......no go...
    >
    >Finally figured out lets try the MSI web page and its via
    >driver....grrrr finally I get video and the promise controller
    >back.....so much for Windows update.
    >
    >Lessons, I should have known better, Matrox had a MS certified update
    >via windows update and that broke the OS....
    >
    >So,
    >
    >Never me thinks use a driver off windows update and always use the
    >motherboard manufacturers driver....generics are not good...
    >
    >doh.......
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Its your fault that you dnload it, just dnload the critical ones, you are not
    forced to dnload Drivers etc..
    Tony, Jun 20, 2005
  4. thing

    Max Burke Guest

    > thing scribbled:

    > A couple of months back after doing a windows update for security
    > issues I noticed a new VIA 4in1 driver update offered, so I took it.
    > Big mistake....HUGE....win2k carried on and it was not until I went
    > too play a game some weeks later that I realised all was not
    > well....constant lock ups as the game started or c++ compile crashes
    > or video smudging, no way would it play...

    NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.

    They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general release.
    The fact that they're on the update site at all is often discussed in
    Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why are they there when
    they invariably F**k up any computer they're installed on.

    Always get drivers from the the original source.....

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jun 20, 2005
  5. thing

    XPD Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message news:...
    > A couple of months back after doing a windows update for security issues
    > I noticed a new VIA 4in1 driver update offered, so I took it. Big
    > mistake....HUGE....win2k carried on and it was not until I went too play
    > a game some weeks later that I realised all was not well....constant
    > lock ups as the game started or c++ compile crashes or video smudging,
    > no way would it play...

    As others have said, if MS dont make it, dont get the driver from the MS
    site :)
    I tried it once for a NIC and spent hours trying to undo the trouble it
    caused.....wouldve been faster to format and start again.
    XPD, Jun 20, 2005
  6. In article <>, "AD." <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:33:00 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.
    >>
    >> They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general release.
    >> The fact that they're on the update site at all is often discussed in
    >> Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why are they there
    >> when they invariably F**k up any computer they're installed on.
    >>
    >> Always get drivers from the the original source.....

    >Do you think MS should document that on the site?

    The real question seems to be ... why do they offer them if they know (or
    suspect) either that they are flawed or not the best solution ?
    Either way, this does not appear clever to me.

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 20, 2005
  7. thing

    thing2 Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> thing scribbled:

    >> A couple of months back after doing a windows update for security
    >> issues I noticed a new VIA 4in1 driver update offered, so I took it.
    >> Big mistake....HUGE....win2k carried on and it was not until I went
    >> too play a game some weeks later that I realised all was not
    >> well....constant lock ups as the game started or c++ compile crashes
    >> or video smudging, no way would it play...

    > NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.
    >
    > They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general release.
    > The fact that they're on the update site at all is often discussed in
    > Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why are they there
    > when they invariably F**k up any computer they're installed on.
    >
    > Always get drivers from the the original source.....

    Hence my post.....how many users who see a driver update and conclude
    its best to install get blown away.......

    Not good.....

    regards

    thing
    thing2, Jun 20, 2005
  8. thing

    thing2 Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:09:54 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>A couple of months back after doing a windows update for security issues
    >>I noticed a new VIA 4in1 driver update offered, so I took it. Big
    >>mistake....HUGE....win2k carried on and it was not until I went too play
    >>a game some weeks later that I realised all was not well....constant
    >>lock ups as the game started or c++ compile crashes or video smudging,
    >>no way would it play...
    >>
    >>Ho hum I thought.....I just spent 3 days fiddling with various nvidia
    >>drivers and game patches all no go. Then I noticed I had a mass storage
    >>controller and not a promise ata100, tried a driver update no go....used
    >>the newest via 4in1, in fact 3 different versions......no go...
    >>
    >>Finally figured out lets try the MSI web page and its via
    >>driver....grrrr finally I get video and the promise controller
    >>back.....so much for Windows update.
    >>
    >>Lessons, I should have known better, Matrox had a MS certified update
    >>via windows update and that broke the OS....
    >>
    >>So,
    >>
    >>Never me thinks use a driver off windows update and always use the
    >>motherboard manufacturers driver....generics are not good...
    >>
    >>doh.......
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > Its your fault that you dnload it, just dnload the critical ones, you are not
    > forced to dnload Drivers etc..

