    problems (which I've spent the morning on). I guess I never realized
    how complete the change has been. For some reason, I'm thinking of
    setting my darkroom up and going "retro".

    Pat, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Pat

    Cynicor Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    > and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support.

    Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    Cynicor, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    On Oct 20, 2:14 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    > > I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    > > and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support.

    > Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    > smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    But I've never been into technology-for-the-sake-of-technology just
    like I was never into developers for the chemistry of it. It's always
    been a means to an end. Now, the computers and such are become all-
    consuming.

    Pat, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Photography like many other things have gotten more powerful, flexible and
    fun. But it also came with a need for technical know how. Things were easier
    with film as their was less you could do. But, thanks to computers, digital
    cameras, software and hardware you have to be more than a photographer to
    make use of all of these.

    Just be happy that your friend thinks so highly of your skill that they felt
    you were the best one to call.

    The Spider

    The Spider from Little Miss Muffet, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Pat

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, Pat
    <> wrote:

    > A friend called a while ago. He's having a bad day. He finally
    > decided to network his macs so they can share the huge hard drives he
    > uses for desktop publishing and video editing. He can't get things up
    > and running so he called me for some advice.
    >
    > I said something about the fact that I know nothing about macs. He
    > said something to the effect of "but your a photographer so you know
    > all about networks".
    >
    > That got me thinking (and not good thoughts, mind you) about
    > photography. When did the change become so complete that your
    > photographer-friend became the go-to guy for network problems.
    >
    > I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    > and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support. I hate fixing website
    > problems (which I've spent the morning on). I guess I never realized
    > how complete the change has been. For some reason, I'm thinking of
    > setting my darkroom up and going "retro".

    I've kept my darkroom intact. All I need are fresh chemicals/paper, and
    I can print up to 16x20 in B&W and color.

    Mr. Strat, Oct 20, 2007
  6. "Mr. Strat" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Pat
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> A friend called a while ago. He's having a bad day. He finally
    >> decided to network his macs so they can share the huge hard drives he
    >> uses for desktop publishing and video editing. He can't get things up
    >> and running so he called me for some advice.
    >>
    >> I said something about the fact that I know nothing about macs. He
    >> said something to the effect of "but your a photographer so you know
    >> all about networks".
    >>
    >> That got me thinking (and not good thoughts, mind you) about
    >> photography. When did the change become so complete that your
    >> photographer-friend became the go-to guy for network problems.
    >>
    >> I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    >> and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support. I hate fixing website
    >> problems (which I've spent the morning on). I guess I never realized
    >> how complete the change has been. For some reason, I'm thinking of
    >> setting my darkroom up and going "retro".

    > I've kept my darkroom intact. All I need are fresh chemicals/paper, and
    > I can print up to 16x20 in B&W and color.

    Oh boy! You really put up an evocative post you know. I started as a ten
    year old with negs from a Kodak box Brownie in contact print frames, and had
    my own darkroom for many years. I used to love introducing kids from the
    Scouts abd Guides and other youth groups to the magic of seeing their pics
    slowly appearing in the dev bath. I will never forget those days. Now, at 63
    years of age, I too have gone completely digital. And your post brought back
    all the old memories. Now all I gotta do is import them to the computer, hit
    an "I feel lucky" button, and they look pretty good (I am, after all, merely
    an amateur after all these years). Kinda makes me feel old.

    Sigh!

    --
    Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and

    Peter in New Zealand, Oct 20, 2007

    ??>> Pat wrote:
    ??>>> I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells
    ??>>> of developers and stop bath. I hate turning to
    ??>>> tech-support.
    ??>>
    ??>> Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less
    ??>> you'll enjoy the smells of developers who've stopped
    ??>> baths.

