    from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
    reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
    on the web (like yahoo shopping).

    Proteus, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Proteus

    Eric Gill Guest

    Proteus <> wrote in
    news:AfsFe.32257$:

    > Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available?

    No one who is going to tell you anything will even be able to confirm if
    Canon is going to use that name or not.

    > I have seen sample
    > photos from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout
    > out noise reduction software), but I can not find it available for
    > purchase anywhere on the web (like yahoo shopping).

    Sure those weren't from the D30?

    Eric Gill, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Proteus

    Proteus Guest

    Eric Gill wrote:

    > Sure those weren't from the D30?

    oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
    similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

    Proteus, Jul 26, 2005
  4. Proteus

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Proteus wrote:

    > Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample photos
    > from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
    > reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
    > on the web (like yahoo shopping).

    Looking back to the D30, Canon's consumer DSLR model releases have
    been spaced at roughly 16 month intervals.

    EOS D30 May 2000
    EOS D60 Feb 2002 17 months

    EOS 10D Feb 2003
    EOS 20D Aug 2004 18 months

    EOS 300D Aug 2003
    EOS 350D Feb 2005 14 months

    The 20D was announced August 2004, so if there is a 30D,
    extrapolation of the data above would indicate that it
    should be announced approximately 16 months later which is
    January 2006..

    Given that the major camera manufactureres almost always
    announce new models at the spring PMA camera exhibition
    in February, we can logically expect the 30d to be
    announced at the February 2006 PMA show.

    Note that except for the D30, all the above models have
    been announced in Feb and Aug.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 26, 2005
  5. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54:43 -0500, Proteus <>
    wrote:

    >Eric Gill wrote:
    >
    >..
    >>
    >> Sure those weren't from the D30?

    >oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
    >similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

    Because Canon has said that will be the name. At this point, the
    "30D" is pure speculation as to the name or even if it will be a 1.6
    crop sensor.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Jul 26, 2005
  6. Proteus

    SimonLW Guest

    "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    > Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample

    photos
    > from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
    > reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
    > on the web (like yahoo shopping).

    None that I know of. The 20D will run for a year or two longer (probably).

    If you confused it with the D30, it was released 5 years ago and was
    discontinued a couple years after that.
    -S

    SimonLW, Jul 26, 2005
  7. Proteus

    Darrell Guest

    "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    > Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample
    > photos
    > from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
    > reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
    > on the web (like yahoo shopping).

    NEVER!!! There was a Canon D30 in 2000, I doubt Canon will use a similar
    name. Next model will likely be 40D, but they still haven't perfected the
    20D yet..

    Darrell, Jul 26, 2005
  8. Proteus

    Darrell Guest

    "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54:43 -0500, Proteus <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Eric Gill wrote:
    >>
    >>..
    >>>
    >>> Sure those weren't from the D30?

    >>oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
    >>similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

    > Because Canon has said that will be the name. At this point, the
    > "30D" is pure speculation as to the name or even if it will be a 1.6
    > crop sensor.

    Don't worry it will be an APS-C sensor. It is unlikely Canon will make a
    bigger sensor, as they are introducing more EF-S lenses.

    Darrell, Jul 26, 2005
  9. Proteus

    Eric Gill Guest

    Proteus <> wrote in news:U1tFe.19258$:

    > Eric Gill wrote:
    >
    > ..
    >>
    >> Sure those weren't from the D30?

    > oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
    > similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

    Probably had a lucid moment and realized Nikon was naming their cameras
    similarly (D100, D50, D70) and it was just a matter of time before name
    collision.

    They should have chosen something with a little more difference, I agree.
    At least we're not like the poor Pentax users, wondering how to pronounce
    the name.

    Eric Gill, Jul 27, 2005
  10. Proteus

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Darrell" <> wrote in

    > "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54:43 -0500, Proteus <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Eric Gill wrote:
    >>>
    >>>..

    >>>oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie
    >>>confusing similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

    >> Because Canon has said that will be the name. At this point, the
    >> "30D" is pure speculation as to the name or even if it will be a 1.6
    >> crop sensor.
    >>

    > Don't worry it will be an APS-C sensor. It is unlikely Canon will make
    > a bigger sensor, as they are introducing more EF-S lenses.

    Yep. Last I checked, Canon really like the three-tiered system (1.6, 1.3,
    and Full Frame bodies) from a marketing standpoint, and their success seems
    to be bearing the idea out.

    Eric Gill, Jul 27, 2005
  11. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:01:51 GMT, Eric Gill <>
    wrote:

    >"Darrell" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message

    >>> Because Canon has said that will be the name. At this point, the
    >>> "30D" is pure speculation as to the name or even if it will be a 1.6
    >>> crop sensor.
    >>>

    >> Don't worry it will be an APS-C sensor. It is unlikely Canon will make
    >> a bigger sensor, as they are introducing more EF-S lenses.

    >Yep. Last I checked, Canon really like the three-tiered system (1.6, 1.3,
    >and Full Frame bodies) from a marketing standpoint, and their success seems
    >to be bearing the idea out.

    No, the 1.3 is going to go way in the 1D bodies.

    "A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

    _Introductions to History of the Reformation_
    Jonathan Swift
    1667-1745

    John A. Stovall, Jul 27, 2005
  12. Proteus wrote:
    > Eric Gill wrote:
    >
    > ..
    >
    >>Sure those weren't from the D30?

    > oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
    > similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

    Oh yeah? Try EOS 1D Mk II and EOS 1Ds Mark II.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 27, 2005
  13. Proteus

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:00:28 GMT, Eric Gill wrote:

    > They should have chosen something with a little more difference, I agree.
    > At least we're not like the poor Pentax users, wondering how to pronounce
    > the name.

    Is "Asahi" that difficult to pronounce? <g>

    ASAAR, Jul 27, 2005
  14. Proteus

    Mark B. Guest

    "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    > Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample
    > photos
    > from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
    > reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
    > on the web (like yahoo shopping).

    Are you joking?

    Mark B., Jul 27, 2005
  15. Proteus

    Mark B. Guest

    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54:43 -0500, Proteus <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Eric Gill wrote:
    >>
    >>..
    >>>
    >>> Sure those weren't from the D30?

    >>oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
    >>similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

    > Because Canon has said that will be the name. At this point, the
    > "30D" is pure speculation as to the name or even if it will be a 1.6
    > crop sensor.

    That's the only thing I would bet on at this point...Canon's introduction of
    the EF-S mount pretty much guarantees the 1.6x crop is here to stay for the
    20D line. I wouldn't expect an announcement until spring '06 at the
    earliest however.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 27, 2005
  16. Proteus

    Skip M Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > Proteus wrote:
    >
    >> Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample
    >> photos
    >> from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
    >> reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase
    >> anywhere
    >> on the web (like yahoo shopping).

    > Looking back to the D30, Canon's consumer DSLR model releases have
    > been spaced at roughly 16 month intervals.
    >
    > EOS D30 May 2000
    > EOS D60 Feb 2002 17 months
    >
    > EOS 10D Feb 2003
    > EOS 20D Aug 2004 18 months
    >
    > EOS 300D Aug 2003
    > EOS 350D Feb 2005 14 months
    >
    > The 20D was announced August 2004, so if there is a 30D,
    > extrapolation of the data above would indicate that it
    > should be announced approximately 16 months later which is
    > January 2006..
    >
    > Given that the major camera manufactureres almost always
    > announce new models at the spring PMA camera exhibition
    > in February, we can logically expect the 30d to be
    > announced at the February 2006 PMA show.
    >
    > Note that except for the D30, all the above models have
    > been announced in Feb and Aug.

    That supposes that the new Canon DSLR is a replacement for the 20D. If it
    is to slot into the line between the 20D and the 1D mkII, it could be
    announced for PhotoKina, in Aug/Sept, like the 20D was last year.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jul 27, 2005
  17. Proteus

    Darrell Guest

    "Eric Gill" <> wrote in message

    > They should have chosen something with a little more difference, I agree.
    > At least we're not like the poor Pentax users, wondering how to pronounce
    > the name.

    Pentax users simply don't worry and just take photos....

    Darrell, Jul 27, 2005
  18. Proteus

    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:01:51 GMT, Eric Gill <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Darrell" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message

    >>> Don't worry it will be an APS-C sensor. It is unlikely Canon will make
    >>> a bigger sensor, as they are introducing more EF-S lenses.

    >>Yep. Last I checked, Canon really like the three-tiered system (1.6, 1.3,
    >>and Full Frame bodies) from a marketing standpoint, and their success
    >>seems
    >>to be bearing the idea out.

    > No, the 1.3 is going to go way in the 1D bodies.

    And you know this how??? The 1.3 is only APS-H versus the 1.6 APS-C not that
    much bigger. I can see the 1.3 being dropped in favour of a 1.6. Many
    photojournalists are buying 20Ds as they can't justify a $5500CDN body to
    shoot news. Hell many are still using 1D bodies in this market.

    Darrell, Jul 27, 2005
  19. On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:16:30 -0400, "Darrell" <> wrote:

    >"John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:01:51 GMT, Eric Gill <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Darrell" <> wrote in

    >>>Yep. Last I checked, Canon really like the three-tiered system (1.6, 1.3,
    >>>and Full Frame bodies) from a marketing standpoint, and their success
    >>>seems
    >>>to be bearing the idea out.

    >> No, the 1.3 is going to go way in the 1D bodies.
    >>

    >And you know this how??? The 1.3 is only APS-H versus the 1.6 APS-C not that
    >much bigger. I can see the 1.3 being dropped in favour of a 1.6. Many
    >photojournalists are buying 20Ds as they can't justify a $5500CDN body to
    >shoot news. Hell many are still using 1D bodies in this market.

    There have been numerous threads on an a statement by a Canon
    Executive that Canon's plans were for one 1D body in the future and it
    would be FF.

    John A. Stovall, Jul 27, 2005
  20. On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:59:05 GMT, John A. Stovall
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:16:30 -0400, "Darrell" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, the 1.3 is going to go way in the 1D bodies.
    >>>

    >>And you know this how??? The 1.3 is only APS-H versus the 1.6 APS-C not that
    >>much bigger. I can see the 1.3 being dropped in favour of a 1.6. Many
    >>photojournalists are buying 20Ds as they can't justify a $5500CDN body to
    >>shoot news. Hell many are still using 1D bodies in this market.

    >There have been numerous threads on an a statement by a Canon
    >Executive that Canon's plans were for one 1D body in the future and it
    >would be FF.

    Those threads have been on Dpreviews and Fred Miranada forums.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Jul 27, 2005