    "utter disaster"; and an extremely well-respected Microsoft integrator and
    MVP turning to open-source because it makes better financial sense. ""

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 22, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
    >
    > "" So, there you have it. A senior Microsoft employee saying that XP can
    > be so thoroughly compromised that you may have no choice but to destroy
    > and rebuild your PCs; a Windows expert's expert dismissing Vista as an
    > "utter disaster"; and an extremely well-respected Microsoft integrator and
    > MVP turning to open-source because it makes better financial sense. ""
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Only trouble with that load of crap is the fact that millions of people have
    been using XP for years without anything like the huge number of problems
    that you're having with all of Linux upgrades.

    You're having that many problems the only relief for you is lash out at
    others who are using XP without any real problems at all.

    God knows how often you defrag and reformat everything.

    Despite your crap Linux is bound to manage well enough without too many
    people believing that you are the official spokesperson for Linux and for
    everyone else who chooses to use Linux.

    It's twits like you who give computer users a bad name.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Apr 23, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    juicyjuice Guest

    agreed.. the MS basing from him is v.excessive, must be how he makes himself
    feel better about his insecurities.

    I wouldnt declare myself a fan of either.. they both have their uses and a
    far from perfect. I've watched my brother struggle to get a simple dvdrom to
    work under linux and playing games is out of the question among other
    features.

    juicyjuice, Apr 23, 2006
  4. On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:21:22 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > You're having that many problems the only relief for you is lash out at
    > others who are using XP without any real problems at all.

    LOLOL!

    Dream what you like dahling. But if that is what you think then you're in
    cookoo land.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jeffrey Jaffe, Novell CTO: "What many people are discovering is that the
    Linux desktop works just fine."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 23, 2006
  5. On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:17:25 +1200, juicyjuice wrote:

    > I wouldnt declare myself a fan of either.. they both have their uses and a
    > far from perfect. I've watched my brother struggle to get a simple dvdrom to
    > work under linux and playing games is out of the question among other
    > features.

    I suppose what your'e saying is that either your brother purchased a DVD
    drive that had region-locked firmware and he was not able to replace it
    with region free firmware; or he tried to play a DVD film that had been
    encrypted (most commercial DVDs have been encrypted) but he didn't have
    the decryption library installed.

    As for trying to use under Linux software designed to run under Micro$oft
    Windows... what moron would attempt to do that without having first
    installed an emulator?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
    >>
    >>"" So, there you have it. A senior Microsoft employee saying that XP can
    >>be so thoroughly compromised that you may have no choice but to destroy
    >>and rebuild your PCs; a Windows expert's expert dismissing Vista as an
    >>"utter disaster"; and an extremely well-respected Microsoft integrator and
    >>MVP turning to open-source because it makes better financial sense. ""
    >>

    >>Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    > Only trouble with that load of crap is the fact that millions of people have
    > been using XP for years without anything like the huge number of problems
    > that you're having with all of Linux upgrades.

    His quote is accurate, from MS itself....MS admits that a compromised PC
    is now so complete and utter that often the only recourse is a complete
    re-install...assuming the users can get near his own data and back it
    up....or has the capability to attempt such a re-install.

    Try telling say Dell support that...they get lots of calls from angry
    customers because their PCs are running too slow and it usually comes
    down to malware. Indeed some customers are reported to be buying new PCs
    on a regular basis as they are so riddles with multiple spam ware that
    they are unusable.

    NB I dont have problems with Linux upgrades....

    > You're having that many problems the only relief for you is lash out at
    > others who are using XP without any real problems at all.
    >
    > God knows how often you defrag and reformat everything.

    Shows how little you understand Linux....you dont need to defrag Linux
    disks...that is a Windows weakness...

    > Despite your crap Linux is bound to manage well enough without too many
    > people believing that you are the official spokesperson for Linux and for
    > everyone else who chooses to use Linux.

    I will grant you he is even beginning to annoy me...