    As a necessary part of scientific activities, I developed
    innumerable large negatives. I will not say with how much
    pleasure I encountered first Polaroid methods and then direct
    electronic measurement. I had a dark-room at home with the usual
    things like an enlarger and automated washing but I was never as
    enthusiastic as was my wife for working in the dark! :)

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

    James Silverton, Oct 20, 2007
  8. Pat

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/20/07 1:09 PM, in article
    , "Pat"
    <> wrote:

    > A friend called a while ago. He's having a bad day. He finally
    > decided to network his macs so they can share the huge hard drives he
    > uses for desktop publishing and video editing. He can't get things up
    > and running so he called me for some advice.
    >
    > I said something about the fact that I know nothing about macs. He
    > said something to the effect of "but your a photographer so you know
    > all about networks".
    >
    > That got me thinking (and not good thoughts, mind you) about
    > photography. When did the change become so complete that your
    > photographer-friend became the go-to guy for network problems.
    >
    > I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    > and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support. I hate fixing website
    > problems (which I've spent the morning on). I guess I never realized
    > how complete the change has been. For some reason, I'm thinking of
    > setting my darkroom up and going "retro".

    I got a boatload of Nikkor stainless developing reels (both 35mm and 120)
    that I'd let you have for a deal. Except that they are serving a useful
    purpose in my entertainment center. I place them between stacked the
    components for ventilation and heat dissipation purposes.

    Friends that come over who notice them ask where they can get some because
    they say that they look very "art deco".

    George Kerby, Oct 20, 2007
  9. Pat

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/20/07 1:22 PM, in article
    , "Pat"
    <> wrote:

    > On Oct 20, 2:14 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>> I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    >>> and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support.

    >> Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    >> smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    > But I've never been into technology-for-the-sake-of-technology just
    > like I was never into developers for the chemistry of it. It's always
    > been a means to an end. Now, the computers and such are become all-
    > consuming.

    Whoosh!

    Seriously, I don't miss the orange-yellow fingernails from the hypo.

    Lawd knows what kind of damage I did to my body in those days.

    (That, and other induced chemicals...)

    George Kerby, Oct 20, 2007
  10. Pat

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/20/07 1:27 PM, in article 201020071127016095%,
    "Mr. Strat" <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Pat
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> A friend called a while ago. He's having a bad day. He finally
    >> decided to network his macs so they can share the huge hard drives he
    >> uses for desktop publishing and video editing. He can't get things up
    >> and running so he called me for some advice.
    >>
    >> I said something about the fact that I know nothing about macs. He
    >> said something to the effect of "but your a photographer so you know
    >> all about networks".
    >>
    >> That got me thinking (and not good thoughts, mind you) about
    >> photography. When did the change become so complete that your
    >> photographer-friend became the go-to guy for network problems.
    >>
    >> I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    >> and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support. I hate fixing website
    >> problems (which I've spent the morning on). I guess I never realized
    >> how complete the change has been. For some reason, I'm thinking of
    >> setting my darkroom up and going "retro".

    > I've kept my darkroom intact. All I need are fresh chemicals/paper, and
    > I can print up to 16x20 in B&W and color.

    Mine has become a storage facility and a place for servicing my aquariums.

    George Kerby, Oct 20, 2007
  11. "Cynicor" <> wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >> I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    >> and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support.

    > Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    > smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    Flipping brilliant!

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 21, 2007
  12. Pat

    Battleax Guest

    Re: When did the photographer become ....Never

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >A friend called a while ago. He's having a bad day. He finally
    > decided to network his macs so they can share the huge hard drives he
    > uses for desktop publishing and video editing. He can't get things up
    > and running so he called me for some advice.
    >
    > I said something about the fact that I know nothing about macs. He
    > said something to the effect of "but your a photographer so you know
    > all about networks".
    >
    > That got me thinking (and not good thoughts, mind you) about
    > photography. When did the change become so complete that your
    > photographer-friend became the go-to guy for network problems.

    Never. I've never heard of someone relating the two. Just because your weird
    friend has this strange delusion doesn't mean it's a "new common occurrence"

    You're turning a single incident into some ridiculous world wide phenomenon.

    Battleax, Oct 21, 2007
  13. Pat

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/20/07 6:24 PM, in article
    , "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:

    > "Cynicor" <> wrote:
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>> I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    >>> and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support.

    >> Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    >> smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    > Flipping brilliant!
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    I thought it was pretty good myself!