    You are a moron and as usual have posts of zero use.

    If you cannot fathom why I posted this....well....

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Jun 20, 2005
  9. thing

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:33:00 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    > NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.
    >
    > They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general release.
    > The fact that they're on the update site at all is often discussed in
    > Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why are they there
    > when they invariably F**k up any computer they're installed on.
    >
    > Always get drivers from the the original source.....

    Do you think MS should document that on the site?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 21, 2005
  10. thing

    Max Burke Guest

    > thing2 scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:
    >> NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.
    >> They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general
    >> release. The fact that they're on the update site at all is often
    >> discussed in Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why
    >> are they there when they invariably F**k up any computer they're
    >> installed on. Always get drivers from the the original source.....

    > Hence my post.....how many users who see a driver update and conclude
    > its best to install get blown away.......
    > Not good.....

    They included one as a critcal update once; They eventually removed it after
    the MS news group for windows update was swamped with hundreds of messages
    about the damage it caused to those that downloaded it; Even the MSMVP's
    were threatening 'revolt' at one stage in that saga...

    The message that was posted on that newsgroup (by an MS representitive)
    explaining/justifying it being a critcal update and why it was being removed
    from the critical update list wasn't really an apology; It was more like a
    'sour grapes' type post.

    I just tick the 'hide' box for these recomended hardware updates on WU so I
    never get to see them....

    Last time I did check it listed 3 hardware drivers that I should download
    and install; All three are out of date, and two of them I dont actually need
    for the graphics and audio hardware on my system...

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jun 21, 2005
  11. thing

    Max Burke Guest

    AD. scribbled:

    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:33:00 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.
    >>
    >> They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general
    >> release. The fact that they're on the update site at all is often
    >> discussed in Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why
    >> are they there when they invariably F**k up any computer they're
    >> installed on.
    >>
    >> Always get drivers from the the original source.....

    > Do you think MS should document that on the site?

    That question is often asked in the WU support news group.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jun 21, 2005
  12. In article <gIIte.8866$>,
    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, "AD."
    ><> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:33:00 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >>
    >>> NEVER, EVER download/install drivers from the Windows Update site.
    >>>
    >>> They usually way ou of date, and [apparently] are not for general release.
    >>> The fact that they're on the update site at all is often discussed in
    >>> Microsoft groups, with the subject most often being why are they there
    >>> when they invariably F**k up any computer they're installed on.
    >>>
    >>> Always get drivers from the the original source.....

    >>Do you think MS should document that on the site?

    >The real question seems to be ... why do they offer them if they know (or
    >suspect) either that they are flawed or not the best solution ?
    >Either way, this does not appear clever to me.

    I guess it's all about Freedom to Choose. It's like being free to own a
    gun: you can choose to point it at your foot and blow it away, or
    not--it's up to you. Think of Windows Update as the gun, and your PC as
    your foot.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2005
  13. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > thing <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>So,
    >>
    >>Never me thinks use a driver off windows update and always use the
    >>motherboard manufacturers driver....generics are not good...
    >>
    >>doh.......
    >>

    > I remember the Intel chipset fiasco they had... IDE drivers turned to
    > exclamation points, at least my mother in-laws system still worked, just
    > slower.
    > MS makes keyboards, mice and Xboxes; I am sure they make other stuff too,
    > but I get my drivers for the manufacturer of the device. You will find
    > this is a common problem, winmodem drivers are a common one, and the worst
    > part is that you can't dial back in to get the fix, bummer.

    It doesnt remove the old drivers, so changing them back is easy enough,
    but you still have to know how to do that.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 29, 2005