    > It's twits like you who give computer users a bad name.

    No, computer users themselves give users a bad name. 70% of spam
    originates from compromised Windows machines on broadband connections.

    Sophos also tells us that these days 50%+ of viruses is malware
    specifically targetted at taking over a PC. A windows PC.....none are
    targetted at Linux because they wont work....

    > E. Scrooge

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 23, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Crains Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    <snip>

    > Only trouble with that load of crap is the fact that millions of
    > people have been using XP for years without anything like the huge
    > number of problems that you're having with all of Linux upgrades.
    >
    > You're having that many problems the only relief for you is lash out
    > at others who are using XP without any real problems at all.
    >
    > God knows how often you defrag and reformat everything.
    >
    > Despite your crap Linux is bound to manage well enough without too
    > many people believing that you are the official spokesperson for
    > Linux and for everyone else who chooses to use Linux.
    >
    > It's twits like you who give computer users a bad name.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Agreed, I wish people stop replying to his crap, got him killfiled but the
    replies always bring up the thread.

    Crains, Apr 23, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:23:08 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > I will grant you he is even beginning to annoy me...

    Hmm you seem to possess the same bi - polar disorder that lennier
    has, you seem to believe leenier`s irrational behaviour is in some way
    normal adult behaviour.

    > Sophos also tells us that these days 50%+ of viruses is malware
    > specifically targetted at taking over a PC. A windows PC.....none are
    > targetted at Linux because they wont work....

    Firewall, firefox 3rd party email client, So simple even you could manage
    it.

    >> E. Scrooge

    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    PS: I guess if the microsoft boys didnt wind you up at work,
    we wouldnt have to listen to your whining.

    Wouldnt that be great.

    J.

    Jennings, Apr 23, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jennings Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:02:41 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:21:22 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> You're having that many problems the only relief for you is lash out at
    >> others who are using XP without any real problems at all.

    Telecom , EDS all use windowsXP on their desktops, the proof is in the
    pudding.

    Btw you earlier dismissed Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols comments about linux
    being a fragmented mess, now your singing he is some kind of god.

    Take your meds lennier they are coming to lock you away...

    J.

    Jennings, Apr 23, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Troggles Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
    >
    > "" So, there you have it. A senior Microsoft employee saying that XP can
    > be so thoroughly compromised that you may have no choice but to destroy
    > and rebuild your PCs; a Windows expert's expert dismissing Vista as an
    > "utter disaster"; and an extremely well-respected Microsoft integrator and
    > MVP turning to open-source because it makes better financial sense. ""
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Microsoft? Linux? Who says we have to one or the other. I'm a big fan
    of integration. If parts of either system can work in harmony and the
    end result is that the two work better together, then why the hell not.

    Troggles, Apr 23, 2006
  11. On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:49:56 +1200, Troggles wrote:

    > Microsoft? Linux? Who says we have to one or the other. I'm a big fan
    > of integration. If parts of either system can work in harmony and the
    > end result is that the two work better together, then why the hell not.

    Indeed why not.

    In a highly integrated environment wouldn't compromise of one part be a
    compromise of the whole?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 23, 2006
  12. Jennings wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:02:41 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:21:22 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >>> You're having that many problems the only relief for you is lash out at
    >>> others who are using XP without any real problems at all.

    > Telecom , EDS all use windowsXP on their desktops, the proof is in the
    > pudding.

    Yes all using standard install images so they can rebuild the machine if
    there are issues.

