When I go to start Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Barry Karas, Feb 19, 2008.

  1. Barry Karas

    Barry Karas Guest

    19/Feb/2008 12:16

    I use Mozilla Firefox 2 as my browser instead of Microsoft Internet
    Explorer.

    When I go to start Firefox, I click on the icon on my desktop or start menu.
    A few months ago, Firefox started taking a long time (about 15 seconds) to
    actually start. Normally I do not care, but the long start time is one of
    those little annoyances that, over a time, bother me. Also, sometimes I
    think something is wrong with my computer or operating system.

    Is it taking too long for Firefox to start?

    Thank you,

    Barry Karas

    Barry Karas, Feb 19, 2008

  2. Barry Karas wrote:
    > 19/Feb/2008 12:16
    >
    > I use Mozilla Firefox 2 as my browser instead of Microsoft Internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > When I go to start Firefox, I click on the icon on my desktop or start menu.
    > A few months ago, Firefox started taking a long time (about 15 seconds) to
    > actually start. Normally I do not care, but the long start time is one of
    > those little annoyances that, over a time, bother me. Also, sometimes I
    > think something is wrong with my computer or operating system.
    >
    > Is it taking too long for Firefox to start?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Barry Karas

    it depends on how long is too long. 5 or 6 seconds? No,
    thats not long. It also depends on the Operating system, the
    power of your computer, how much ram, and many other factors.

    Something to try: Close FF, then click on the windows start
    button, then run, and enter:

    firefox.exe -safe-mode

    Does it open fast now?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Barry Karas

    Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:12:40 -0500, "Barry Karas"
    <> wrote:

    >19/Feb/2008 12:16
    >
    >I use Mozilla Firefox 2 as my browser instead of Microsoft Internet
    >Explorer.
    >
    >When I go to start Firefox, I click on the icon on my desktop or start menu.
    >A few months ago, Firefox started taking a long time (about 15 seconds) to
    >actually start. Normally I do not care, but the long start time is one of
    >those little annoyances that, over a time, bother me. Also, sometimes I
    >think something is wrong with my computer or operating system.
    >
    >Is it taking too long for Firefox to start?
    >
    >Thank you,
    >
    >Barry Karas

    Because part of IE is built into Windows, IE always opens faster. FF
    has to load the whole program from scratch. I normally use FF and
    find it better than IE as well as much more secure. However, if I
    just want a quick website on a secure site (for example, a weather
    report), I often use IE just because it's faster. But if I'm going to
    be browsing the web, and possibly getting on sites that may not be
    100% secure, then I spend the time to wait for FF to load. Of all the
    popular browsers, (IE, Opera, and FF), FF is the slowest to load, but
    the best browser once it is loaded. I dont mind the wait, knowing I
    will have a decent browser, unless I just want a quick weather report
    (or something) and nothing more.

    Of the three I mentioned, IE loads the fastest, Opera is next, (but I
    dont much care for it), and FF is the slowest.
    I am using Win98, on a 1ghz PIII, so this is based on win98, on a
    mid-speed computer, not other OSs or computers.

    , Feb 24, 2008
  4. Barry Karas schrieb:
    > 19/Feb/2008 12:16
    >
    > I use Mozilla Firefox 2 as my browser instead of Microsoft Internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > When I go to start Firefox, I click on the icon on my desktop or start menu.
    > A few months ago, Firefox started taking a long time (about 15 seconds) to
    > actually start. Normally I do not care, but the long start time is one of
    > those little annoyances that, over a time, bother me. Also, sometimes I
    > think something is wrong with my computer or operating system.
    >
    > Is it taking too long for Firefox to start?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Barry Karas

    Right click on the Firefox-icon, left click on "Preferences".
    You'll see a line called Target, and you change the line:

    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

    to:

    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1

    Then press OK. The first start of Firefox should again take some time,
    but afterwards, it loads in an instant.

    (BTW: This is why InternetExplorer starts more quickly. It uses the same
    kind of trick.)

    Philipp Kretzschmar, Mar 23, 2008
  5. Barry Karas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Philipp Kretzschmar wrote:
    > Barry Karas schrieb:
    >> 19/Feb/2008 12:16
    >>
    >> I use Mozilla Firefox 2 as my browser instead of Microsoft Internet
    >> Explorer.
    >>
    >> When I go to start Firefox, I click on the icon on my desktop or start
    >> menu. A few months ago, Firefox started taking a long time (about 15
    >> seconds) to actually start. Normally I do not care, but the long start
    >> time is one of those little annoyances that, over a time, bother me.
    >> Also, sometimes I think something is wrong with my computer or
    >> operating system.
    >>
    >> Is it taking too long for Firefox to start?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> Barry Karas
    >>

    > Right click on the Firefox-icon, left click on "Preferences".
    > You'll see a line called Target, and you change the line:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
    >
    > to:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1
    >
    > Then press OK. The first start of Firefox should again take some time,
    > but afterwards, it loads in an instant.
    >
    > (BTW: This is why InternetExplorer starts more quickly. It uses the same
    > kind of trick.)

    Another Windows myth:

    http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html

    Scroll down and look for "/Prefetch:1 Switch"

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 23, 2008