When does Mozilla connect to IRC - port 6667 ?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jay E., Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Jay E.

    Jay E. Guest

    Greetings!
    This may be a false lead - but I would like to ask.
    I recently installed Mozilla 1.6 and all went well for two days.
    Today, my firewall is detecting an outgoing request for port 6667 fron
    an application 'svchost'.

    Port 6667 is used for IRC - chat.
    But, I haven't used Chatzilla yet.

    Does anyone know when Mozilla tries to make a connection to this port?
    Could this be a normal occurance that Mozilla makes when the Internet
    connection is made?

    I had not specified any IRC server - which makes me suspect that I may
    have a virus or Trojan-something.

    I wanted to rule out Mozilla before I start chasing snarks...

    T H A N K S,
    Jay
    Jay E., Apr 16, 2004

  2. Jay E. writes:

    > Greetings!
    > This may be a false lead - but I would like to ask.
    > I recently installed Mozilla 1.6 and all went well for two days.
    > Today, my firewall is detecting an outgoing request for port 6667 fron
    > an application 'svchost'.
    >
    > Port 6667 is used for IRC - chat.
    > But, I haven't used Chatzilla yet.
    >
    > Does anyone know when Mozilla tries to make a connection to this port?
    > Could this be a normal occurance that Mozilla makes when the Internet
    > connection is made?
    >
    > I had not specified any IRC server - which makes me suspect that I may
    > have a virus or Trojan-something.
    >
    > I wanted to rule out Mozilla before I start chasing snarks...

    First, go here:
    http://tinyurl.com/273fe
    and read all that you can bear to read.

    Then go here:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    and download "stinger.exe" and then run it.

    --
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.
    Caffeine Junkie, Apr 16, 2004