    Jason Fanning, Apr 23, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    juicyjuice Guest

    thanks, my point exactly... need a firmware upgrade or extra libraries etc
    to play a simple dvd.. and emulators needed because most games can't run
    on/arn't made for linux. *I guess most 'morons' expect their OS to do simple
    tasks out of the box. =D

    juicyjuice, Apr 23, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    juicyjuice Guest

    That is because the majority of the spyware target base is home consumers
    who in large use windows.. now if Linux was the main desktop operating
    system that all used, of course the target would shift to linux. I doubt
    that spyware specifically writen for a linux operating system and specific
    browsers/email clients would be impossible, just why would anyone bother to
    write one when currently, there is no point!

    juicyjuice, Apr 23, 2006
  15. On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:32:34 +1200, juicyjuice wrote:

    > thanks, my point exactly... need a firmware upgrade or extra libraries etc
    > to play a simple dvd.. and emulators needed because most games can't run
    > on/arn't made for linux. *I guess most 'morons' expect their OS to do simple
    > tasks out of the box. =D

    Most morons purchase a system from a developer who has licenced the
    decryption software.

    Most morons will find their DVD drive permenantly region locked if they
    use a M$ Windows system to play 5 DVDs from different consecutive regions,
    resulting in their inability to play DVDs from any other region other than
    the one the DVD drive has been physically locked into.

    Most morons think their fancy new shrink-wrapped programme that has
    "designed for Windows XP" printed on the box will work on any computer.

    If that describes your brother then... what is he?

    Now if you were wanting to know HOW to get that DVD films playing under
    Linux all you have to do is post details of your DVD drive and politely
    ask.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 24, 2006
  16. On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:41:06 +1200, juicyjuice wrote:

    > I doubt
    > that spyware specifically writen for a linux operating system and specific
    > browsers/email clients would be impossible,

    How would spyware work? It wouldn't be able to read any home directory
    other than it's own user's directory - unless some dopy admin installed it
    as root and gave it root privileges.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 24, 2006
  17. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Nova Guest

    Crains wrote:
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> Only trouble with that load of crap is the fact that millions of
    >> people have been using XP for years without anything like the huge
    >> number of problems that you're having with all of Linux upgrades.
    >>
    >> You're having that many problems the only relief for you is lash out
    >> at others who are using XP without any real problems at all.
    >>
    >> God knows how often you defrag and reformat everything.
    >>
    >> Despite your crap Linux is bound to manage well enough without too
    >> many people believing that you are the official spokesperson for
    >> Linux and for everyone else who chooses to use Linux.
    >>
    >> It's twits like you who give computer users a bad name.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Agreed, I wish people stop replying to his crap, got him killfiled but the
    > replies always bring up the thread.

    I have just added him to my killfile list, the first person ever I have
    done it to :). Nothing worse than a stuck record player. I now just
    have to find out how to ignore any thread that he has started too.
    At first I thought it was mildly amusing but now it is beyond boring.

    Nova, Apr 24, 2006
  18. On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:11:53 +1200, Nova wrote:

    > At first I thought it was mildly amusing but now it is beyond boring.

    Dude you don't have to read them. Nobody says you must read every post in
    every thread.

    You're welcome to put me in your killfile. I don't mind. If that helps you
    to not read that which you don't want to read, then great. A useful tool
    for you.

    :eek:)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 24, 2006
  19. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    k Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:41:06 +1200, juicyjuice wrote:
    >
    >> I doubt
    >> that spyware specifically writen for a linux operating system and specific
    >> browsers/email clients would be impossible,

    > How would spyware work? It wouldn't be able to read any home directory
    > other than it's own user's directory - unless some dopy admin installed it
    > as root and gave it root privileges.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    You are failing to recognize that even Linux applications have all sorts
    of holes..

    And those holes do not necessarily have anything to do with simple,
    obvious things like permissions :)

    k, Apr 24, 2006
  20. On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:43:27 +1200, k wrote:

    >> How would spyware work? It wouldn't be able to read any home directory
    >> other than it's own user's directory - unless some dopy admin installed it
    >> as root and gave it root privileges.

    > You are failing to recognize that even Linux applications have all sorts
    > of holes..
    >
    > And those holes do not necessarily have anything to do with simple,
    > obvious things like permissions :)

    Yeah. But if it cannot get root privileges by one means or another it
    can't do anything of any consequence.

    And how fast do patches get released?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 24, 2006