When connecting with DLink router, IE won't open some sites

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by EyalS, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. EyalS

    EyalS Guest

    Hi,

    I've been slaving away at my parenys' house, trying to set up a network
    for them. I bought a DLink 604, and hooked them up. At first glance,
    all was well, but then I noticed that IE will not open some sites
    (microsoft updates, download.com, occasionally google, and so on),
    while other sites, like Yahoo!, open well. At first I thought the
    problem was on one machine, then I discovered it on both.

    I reinstalled the PPPoE software on one machine, and reconnected it to
    the net (I uninstalled the protocol as per the instructionsfor the
    router, but did not remove the dial-up connections so it'll be easier
    to revert back. I wonder...). All the sites work fine. So I'm
    thinking this has something to do with the router.

    Setup summary - DSL modem, DLink 604 router, two machines running XP,
    pro SP1 and home SP2.

    I read some previous threads, and saw a similar problem to mine, but
    not similar enough...

    Any ideas?

    EyalS, Mar 25, 2006

  2. EyalS

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "EyalS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been slaving away at my parenys' house, trying to set up a network
    > for them. I bought a DLink 604, and hooked them up. At first glance,
    > all was well, but then I noticed that IE will not open some sites
    > (microsoft updates, download.com, occasionally google, and so on),
    > while other sites, like Yahoo!, open well. At first I thought the
    > problem was on one machine, then I discovered it on both.
    >
    > I reinstalled the PPPoE software on one machine, and reconnected it to
    > the net (I uninstalled the protocol as per the instructionsfor the
    > router, but did not remove the dial-up connections so it'll be easier
    > to revert back. I wonder...). All the sites work fine. So I'm
    > thinking this has something to do with the router.
    >
    > Setup summary - DSL modem, DLink 604 router, two machines running XP,
    > pro SP1 and home SP2.
    >
    > I read some previous threads, and saw a similar problem to mine, but
    > not similar enough...
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I have seen your problem on numerous occasions on posts with a new router
    where machines connected to the router have trouble connecting to some sites
    while not having problems connecting to other sites.

    In most of all cases I have seen, if the router is flashed with the current
    version of the firmware the router is using or a later version of the
    firmware that can be used, then that fixes the problem, and the machines can
    connect to all sites with no problem. The router may have a sick firmware
    installed and the router has to be flashed to correct it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 25, 2006

  3. EyalS

    Cooper Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "EyalS" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've been slaving away at my parenys' house, trying to set up a
    >> network for them. I bought a DLink 604, and hooked them up. At
    >> first glance, all was well, but then I noticed that IE will not open
    >> some sites (microsoft updates, download.com, occasionally google,
    >> and so on), while other sites, like Yahoo!, open well. At first I
    >> thought the problem was on one machine, then I discovered it on both.
    >>
    >> I reinstalled the PPPoE software on one machine, and reconnected it
    >> to the net (I uninstalled the protocol as per the instructionsfor the
    >> router, but did not remove the dial-up connections so it'll be easier
    >> to revert back. I wonder...). All the sites work fine. So I'm
    >> thinking this has something to do with the router.
    >>
    >> Setup summary - DSL modem, DLink 604 router, two machines running XP,
    >> pro SP1 and home SP2.
    >>
    >> I read some previous threads, and saw a similar problem to mine, but
    >> not similar enough...
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > I have seen your problem on numerous occasions on posts with a new
    > router where machines connected to the router have trouble connecting
    > to some sites while not having problems connecting to other sites.
    >
    > In most of all cases I have seen, if the router is flashed with the
    > current version of the firmware the router is using or a later
    > version of the firmware that can be used, then that fixes the
    > problem, and the machines can connect to all sites with no problem.
    > The router may have a sick firmware installed and the router has to
    > be flashed to correct it.

    I had that problem recently with a new modem. Apparently the maker knew
    about the problem but I had to wait until a new firmware was released to
    remidy it.
    In the meantime I had to bypass the DNS proxy settings of the router and
    enter the DNS server settings provided by my ISP in windows.
    It's the advanced properties of TCP/IP in Network Connections - Local Area
    Connection

    Cooper, Mar 25, 2006
  4. EyalS

    EyalS Guest

    So I need to download the latest firmware? I suppose the DLink site
    has all the info on how to do that. I'll give it a go.

