    meter, Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh

    Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    Troggles, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Troggles

    XPD Guest

    "Troggles" <> wrote in message
    news:kg_Qf.5782$...
    > The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
    > You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during operation.
    >
    > Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run Toshiba
    > virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the screen
    > sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net meter,
    > Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh
    >
    > Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    > give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    Hehe

    I bet your productivity/time used back when 386sx-20's were the in thing,
    has not changed even though youre now on a P4 3.6ghz beast ;)
    Its as I read in a tech magazine ages ago.... housewive/husbands (Id better
    be PC :p) doing housework.... it still takes the same amount of time now as
    it did 50 years ago :)

    XPD, Mar 12, 2006

  3. Troggles

    Enkidu Guest

    Troggles wrote:
    > The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
    > You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during operation.
    >
    > Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run
    > Toshiba virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the
    > screen sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net
    > meter, Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh
    >
    > Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    > give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    Yeah, but you can wait a lot faster these days.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 12, 2006
  4. Troggles

    MarkH Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in

    > I bet your productivity/time used back when 386sx-20's were the in
    > thing, has not changed even though youre now on a P4 3.6ghz beast ;)
    > Its as I read in a tech magazine ages ago.... housewive/husbands (Id
    > better be PC :p) doing housework.... it still takes the same amount
    > of time now as it did 50 years ago :)

    Or as I saw on 20/20 Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity - housework takes
    less time thanks to labour saving devices, hence we now have more free
    time.

    My Grandmother used to take hours to do the laundry (heating the copper,
    rubbing the clothes on the washboard, etc) whereas I bung the laundry in a
    machine, add power and press a button.

    With today's PCs we may spend as much or more time on them, but we are able
    to get the machines to do much more than the old 386s were ever capable of.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 12, 2006
  5. Troggles

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:03:41 +1300, Troggles <>
    wrote:

    >The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
    > You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during operation.
    >
    >Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run
    >Toshiba virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the
    >screen sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net
    >meter, Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh
    >
    >Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    >give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    Wait till Vista comes out.

    GraB, Mar 12, 2006
  6. Troggles

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:22:03 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >"XPD" <....nz> wrote in
    >
    >> I bet your productivity/time used back when 386sx-20's were the in
    >> thing, has not changed even though youre now on a P4 3.6ghz beast ;)
    >> Its as I read in a tech magazine ages ago.... housewive/husbands (Id
    >> better be PC :p) doing housework.... it still takes the same amount
    >> of time now as it did 50 years ago :)

    >Or as I saw on 20/20 Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity - housework takes
    >less time thanks to labour saving devices, hence we now have more free
    >time.
    >
    >My Grandmother used to take hours to do the laundry (heating the copper,
    >rubbing the clothes on the washboard, etc) whereas I bung the laundry in a
    >machine, add power and press a button.

    Does your power come in a carton? How many scoops do you use?

    GraB, Mar 12, 2006
  7. On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:03:41 +1300, Troggles wrote:

    > Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    > give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    Redmond seems to be of the opinion that the faster the computer, the more
    the OS can hog those resources for itself.

    This is but another reason not to use that OS.

    In the first place why should there be a need to run anti-virus software?!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 12, 2006
  8. On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:58:33 +1300, GraB wrote:

    >>Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    >>give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    > Wait till Vista comes out.

    <sniggaaaar>

    Yeah!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 12, 2006
  9. Troggles

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:03:41 +1300, Troggles wrote:
    >
    > > Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    > > give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    > Redmond seems to be of the opinion that the faster the computer, the more
    > the OS can hog those resources for itself.

    To get things done that the user wants.

    > This is but another reason not to use that OS.
    >
    > In the first place why should there be a need to run anti-virus software?!

    Because everyone who isn't a moron themselves knows that morons write
    viruses and infect computers with them.

    The supposedly "safe" Mac OS has been shown to be susceptible to
    viruses, there just aren't as many that have been written yet.

    RJ, Mar 12, 2006
  10. On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:40:14 +1300, RJ wrote:

    >> In the first place why should there be a need to run anti-virus software?!

    > Because everyone who isn't a moron themselves knows that morons write
    > viruses and infect computers with them.

    And the next question is HOW can a "moron" write a virus?

    And, moreover, why does Redmond's OS and browser AND email client have
    default settings and configurations that permit those viruses to work so
    very easily?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 13, 2006
  11. Troggles

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:40:14 +1300, RJ wrote:
    >
    > >> In the first place why should there be a need to run anti-virus software?!

    > > Because everyone who isn't a moron themselves knows that morons write
    > > viruses and infect computers with them.

    > And the next question is HOW can a "moron" write a virus?

    People who write viruses are morons. The whole mentality behind virus
    writing is moronic.

    > And, moreover, why does Redmond's OS and browser AND email client have
    > default settings and configurations that permit those viruses to work so
    > very easily?

    Anyone who runs an old outdated insecure operating system like Windows
    98 makes a rod for their own back, by choice. Your problem.

    Whereas, Outlook Express and Outlook, for a long time, have not had any
    such settings. Its a few years since Internet Explorer was fixed as
    well.

    RJ, Mar 13, 2006
  12. On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:56:44 +1300, RJ wrote:

    > Anyone who runs an old outdated insecure operating system like Windows
    > 98 makes a rod for their own back, by choice. Your problem.

    Since when was I using Win4.1 as my daily desktop?

    I have kept it for legacy purposes. It spends most of it's life switched
    off and unplugged. I do not use it to connect to the Internet. Even on
    those rare occasions that I boot it up, I do not have the ethernet cable
    plugged in unless I need to transfer some stuff to or from my Unix server.

