    Policies apply?

    Thanks -

    Sean

    HelpPls, Jan 26, 2005

  2. HelpPls

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Wireless is a "simple" replacement to wire.

    Once the connection is made, every thing else that is Network related
    applies the same to wired computer or Wireless.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 26, 2005

  3. HelpPls

    Mark Gamache Guest

    If you are using WPA-PSK then the connection is likely always available.
    However... there are some vendors who's hardware doesn't connect until a
    user is logged in. This is rare.

    Additionally, it you are using IAS (RADIUS) to authenticate the WPA
    connection, remote access policy will determine whether or not access is
    granted. When the PC boots, it will try to authenticate using the domain
    machine account, once a seer logs in, the OS reauthenticates in the user's
    context. This means that you need to make sure that your computer accounts
    are added to the security group that allows for wireless access. If the PC
    doesn't meet the remote access policy req. then the machine part of the GPO
    will not be applied until the GPO refresh (default 8 hours) , assuming that
    the user is still logged in.

    To be sure of the behavior, take the time to disable your windows firewall
    and boot a machine and ping it. If you get no response, you know that
    either the machine was not granted access or that they Wireless NIC hasn't
    associated yet. The IAS logs will be pretty clear as to the state of the
    connection.

    I recommend http://www.deepsoftware.ru/iasviewer/ to make easy work of
    understanding the logs. It's free to try and cheap if you like it.

    Hope that helps,

    --
    Mark Gamache
    Certified Security Solutions

    Mark Gamache, Jan 27, 2005
  4. No, it does not work so "simply."

    There is considerable configuration required for wireless networks to behave
    exactly like wired networks. You need 802.1X at a minimum, but WPA is better.
    You need hardware that supports these protocols. You need the necessary infrastructure
    bits -- certificates (at least one), a RADIUS server (good for if you've
    got 20 or more clients so that you can rely on EAP for key management), and
    Windows XP on your clients. It's all fairly straightforward to set up (I
    did it in three hours a couple years ago for a customer when it was all still
    new and not well documented), but it's far from a "simple" replacement of
    a wire with the air.

    http://www.microsoft.com/wifi has some links to good guidance.

    Steve Riley

    Steve Riley [MSFT], Feb 1, 2005