    this problem, there was no for-warning from MS. Its like if they ignore the
    problem it will just go away. IM NOT GOING AWAY BILL GATES!! FIX YOUR
    S@#T!!!!!

    Defjr, Mar 30, 2008

  2. gosh, I'm sorry your machine doesn't work with 8 GB of RAM. All of mine do.

    Yelling at us really won't help - we don't work for Microsoft, we're just
    users. This isn't a monitored forum, but a peer-support newsgroup.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 31, 2008

  3. Defjr

    Scrat Guest

    Look at your bios.

    \s

    Scrat, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Defjr

    Guest

    On Mar 30, 3:48 pm, Defjr <> wrote:
    > I would like a date that MS is going to have the +4 gigs of RAM issue fixed
    > on Vista Ultimate 64. Anyone have any info, as MS doesnt say a word? I have a
    > sweet machine that works beautifully......................If you discount the
    > 8g RAM bug. I have all Vista 64 Certified components, and untill I ran into
    > this problem, there was no for-warning from MS. Its like if they ignore the
    > problem it will just go away. IM NOT GOING AWAY BILL GATES!! FIX YOUR
    > S@#T!!!!!

    Bios memory remap.

    This 4 and 8 G talk doesn't make much sense. If you can't do 4, you
    can't do 8.

    , Mar 31, 2008
  5. It works fine. What hardware are you using? Maybe it's a conflict between
    some of your hardware. Some motherboards are finicky with the types and
    brands of RAM they use. What kind of bugs are you experiencing?

    --

    Dustin Harper

    Dustin Harper, Mar 31, 2008
  6. Defjr

    Theo Guest

    You need to check the capabilities of your motherboard
    carefully.

    I have 8GB DDR2-400 installed on a Biostar TA770 A2+ running
    both Vista x64 and Win XP x64 and all 8GB are visible and
    available to both systems.

    Windows is not the problem, it's your hardware causing the
    problem!

    Theo, Mar 31, 2008
  7. Defjr

    Theo Guest

    You need to check the capabilities of your motherboard
    carefully.

    I have 8GB DDR2-800 installed on a Biostar TA770 A2+ running

    Theo, Mar 31, 2008
  8. Defjr

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Theo" <> wrote in message

    > Windows is not the problem, it's your hardware causing the problem!

    Not necessarily. There are examples of software that won't run
    with more than 4 GB RAM installed even though the hardware is perfect.
    Hauppauge's PVR software is one example.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 31, 2008
  9. It isn't a Windows problem. It is a problem with some consumer mobos,
    especially ones that use nVidia chipsets. If you are using pc6400 ram
    reduce the dram speed to 667.
    \

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 31, 2008
  10. It isn't the amount of ram. It is the number of memory sticks. Its the
    fourth stick that is an issue with some mobos. Four sticks at 667 seems to
    work but not 800.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 31, 2008
  11. Theo is right.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 31, 2008
  12. Defjr

    Theo Guest

    Then I would say it's Hauppauge software at fault, not Windows.

    I have 4 sticks of 2GB PC6400 and I have yet to encounter
    any problems running it at full speed, DDR2-800.

    Theo, Mar 31, 2008
  13. Defjr

    Carlos Guest

    It is amazing how users point their guns to Vista so easily.
    Last week one guy at the company told me that his newest Vista laptop could
    not play some videos and audio files and that he was seriously thinking about
    going back to XP because Vista was just a piece of c.... (well, you know the
    word).
    I suggested him to install an audio/video decoder like ffdshow and that was
    it, another happy user of Vista.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 31, 2008
  14. Defjr

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Theo" <> wrote in message
    > Then I would say it's Hauppauge software at fault, not Windows.

    Yes, it is Hauppauge's fault. You said, however, that if it isn't Windows fault, it
    must be a
    hardware fault and I proved that it isn't necessarily a hardware fault.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 31, 2008
  15. Defjr

    Theo Guest

    Just because you jumped in and altered the original subject
    doesn't mean you proved anything. The original post was
    about Vista not recognizing 8GB of memory and for that case
    it is the motherboard and/or the BIOS. I know the BIOS is
    software, but it establishes the hardware functions.

    You jumped in about Hauppaguge software which is not the
    same subject and you didn't prove anything related to the OP!

    Theo, Mar 31, 2008
  16. It varies among mobos and chipsets. Even when four sticks of pc6400 is
    supported the limit one mobo I saw online was 7GB using 4x2GB memory and a
    64bit operating system. What is working on one's own system is no measure
    of what is or is not working on other's systems when it comes to this ram
    issue.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 31, 2008
  17. Yeah, you and I can't count the number of Vista-blamers for their old video
    card, wireless adaptor, or sound card not having drivers.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 31, 2008
  18. I had an interesting discussion with a tech at a major online retailer on
    this. He said that several major mobos have this problem, but that upping
    the voltage to the memory stabilizes them. They've seen a lot of this. So if
    you have a mobo with the problem, try going into the BIOS and tweaking up
    the voltage to the RAM. It won't solve it for all of them, but it does for
    some.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 4, 2008
  19. The recommendation is one tenth of a volt. I have seen cautions not to
    exceed this.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 4, 2008
  20. Defjr

    Don Guest

    Best thing to do, is look up the specs for the ram, at the rated speed will
    be running.

    For instance, my 4gb of Corsair Dominators PC8500, are rated to run 1066 mhz
    at 2.1v, at 800 mhz they are rated to run at 1.8v.

    I have been running 4 sticks, at the 1066 mhz speed, in my 780i MB, with no
    issue. Actually, the EPP recognizes them at 2.2v, so I pretty much leave it
    there since I am running 4 sticks.
    The timings, for running 1066 mhz, are spec'd at 5-5-5-15-2t, for 800 mhz
    more like 4-4-4-12-2t. On some motherboards, like Nvidia, you can enable sli
    ready ram, and it should read the EPP and automatically set these.
    If not, then you can manually go in and set the timings and voltage, per
    mfg's ram spec.

    --
    Don

    Don, Apr 4, 2008