When is Linux NOT Linux?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mickey Mouse, Jul 31, 2007.

  1. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 31, 2007

  2. In message <f8mvrs$1qe$>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > When it's another distribution....

    How does that make it not Linux?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 31, 2007

  3. Mickey Mouse

    peterwn Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > When it's another distribution....
    >
    > "although Ubuntu is source compatible with Debian, it is becoming less
    > and less binary compatible with Debian"
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6170488551.html

    You do not even know what Linux is. Yes, you have a very rough idea
    what it is but you do not understand terminology.

    It is like saying that I have this brand new Vista computer which does
    web browsing, E-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, accounting, media
    player, etc. I bet you would soon point out that Vista is just the
    operating system (granted it has a few extra things bundled in which the
    EU regard as illegal bundling).

    Anyway if people are using (say) Red Hat or Fedora, then the above
    article is of nil relevance.

    Ah, yes, I must tell you an interesting little IP story about Mickey
    Mouse (the real one) and Peter Pan sometime. It is all about corporate
    integrity and morality.
    peterwn, Jul 31, 2007
  4. Mickey Mouse

    bok Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > When it's another distribution....

    You are confused.

    While GNU is "GNU not Unix", GNU/Linux is sometimes just Linux and not
    GNU but Linux is never NOT Linux.
    bok, Jul 31, 2007
  5. Mickey Mouse

    Shane Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > When it's another distribution....
    >
    > "although Ubuntu is source compatible with Debian, it is becoming less and
    > less binary compatible with Debian"
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6170488551.html

    Wheres the beef?
    Are you saying <insert shock and or horror> that one distro is different
    from another????

    --
    "The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please, rotate your phone by 90
    degrees and try again..."
    Shane, Jul 31, 2007
  6. Mickey Mouse

    thingy Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > When it's another distribution....
    >
    > "although Ubuntu is source compatible with Debian, it is becoming less
    > and less binary compatible with Debian"
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6170488551.html

    moron....

    regards