    I have not used a Windows box as my daily desktop for about five years.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 13, 2006
  13. Troggles

    MarkH Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:22:03 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>"XPD" <....nz> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I bet your productivity/time used back when 386sx-20's were the in
    >>> thing, has not changed even though youre now on a P4 3.6ghz beast ;)
    >>> Its as I read in a tech magazine ages ago.... housewive/husbands
    >>> (Id better be PC :p) doing housework.... it still takes the same
    >>> amount of time now as it did 50 years ago :)

    >>Or as I saw on 20/20 Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity - housework
    >>takes less time thanks to labour saving devices, hence we now have
    >>more free time.
    >>
    >>My Grandmother used to take hours to do the laundry (heating the
    >>copper, rubbing the clothes on the washboard, etc) whereas I bung the
    >>laundry in a machine, add power and press a button.
    >>

    > Does your power come in a carton? How many scoops do you use?

    I have a cord with a plug that goes into a socket in the wall.

    I forgot to mention that as well as adding power I also add powder (the
    powder is scooped from a bag, rather than coming through a cord like the
    power).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 13, 2006
  14. Troggles

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 04:48:54 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >GraB <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:22:03 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"XPD" <....nz> wrote in

    >>>Or as I saw on 20/20 Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity - housework
    >>>takes less time thanks to labour saving devices, hence we now have
    >>>more free time.
    >>>
    >>>My Grandmother used to take hours to do the laundry (heating the
    >>>copper, rubbing the clothes on the washboard, etc) whereas I bung the
    >>>laundry in a machine, add power and press a button.
    >>>

    >> Does your power come in a carton? How many scoops do you use?

    >I have a cord with a plug that goes into a socket in the wall.
    >
    >I forgot to mention that as well as adding power I also add powder (the
    >powder is scooped from a bag, rather than coming through a cord like the
    >power).

    Oh, I see. :)

    GraB, Mar 13, 2006
  15. T'was the Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:21:42 +1300 when I remembered Have A
    Nice Cup of Tea <> saying something like this:

    >And the next question is HOW can a "moron" write a virus?

    Same way they right poorly designed code for businesses I guess.

    http://www.thecoderoom.com/ has a video called Breaking Into Las Vegas
    which shows what happens when applications aren't created with
    security in mind, shows SQL injection attacks, and session/cookie
    modification attacks.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 13, 2006
  16. Troggles

    Enkidu Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:21:42 +1300 when I remembered Have A
    > Nice Cup of Tea <> saying something like this:
    >

    >>And the next question is HOW can a "moron" write a virus?

    > Same way they right poorly designed code for businesses I guess.
    >
    > http://www.thecoderoom.com/ has a video called Breaking Into Las Vegas
    > which shows what happens when applications aren't created with
    > security in mind, shows SQL injection attacks, and session/cookie
    > modification attacks.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.
    > See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    SQL injection attacks are a thing of the past. What do you mean by
    session/cookie modification attacks?

    By the way, if you want your signature and sig snipped, it's 'hyphen,
    hyphen, space'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 13, 2006
  17. In <kg_Qf.5782$> Troggles wrote:
    > The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
    > You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during
    > operation.
    >
    > Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run
    > Toshiba virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the
    > screen sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net
    > meter, Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh
    >
    > Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    > give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    I've noticed this with Windows too. At work I use a middle-aged PC (
    700MHz, 256MB RAM) running Windows XP which boots up quickly and runs
    well. The reason it does so is because it's running very little extra at
    startup. No Office or Acrobat 'fast start' preloaders. About the only
    third-party program it runs at startup is the free version of AVG
    antivirus software.

    The PC next to it is faster and has more memory, but loads up Norton
    Antivirus, a rotating Earth destop picture, MS Office fast start, some
    indexed hard drive search program, a scanner driver etc. Even after the
    desktop appears the hard drive churns for another minute before it's
    responsive enough to actually launch an application.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 13, 2006
  18. T'was the Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:15:27 +1300 when I remembered Enkidu
    <> saying something like this:

    >By the way, if you want your signature and sig snipped, it's 'hyphen,
    >hyphen, space'.

    My apologies, where'd my space go?;)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 13, 2006
  19. T'was the Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:15:27 +1300 when I remembered Enkidu
    <> saying something like this:

    >SQL injection attacks are a thing of the past. What do you mean by
    >session/cookie modification attacks?

    This particular system was poorly implemented, username data was
    stored in a cookie, modifying the username stored in the cookie
    allowed you to enter the website under another's credentials.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 13, 2006
  20. Troggles

    Troggles Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <kg_Qf.5782$> Troggles wrote:
    >
    >>The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
    >> You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during
    >>operation.
    >>
    >>Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run
    >>Toshiba virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the
    >>screen sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net
    >>meter, Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh
    >>
    >>Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
    >>give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

    > I've noticed this with Windows too. At work I use a middle-aged PC (
    > 700MHz, 256MB RAM) running Windows XP which boots up quickly and runs
    > well. The reason it does so is because it's running very little extra at
    > startup. No Office or Acrobat 'fast start' preloaders. About the only
    > third-party program it runs at startup is the free version of AVG
    > antivirus software.
    >
    > The PC next to it is faster and has more memory, but loads up Norton
    > Antivirus, a rotating Earth destop picture, MS Office fast start, some
    > indexed hard drive search program, a scanner driver etc. Even after the
    > desktop appears the hard drive churns for another minute before it's
    > responsive enough to actually launch an application.

    My point eggs-acery <sniff>

    Troggles, Mar 13, 2006