    George Kerby, Oct 21, 2007
  14. Pat

    Bob S Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > A friend called a while ago. He's having a bad day. He finally
    > decided to network his macs so they can share the huge hard drives he
    > uses for desktop publishing and video editing. He can't get things up
    > and running so he called me for some advice.
    >
    > I said something about the fact that I know nothing about macs. He
    > said something to the effect of "but your a photographer so you know
    > all about networks".
    >
    > That got me thinking (and not good thoughts, mind you) about
    > photography. When did the change become so complete that your
    > photographer-friend became the go-to guy for network problems.
    >
    > I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    > and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support. I hate fixing website
    > problems (which I've spent the morning on). I guess I never realized
    > how complete the change has been. For some reason, I'm thinking of
    > setting my darkroom up and going "retro".

    Like you I miss the darkroom environment too. I just went into the room
    that once was my darkroom, now a storage area, and looked at my B22XL.

    Having retired from 40 years of field service I'm looking for a tshirt,
    "Yes I'm retired from IBM - NO I won't fix your computer!"

    Bob S

    Bob S, Oct 21, 2007
  15. On Oct 20, 1:14 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    > > I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    > > and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support.

    > Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    > smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    That is one of the big things I like about digital darkrooms. No more
    mess and smells. While I never did it, my wife used to do sepia and
    selenium toning. One of those- forget which one- used to REALLY stink!

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Oct 21, 2007
  16. Pat

    Cynicor Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    >>> Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    >>> smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    >> Flipping brilliant!
    >>

    > I thought it was pretty good myself!

    (shrug) I won't be making a name for myself with my photography any time
    soon, so I might as well get credit for SOMETHING.

    Cynicor, Oct 21, 2007
  17. Pat

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, Don
    Stauffer in Minnesota <> wrote:

    > That is one of the big things I like about digital darkrooms. No more
    > mess and smells. While I never did it, my wife used to do sepia and
    > selenium toning. One of those- forget which one- used to REALLY stink!

    That would be sepia toner. It smelled like you were working in a turd
    factory. But done properly, the tones were gorgeous.

    Mr. Strat, Oct 22, 2007
  18. Pat

    Allen Guest

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
    > On Oct 20, 1:14 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>> I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    >>> and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support.

    >> Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    >> smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    > That is one of the big things I like about digital darkrooms. No more
    > mess and smells. While I never did it, my wife used to do sepia and
    > selenium toning. One of those- forget which one- used to REALLY stink!

    Sepia. Used, as I recall, sodium sulfide. Whatever it was, it emitted
    hydrogen sulfide.
    Allen

    Allen, Oct 22, 2007
  19. Pat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > A friend called a while ago. He's having a bad day. He finally
    > decided to network his macs so they can share the huge hard drives he
    > uses for desktop publishing and video editing. He can't get things up
    > and running so he called me for some advice.
    >
    > I said something about the fact that I know nothing about macs. He
    > said something to the effect of "but your a photographer so you know
    > all about networks".
    >
    > That got me thinking (and not good thoughts, mind you) about
    > photography. When did the change become so complete that your
    > photographer-friend became the go-to guy for network problems.
    >
    > I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    > and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support. I hate fixing website
    > problems (which I've spent the morning on). I guess I never realized
    > how complete the change has been. For some reason, I'm thinking of
    > setting my darkroom up and going "retro".

    Just remember that some of those old chemical baths are great for the
    negatives, and the prints, and VERY bad for humans. Don't sniff those
    chemicals too much!

    Ron Hunter, Oct 22, 2007
  20. Pat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > On Oct 20, 2:14 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>> I miss the solitude of the darkroom. I miss the smells of developers
    >>> and stop bath. I hate turning to tech-support.

    >> Ironically, the more into technology you get, the less you'll enjoy the
    >> smells of developers who've stopped baths.

    > But I've never been into technology-for-the-sake-of-technology just
    > like I was never into developers for the chemistry of it. It's always
    > been a means to an end. Now, the computers and such are become all-
    > consuming.

    Yes, and while working with websites and networking may drive you crazy,
    those chemicals can poison you!

    Ron Hunter, Oct 22, 2007