    Thanks

    EyalS, Mar 25, 2006
  5. EyalS

    EyalS Guest

    Will try this if a firmware update doesn't do the trick, since it's
    Saturday, there's no one at the ISP offices anyway...

    Thanks.

    EyalS, Mar 25, 2006
  6. EyalS

    Fred Guest

    Fred, Mar 25, 2006
  7. EyalS

    Fred Guest

    EyalS wrote:
    > Will try this if a firmware update doesn't do the trick, since it's
    > Saturday, there's no one at the ISP offices anyway...
    >
    > Thanks.

    I forgot it may be an MTU setting problem as well. Mentioned in the D-Link
    FAQ.
    http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DI-604

    Fred, Mar 25, 2006
  8. Walter Mautner, Mar 25, 2006
  9. EyalS

    EyalS Guest

    Fred - MTU, you say? I have to check (not in the same place as the
    router), but I think I have th European model, and the FAQ states that
    the MTU fix will not help for the European version (though I might try
    it anyway...). Still, pings would work on and off when I tried, and if
    it was just an MTU issue, it wouldn't affect ping packets, would it?

    Thanks!

    EyalS, Mar 25, 2006
  10. EyalS wrote:
    > Fred - MTU, you say? I have to check (not in the same place as the
    > router), but I think I have th European model, and the FAQ states that
    > the MTU fix will not help for the European version (though I might try
    > it anyway...). Still, pings would work on and off when I tried, and if
    > it was just an MTU issue, it wouldn't affect ping packets, would it?
    >
    > Thanks!

    MTU deals with the router connection between your router and the ISP and
    has nothing to do with accessing sites.

    Duane :)

    K-Hen-Butt-Kicker, Mar 25, 2006
  11. EyalS

    Leythos Guest

    In article <ZtdVf.4995$>, She-
    says...
    > EyalS wrote:
    > > Fred - MTU, you say? I have to check (not in the same place as the
    > > router), but I think I have th European model, and the FAQ states that
    > > the MTU fix will not help for the European version (though I might try
    > > it anyway...). Still, pings would work on and off when I tried, and if
    > > it was just an MTU issue, it wouldn't affect ping packets, would it?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > MTU deals with the router connection between your router and the ISP and
    > has nothing to do with accessing sites.

    Sure it does Duane - MTU settings can keep sites and anything else from

    Put the MTU setting to high and see what happens.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Mar 25, 2006
  12. EyalS

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ZtdVf.4995$>, She-
    > says...
    >> EyalS wrote:
    >> > Fred - MTU, you say? I have to check (not in the same place as the
    >> > router), but I think I have th European model, and the FAQ states that
    >> > the MTU fix will not help for the European version (though I might try
    >> > it anyway...). Still, pings would work on and off when I tried, and if
    >> > it was just an MTU issue, it wouldn't affect ping packets, would it?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> >

    >> MTU deals with the router connection between your router and the ISP and
    >> has nothing to do with accessing sites.

    > Sure it does Duane - MTU settings can keep sites and anything else from
    >
    > Put the MTU setting to high and see what happens.

    The only time I have seen the MTU setting come into play is when OE or
    Outlook I was using would not work due to the MTU setting on the router that
    had to be adjusted . I have never seen site access with surfing with a
    browser causing this issue, so you maybe right - you usually are.

    But what I really suspect is the firmware issue as I have seen it too many
    times and have helped numerous poster that have had this issue, as I pointed
    them in the right direction.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 25, 2006
  13. EyalS

    EyalS Guest

    Well, it really was the MTU setting. I set it to what I understand to
    be the standard size in PPP connections - 576. The firmware is th
    elatest version.

    Anyway, thanks, you guys, you really helped me out - I had no idea wgat
    MTU was, so I learned something besides making my folks happy.

    Thanks!

    EyalS, Mar 25, 2006