When it says “16X” on the packages of DVDs, does that mean it ALSO records at lower speeds?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Chris Tsao, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. Chris Tsao

    Chris Tsao Guest

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=150792#availability

    When it says on the label of DVD packages "16 X" and not "up to 16 X"
    might that mean
    that it only records at 16 X and so if your DVD recorder or the
    software on your computer
    is only meant for up to just 8 X, that this is the wrong DVD for it?

    In the link above, in the Circuit City ad it says up to 16X, but HP
    never says on their
    packaging that it records at lower speeds. This is not perfectly
    clear!

    I suspect that I might have broken a DVD recorder with an HP disc that
    says 16X on it
    because after I put it in a DVD recorder that can only record up to 8
    X, the recorder often
    made pixels and the DVDs I made with it froze the picture and if my
    memory serves,
    when I tried to unfreeze the picture by fast-forwarding, it skipped
    scenes.
    Chris Tsao, Oct 27, 2008

  2. Re: When it says "16X" on the packages of DVDs, does that mean it ALSO records at lower speeds?

    "Chris Tsao" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=150792#availability
    >
    > When it says on the label of DVD packages "16 X" and not "up to 16 X"
    > might that mean
    > that it only records at 16 X and so if your DVD recorder or the
    > software on your computer
    > is only meant for up to just 8 X, that this is the wrong DVD for it?
    >
    > In the link above, in the Circuit City ad it says up to 16X, but HP
    > never says on their
    > packaging that it records at lower speeds. This is not perfectly
    > clear!
    >
    > I suspect that I might have broken a DVD recorder with an HP disc that
    > says 16X on it
    > because after I put it in a DVD recorder that can only record up to 8
    > X, the recorder often
    > made pixels and the DVDs I made with it froze the picture and if my
    > memory serves,
    > when I tried to unfreeze the picture by fast-forwarding, it skipped
    > scenes.

    no.
    it's a max - not a compulsory.
    you can write at 1 x speed if the desire so takes you - in fact recording
    at slower speeds will usually be more reliable.
    any errors on your disc are unrelated.

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....
    The dog from that film you saw, Oct 27, 2008

  3. Chris Tsao

    Mike S. Guest

    Re: Re: When it says "16X" on the packages of DVDs, does that mean it ALSO records at lower speeds?

    In article <>,
    The dog from that film you saw <> wrote:

    >"Chris Tsao" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=150792#availability
    >>
    >> When it says on the label of DVD packages "16 X" and not "up to 16 X"
    >> might that mean
    >> that it only records at 16 X and so if your DVD recorder or the
    >> software on your computer
    >> is only meant for up to just 8 X, that this is the wrong DVD for it?
    >>
    >> In the link above, in the Circuit City ad it says up to 16X, but HP
    >> never says on their
    >> packaging that it records at lower speeds. This is not perfectly
    >> clear!
    >>
    >> I suspect that I might have broken a DVD recorder with an HP disc that
    >> says 16X on it
    >> because after I put it in a DVD recorder that can only record up to 8
    >> X, the recorder often
    >> made pixels and the DVDs I made with it froze the picture and if my
    >> memory serves,
    >> when I tried to unfreeze the picture by fast-forwarding, it skipped
    >> scenes.

    >no.
    >it's a max - not a compulsory.
    >you can write at 1 x speed if the desire so takes you - in fact recording
    >at slower speeds will usually be more reliable.
    >any errors on your disc are unrelated.

    Yes but .....

    If the DVD burner/recorder is older, then there may be newer 16X media
    that are not listed in its internal write-strategy table. If such a bad
    disc-burner combination occurs, the burner may revert to a default write
    strategy which gives suboptimal burns. This means discs do not track well
    during playback.

    That's why people update their DVD burner firmware, to keep up with newer
    media and make sure that they are burned using the optimal speed and write
    strategy.

    Since standalone video DVD recorders rarely (if ever) get firmware updates
    that affect the burner itself, it is safer to use slower (8X or less)
    rated media because they are more likely to be in the burner's media table
    and be burned correctly. There are very few, if any, new formulations on
    8x media on the market, so an older recorder is more likely to "get it
    right".
    Mike S., Oct 30, 2008