    to start working on 64-bit software projects when is microsoft going to do
    this. everybody is tire of 32-bit windows and want the new 64-bit windows we
    can not wait

    shadow, Dec 19, 2007

  2. Windows Server 2008 will be the last server with a 32-bit version. MS has
    not decided if Vista will be the last client with a 32-bit version.
    Probably not, though, considering the hundreds of millions of 32-bit
    machines out there now.

    Why does MS need to stop making 32-bit? What's wrong with it? MS is
    supporting 64-bit sufficiently that they don't need to stop supporting
    32-bit in 64-bit's favor. It is not either/or. Anyway, it is the
    third-party software folks who need to increase their support for 64-bit,
    not MS.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 19, 2007

  3. shadow

    shadow Guest

    MS need start supporting 64-bit OS third-party software need to support for
    64-bit i saw bill gates keynotes about 64-bit OS it looks more better then
    32-bit OS i also use 64-bit OS its more faster then 32-bit and its more safer
    then 64-bit OS all the Virus are in 32-bit that could be why mac OS X have no
    virus, MS need to start sharing there Final Version of the OS code to
    third-party because they can start develop more better software for the new
    64-bit OS, When MS said something they don't always do it. i am happy for
    Window Server 2008 is the last 32-bit version now people can be safer. I also
    no more and more people have 64-bit intel Processor or AMD Processor.

    shadow, Dec 19, 2007
  4. 32-bit software runs natively under 64-bit Windows, including viruses. OS X
    doesn't have as many viruses because nobody cares about OS X. It has too
    small a market share to be any fun attacking it. All the action is in the
    Windows world.

    MS isn't going to share any code with third-party manufacturers. It's code
    is proprietary.

    The makers of third party software are responsible for supporting 64-bits.
    Gripe at them, not MS. MS is not some government agency that goes around
    telling people what they have to do. The marketplace will take of that in
    good time.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 19, 2007
  5. shadow

    shadow Guest

    32-bit runs under 64-bit windows that a lie 32-bit software is Incomplete
    with windows 64-bit and windows 64 is the future of windows kid for being a
    MVP you don't no your windows that well

    shadow, Dec 19, 2007
  6. shadow

    Greg Lamonte Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message

    > Why does MS need to stop making 32-bit? What's wrong with it? MS is
    > supporting 64-bit sufficiently

    That is not the problem, the problem is the other guys. It seems like
    everyone just ignores 64bit. The software of today is for 32 bit OS so why
    waste money and buy Windows XP 64 or Vista 64 bit if other vendors don't
    support them? Besides, computer magazines claim that Vista is slower than
    XP. Go figure.

    Greg Lamonte, Dec 19, 2007
  7. Nonsense. There isn't even a 64-bit version of Office and it runs just fine
    on my Vista Ultimate x64 box. The 64-bit processors contain all the
    standard instructions for running x86 software. That's why you see "86_64"
    describing the Intel Core processors. That's also why the newer x64
    instruction set is called "extensions."

    In any case, if 32-bit software couldn't run there would be no reason to
    have the WOW64 layer or to have the Programs Files(x86) folder in x64
    Windows.

    I don't want to resort to suggesting that you could drive at your IQ without
    risking getting a ticket, but you do need to better inform yourself on
    what's up these days with running software on the new operating systems.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 19, 2007
  8. shadow

    shadow Guest

    All of you download 64-bit windows XP and see the speed of 64-bit and
    performance of 64-bite use it for one day and come back here wote the good
    and bad things about windows XP 64-bit ok and you will see the power of a
    real OS and a Normal OS 32-bit system, The future of all OS is 64-bit and
    look at the pass OS 32-bit

    shadow, Dec 19, 2007
  9. What the heck do you think the people in a newsgroup titled
    "microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general" are running? Commodore 64's?

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 19, 2007
  10. shadow

    Gary Mount Guest

    I think that it would be more important to improve Windows for the future
    many multi core cpu's that will be coming out. Also hybrid cpu's that
    include gpu cores or other types of cores besides general purpose cpu cores.
    Also what about 128 bit? Wouldn't there be benefits to have 128 bit
    functionality inside of a cpu? I don't mean about the amount of memory that
    can be accessed with 128 bit addressing, but about math type computing.

    Gary Mount, Dec 19, 2007
  11. shadow

    Gary Mount Guest

    I think you are confusing drivers with applications. drivers must be 64 bit
    on the 64 bit o/s, applications can be 32 bit or 64 bit.

    Gary Mount, Dec 19, 2007
  12. shadow

    Gary Mount Guest

    I have a Commodore 64 sitting beside me.
    As I pick it up I see that one of the keys on the keyboard has broken.
    Apparently my Sony Betamax fell over onto my commodore 64 computer and broke
    it.
    I have got to put these valuable antiques away into a vault for safe
    keeping.

    Gary Mount, Dec 19, 2007
  13. shadow

    Theo Guest

    And, apparently you don't 'know' how to spell correctly!

    Theo, Dec 19, 2007
  14. shadow

    Carlos Guest

    shadow,
    Colin is, among others, one of the most respected guys in this NG.
    He is very knowledgeable and deserves your respect.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 19, 2007
  15. shadow

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    It's great that you are so passionate about computing and its future. You
    might want to have a look at the difference between the same generation of
    Intel and Motorola processors. It is interesting how their respective choice
    of memory architecture has influenced the design of the CPU and the
    influence that has had on OS design. (early MS and Apple/Mac OSs)

    Also of interest is a comparison of the assembly language code needed to
    multiply floating point numerals on each processor. It is also interesting
    to compare the amount of code with the same processor using 8,16,32 bits
    respectively. It is also interesting to note the difference in code
    complexity when a seemingly simple question must be answered: is x=y? (That
    translates, in machine terms, to: is the content of one given stack,
    register, or memory location the same as the content in another given stack,
    register, or memory location?)

    How I ramble on. Dude, I hope your interest continues!

    Tom Ferguson

    Tom Ferguson, Dec 19, 2007
  16. shadow

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Gary.

    Wow! A 64-bit Commodore! When was that built - about 1980?

    Oh. Not 64-bit. But 64 KILObytes of RAM? Let's see now, I just doubled
    the RAM in my 64-bit computer to 4 GIGAbytes of PC-6400. How's that for
    progress! ;<)

    My guess is that "shadow" was not yet born when that Commodore 64 was built.
    ;^}

    By the way, did you see the January 2008 issue of PC World magazine? On
    page 81 is a small report on the new Commodore GX gaming machine. They
    looked at the $3,000 model. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Dec 19, 2007
  17. shadow

    shadow Guest

    yea what about 128-bit computing and new Processor that are going out you
    MVPs no info about this yet, I no about commodore 64 i us one in my life time
    so it was cool but i am happy that new computers are more better then old
    commodore was

    shadow, Dec 19, 2007
  18. I can see you with a Commodore 64. I used to sell them.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 19, 2007
  19. shadow

    shadow Guest

    Is there away MS can find to change the code because windows can Enable
    64-bit to got a performance boost on a 32-bit OS if people have a 64-bit
    Processor is it possible

    shadow, Dec 19, 2007
  20. shadow

    Carlos Guest

    I was on the MSX bandwagon.
    MSX standed for "Microsoft Extended"
    A wild experiment between MS and the japanese industry that produced what I
    consider the best 8 bit computers of their age.
    They even had graphic acceleration before the PC did.
    Sadly the marked decided otherwise.
    :(
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 19, 2007